Vet to centerfire, NEW to precision Rimfire. have Q's, could use tips, advice input.

tresmon

WhipperSnapper
Hey crew,

Been shooting f-class a long while but just got my first high(er) end .22.

SO first I'll do a little show & tell, tell you what I have- then I hope you pro's will chime in with advice, tips, tricks and suggestions.

The rifle:

CZ 452 Action, trigger
Benchmark 2 groove choked, reverse tapered 26" Lilja match camber
Dip products +20 moa dovetail to weaver base
Burris Z rings, 30mm
Voretex Viper PST, 6-25x50 MOA Illum. reticle, first focal plane scope
Boyd's (PINE!)

Tacticool stock, pillar bedded (ugh)
Sinclair Tactical bipod
Action/barrel in gun coat od green by Predator Custom
Stock: "stone" paint, brown, rattle can: Rustoelum
'Pod: " " " " " " and Krylon "light woodland green"

Smithed by Predator Custom.

** a barrel tuner is on the way & will be installed in the next month.

Here we go:

DSCF0232.jpg

DSCF0233.jpg

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

Thanks for letting me play show'n'tell.

Thus far I have tested the following ammo at 112yds:

Wolf ME
SK Target rifle
RWS match rifle
RWS Target Rifle
Lap Center-X
Fiochii Super match 320
Eley club
FGMM 922a.
Fiocchii Super Match 320

(My ammo budget won't let me shoot any ammo thats more than $10/box)

My rifle OBVIOUSLY liked the 922a best thus far. No need to measure.
I shot 10 rounds of the test ammos to zero the rifle at range with each new brand and to re-season the bore for that ammo's lube.
I used the remaining 40 rounds per to fire 4, 10-shot groups at range.

I tested at 112 yards, the only decent place I could make a range at my buddies property where I'm staying & working right now.
Groups were shot off a bipod & rear bag from the ground in prone.

Per cleaning: I was cleaning every 50 rounds, but per my research, evidently I should stop cleaning the bore all together, and just watch for the lead/carbon ring in the lead to start re/undersizing the bullets.

The purpose of this rifle is to (Have fun! ; ) )learn to read the wind better. I shoot it out to 2C & 3C yards.

However I would also like to try 50yd BR. I think it would be fun...and addicting.
I also would like to try silhouette matches with it.
Well and rimfire tactical matches too. Okay any rimfire match!

So that's where I'm at thus far, what I'm doing and what I know.

I'd love any & all feedback I can get on the rifle, the chamber (??,) ammo, ammo testing, cleaning just whatever.

This rifle in only a few months has taught me WAY more than any centerfire ever has.
Thanks so much for helping!
Merry Christmas,
Tres

Tres,

Not really sure what exactly you're asking but I'll take a stab. First, keep it clean, most match shooters will clean every target, maybe two. As has been said by a very good gunsmith, "clean is repeatable, dirty is not".
You first have to ask yourself what you want to do. I'ts a very nice gun and you seem to have worked on it. If you're going to have fun, do some testing, shoot some club stuff, you're on your way.
If you think you're headed for sanctioned matches, do not invest anything further here because it's very rare to have a factory based rig hold it's own in any serious comp shooting. If your headed for competition you need the proper tool for the job.

No difference in cleaning either a centerfire or rimfire rifle. There are more individual "beliefs" in the rimfire world but it ain't rocket science. Use a bore guide, a one piece rod, bronze brushes and good fitting patches.

I've never taken the time to test ammo except where I ran into the ammo man at a match but you gotta work fast to get the better lots. The word on good ammo travels fast. There is no word on great ammo. Buy some, shoot it and hope you can get some more if your rifle likes it.

Pretty good target there for that distance!

Back