Velocity gain?

Travelor

We just got back from the Southern National RF Silhouette matches. The ammo that was being "pushed" this year was Eley Pistol Extra with the dimpled nose for $500 a case. I assume the velocities printed on the boxes are from a pistol barrel, probably 10". Any idea what the gain would be for 1047 fps on the box when fired from a 20" rifle barrel?

BTW, I took my Anschutz 1712 to the bench with a sample box of it and shot a 5 shot test group. It shot well under an inch with 3 shots going into .350" and the other 2 stringing slightly down wind but with no vertical with no flags. The lot was 1006-4040 1047 fps. I know this was a very crude test, but that was all there was as this was a standing prone match.

Thanks,
George

Not really pistol ammo ?

I think that the dimpled ammo was designated pistol to tell it apart from other, and the biggest difference is where the ogive contacts the rifling. Someone with a lot more time in this game told me that. I suspect the velocity given is not for a pistol but rather for a rifle.

The same

The, as you put it, Dimpled Nose, is the EPS bullet that Eley introduced several years ago. It is used in Long Rifle Match Rounds as well as Pistol. Only the Powder Charge is different for the Pistol round. Check out Eley's web site for the most up to dat information. Most like the reason for pushing this Pistol line at the event, was price drive.

Eps

EPS, although generally associated with the new bullet design, does not describe the bullet.

EPS is the abbreviation for Eley's Enhanced Priming System which came about at the same time the new bullet design was introduced.

Many of us at our club (San Angelo Gun Club) have just been introduced to rim fire silhouette shooting. Most of us are using the cheap bulk ammo and are doing fine with it. It will shoot about a 1 inch group at 50 yards from the bench. When we shoot off of our hind legs we can shoot closer to a four to six inch group at 50 yards. Is there a reason why we need $55 a brick ammo for this type of shooting when what we are using is around $14 for 525 or 550?

That is a lot of difference for a 1/2" gain at 50 yards. We are not shooting benchrest.

Concho Bill

Same priming

The round nose bullet shares the same priming system. The initials EPS, only appear on the boxes with the Dippled bullet.
Like I said before, check out the Eley site for the most up to date information.

I see people say this all the time, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it stood for Enhanced Production System.
EPS, although generally associated with the new bullet design, does not describe the bullet.

EPS is the abbreviation for Eley's Enhanced Priming System which came about at the same time the new bullet design was introduced.

Answer

Well, the answer is that the rifle velocity for Pistol Extra showing a speed of 1047 on the box is 1075 out of a Anschutz 1712.

Back