very smooth bbl, Remington..

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I just did a little work on a new Remington 700 CXR in 300WSM, the rifle grouped well considering he tupperware Hogue stock which is right on the barrel but the thing that most surprised me was that in cleaning the rifle I found the bore to be very smooth. I fired 11 rds and cleaned the bore 3 times, there was zero roughness, tightness, irregularity in the bore....it patched out like a Match barrel.

If this is indicative of the latest Remington barrels than I'm pleasantly surprised.

al

Al,

I have a 1 year old XR-100 in 308 (special run) and the barrel on it looks really good with a endoscope. It is very smooth.

Only problem is it has a throat like a giraffe...yet shoots fairly well with 168 smk's.

i.e, it will brake the same hole if I do my part.

Ben

Al,

I went out to friends ranch the other day & finally got to test some loads for a used vssf swift I have been wanting to play with in regards to powder.

I'm still a little slow in the 22-250 range & need to dump a hair more powder but had 2 three shots touching w the N140.

Only about 8 shots fired and the guy I bought it from said he only shot a box of factory & purchased new.

Came home & could not believe how slick the patches whent through the bore like you stated...like snot on a door knob??

pf
<><

I haven't been so lucky, I got sps dm 308 in for stock. Well I bore scope every factory rifle before I put it on the shelf for sale. This rifle looked like someone dragged a minerature tig welder throuh the bore. It started in the throat went down about 8" and then spun about 3-4 circles, completely wipping out the lands where it crossed them. Had another remmy this spring that had excessive headspace, both bolt lugs looked like they had been filed on by a 15 year old. I assumed the barrel was fit improperly and instead of taking the gun down they filled the back of the lugs for bolt nose clearance.

Yes both were factory new from the wholesaler.

jim?

Was the sps barrel a matte c.m.?I have had really good luck with the ss bores,not saying how they shoot,but the bores are much better than the c.m. ones.I think rem. hammer forges the barrels?,but i really believe the ss ones are button as they look really different than the c.m. on the inside.

How much actual experience do you really have? Paul

I went out to friends ranch the other day & finally got to test some loads for a used vssf swift I have been wanting to play with in regards to powder.

I'm still a little slow in the 22-250 range & need to dump a hair more powder but had 2 three shots touching w the N140.

Only about 8 shots fired and the guy I bought it from said he only shot a box of factory & purchased new.

Came home & could not believe how slick the patches whent through the bore like you stated...like snot on a door knob??

pf
<><

Yes Mr Fielder how much actual experience do you really have with "Snot on a door knob"

well...

Yes Mr Fielder how much actual experience do you really have with "Snot on a door knob"

...there are no door knobs on my kids rooms any longer:)

Your post reminded me of a comedian skit I saw one time where this guy kept talking about boogers & snot.

"Said you could hold up a bank with a booger!!"

I do have more actual experience about "trusting a fart."

I guess this is really hijacking Al's thread:)

pf
<><

We Never left camp...

Darn! Why did I worry about dead hogs!

....John.

We stopped at a spot on the way and shot some doves. Burned some meat & did a little work around camp. It's hard to believe but Starr County is like the amazon right now. Grass is too high and we aren't sure where we can get around or sink to the axles...Sure hope we get a good light freeze early this year. Deer are not even coming to feeders cuz they got such good grub all ver the place.

I did tippy toe over to our picnic table and checked on of Dad's new toys. He was wanting a used Nightforce to put on an AR for the piggy's & found him one but it just so happen to already be attached to a 700 sendero 25-06. I told him we HAD to shoot it before we pulled. 1st shot from the clean bbl was like +/- 2" away from the aiming point and next 4 shots were touching @ the bull shooting factory Federal 120gr fusions!!

Haven't cleaned it yet but will do that in a bit....we'll see how the barrel feels. I guess he'll be keeping the gun too!! IT could feel like gator skin as far as I'm concerned if it can have factory ammo clumped in 1/2" for it's first time out!!

pf
<><

Back