Vanderbilt University and football

Butch Lambert

My Grandson, Josh Lambert, was invited to Vanderbilt U this next week about playing football for them. As far as I can tell it is a very good institution for learning, but may be playing in a very tough conference. What can you tell me about the school and the city of Nashville? Josh and I will be there next Tuesday afternoon and will leave Wednesday afternoon.
Butch

My Grandson, Josh Lambert, was invited to Vanderbilt U this next week about playing football for them. As far as I can tell it is a very good institution for learning, but may be playing in a very tough conference. What can you tell me about the school and the city of Nashville? Josh and I will be there next Tuesday afternoon and will leave Wednesday afternoon.
Butch
Butch, two years ago my 13 year old granddaughter broke her back by falling off the top of a cheerleader pyramid. They took her to Vandy for surgery. Now she loves the place and wants to go to school there for her medical training. It is that kind of place.

The best in academics but about average in football, but they have to compete in the Southeast Conference with Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Miss State, Old Miss, USC, UT, UK, The Razors and that bunch of whimps....so???

My next door neighbor is a Vandy graduate and he loved it. It is a high dollar school in more ways than one.

Tell him congratulations from me!! He may not choose go there but he has been picked by the best!!

You couldn't ask for a better place. Great climate. I forget the name of the street, but it goes right downtown. It is lined with good resturants and other places. The park nearby has a exact copy of the Parthenon. Exact inside far out, just like the real one. Unbelieveable. As far as the university, it's reputation is first rate. Great football team.

Roy

Butch, if he's going to win football games, Vandy has a tough row to hoe in the SEC. It's a solid program that would dominate several conferences and he should be proud to have been invited. That said, it's one of the very top academic universities in the country, and a degree from Vanderbilt is, in itself, a very special pedigree. They hold a very high standard for academics. They are sometimes called the "Harvard of The South".
I live about an hour from Nashville. It's a great town that's known for it's hospitatlity. Nashville has plenty to offer and the Southern charm of a smaller town...but it's no small town, just has that feel. He will be playing in a conference that will get him lots of exposure, if he develops into the talent that pro teams are looking for....they'll see him.
I'm a die hard UK fan, but give Vandy the credit that they deserve. As an academic institute, they are first class all the way, and he should jump at the chance to go to such a school, unless he has truely pro potential. In that case, I say go where he has a premier football program to play in. Otherwise, Vandy is a great choice IMO.
I'd love to visit with you while you're so close, if you have the time. You could make it a business trip and bring me a tuner...kinda joking...kinda not. I would be happy to meet you somewhere and have lunch/dinner. PM or call me.---Mike Ezell

Vanderbilt is huge and the area around the school is densely packed city. The trip to downtown is short. My kid will be attending Belmont this fall just caddy corner across the road.

Last trip down we stayed in Brentwood, traveled back and forth on Franklin Pike Road which parallels the interstate. It's an easy drive without bad congestion and a good choice of motels. There are a bunch of motels near the airport, too, and access from that location is not bad.

Can't say I recommend the Hilton Garden Inn on Broadway. Medicre facility for the cost and expensive parking.

Butch,
Your grandson my have a real opportunity. As has already been said, the education alone is worth some serious bucks. I don't think it would be unreasonable to think it could be worth several million in lifetime earnings, probably waaaay past that.

Also,if you're not from Nashville you may not know that the new football coach is stirring up some buzz around the country with his recruiting. For the first time, Vandy is looking at the entire country and has recieved commitments from some of the nation's best this year. The man has the skills and enthusiasm to make some waves at vandy. As has also been said the SEC is a tough conference, maybe the toughest, but the opportunity is there. Given what Coach Franklin is going after says a lot about your grandson's qualifications.

Rick

Thanks very much for the replies. I think we will have a great visit. Mike, just say the word. I think we could have a meal Tuesday evening if possible. I could bring a tuner with me also.
Butch

Native Nashvillian here...

Going to Vandy is like going to Harvard, Princeton, Standford, etc. You just cannot be from a better school.

The campus is urban, but beautiful.

That nearby park with the Parthenon is Centenial Park. It's beautiful, but tell him not to go there after dark.

Lots and lots to do in Nashville. Pro football and hockey. AAA league baseball. Great music scene, obviously.

Lots of good food and music right near the campus. Tell him I said to check out "Obie's Pizza".

There are numerous lakes and rivers nearby, if he likes fishing.

Really nice Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays range not too far away and the Gallatin range where Mike shoots isn't too far away, either.

Last edited:
Butch, it was very nice to visit with you and Josh. I see why you are so proud of him...seems like an outstanding young man, and deserving of such an offer from Vandy. I wish him luck with his decision and thank you for everything. --Mike Ezell

Butch-Prattville, Al won state championship 3 yrs ina row. Larry Smith, a tremendous athlete willl be at Vanderbilt. They have an agressive coach and will surprise a few folks in the tough SEC. Good luck! The boy will love Nashville!! V/R Greg

We came away with a very favorable opinion of the City, University, and the coaching staff. We will have to see what happens. Both of us enjoyed the experience.
Mike, maybe we can find the black and tan next time. I really liked your windflags.
Butch

Butch,
I work in healthcare for a large healthcare company and my office is next to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt is one of the finest schools in the country and if he receives his B.S./B.A. from there, you can rest assured that there is no place he can't go. I grew up in Brentwood and am a native Tennessean. Vandy is an Ivy league school. Football isn't their strength but academics are. They have one of the best research healthcare facilities in the country rivaling Mayo Clinic. The only downside, Vanderbilt is full of bran muffin eaters (libs). Good luck to your Grandson.

Vandy told us going in that they would make a decision later. It makes it tough if you wait, the other doors closeup. Got a call from Iowa State today. He will visit them Friday. He would really like to go to Vandy. Pictured below is a photo taken by Chris Sailer. Chris has the foremost kicking, punting, and long snapper origanization in the USA. Chris handles the kicking camps also for Oregon, UCLA, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and others.

http://twitpic.com/5spllt

Butch

Really nice Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays range not too far away and the Gallatin range where Mike shoots isn't too far away, eithe

I was wondering why you didntask about rifle ranges. Someone else noted that some shooting facility is nearby.

I found Joe Hallers range cause our daughter decided to go to school in Sault Sainte Marie, MI (Soo for short). Dont ever call the national registration numbers for the major motel chains. The young dumpling on the end dont know the 'Soo' is spelled Sault and she will say "we dont have a motel there"!!

Last edited:
robertb and Dentist1, thanks for your input. langenc,
It appears in college football any more it is a year around deal. Maybe 2 weeks before practice begins for the year is the only time that they have. Josh has already cleaned his rifles and shotguns and put them away. We get to the range only every once and a while.
Butch

Back