Value of 51 yr old 40X LNIB

Travelor

I have found a LNIB Remington 40X RF heavy barrel position gun in the factory wood box with factory papers and Olympic sights and the barrel stamp indicates it was made in 1957.

Any idea what it would be worth as a collectors item? Otherwise?

What about the value of a Lyman Target Spot scope also LNIB in the factory wooden Box with factory papers?

I know it is off topic a bit for the BR forum, but I think you guys know your guns and can help me.

George

George, I could be wrong, but I don't think that is the original box. I have a early 60's 40X with the original box, and it is cardboard. Maybe someone will chime in that knows more.... Either way, you did not get hurt.
Steve

40x

George,

I have to agree with Steve. To my knowledge Remington boxes were cardboard. That appears to be someones hand made box which is what a lot of shooters of that era did, (Pre plastic and aluminum boxes). Some were horizontal (like yours), some were vertical carrying the rifle upright.

Nice Rifle.

bjm

Box

Seewin, thanks for the response and heads up, I believed all along that it was probably not original box, but was hoping. I have not seen a gun come in such a wooden box from a US manufacturer. Guess I should have described it Like New In Another Box (LNIAB).

But that box looks nice and I am just a sucker for a really nice single shot 22 RF.................. I was having a really hard time resisting this nice old gun and scope as I have never seen one like it before.

Maybe I do not run in the right circles - maybe I need to change circles.

Last edited:
George,
The Winchester 52 Target and 70 Targets did come in a wooden box up to the early 60's when they switched to cardboard. The Remington 37 came in wood box as well, but of course it was discontinued in the 50's. I have seen previous owners put hinges and and a handle on their original wood 52 box and use it for transporting their rifle back and forth to the range.
As far as that addiction to the nice 22 single shot rifles, there are more than a few of us with same affliction...so far, no known cure!
Steve

40X rifles in BR competition . . .

I bought my first 40X from Al Freeland in 1958. Probably was made in 1957. It came in a cardboard box. Paid $98.00 for it. Extra for the Olympic iron sights. I bought a M52C for my girlfriend a year later for $109. It came in a wood box.

If you just want that 40X as a collection piece, the price was right. If you wanted it to compete in ARA, RBA or IR-50/50, it would need some custom work to make it competitive; Like an extra $600 for a BR stock, $600 for a custom barrel, $150 for a barrel tuner. and $150 for a 2 oz. trigger.

As it is now, it is too heavy for the 10.5 lb. RBA & IR-50/50 classes.

Thanks to Bill Clinton, and the EPA, many indoor 50 foot ranges were closed in the 1990s because of lead poison phobia. A LOT of rifles were turned back to the CMP, that were on loan to ROTC and other Junior clubs, because those ranges were closed. Four years ago CMP sold 3500 used Remington 40X rifles to members of CMP clubs. Later a smaller lot of Winchester 52Bs and Cs were sold.

I got to thinking about all those nice old Smallbore rifles that were used in NRA Prone and Position Leagues and Tournaments. There are no rimfire benchrest classses that those rifles would fit in.

What a shame! Thousands of match grade target rifles that can't be used in Rimfire Benchrest matches, because there is no class they will fit in. They are just sitting in gun safes all over the country.

So: Why not set up a class for them? Who would be willing to do it? I asked that question over on Rimfire Central. I got a bunch of answers: All positive. So we came up with some suggestions for rules: Voted on them and now we have an On-Line Match for "Vintage Smallbore Rifles".

We started this new class last October and it is gaining in popularity. If any of you here have one of those fine old rifles in your gun safe and would like to use is, in benchrest competition: Take a look at our rules, here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222687

That forum is for posting 50 yard Vintage Smallbore scores. We also have a 25 yard match, using the same USBR target. The rules are the same for the 25 yard match and you can get to that match here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222552

We added an iron sight match for the Vintage Smallbore rifle in January. We use the NRA A23/5 target for that match. If you don't have a scope on the rifle, but have the irons: Take a look here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223113

You can shoot alone on your home range. Or, go to one of our clubs that sponsors RFC Matches. Or organize a group of shooters at your home club, shoot your local matches and post your scores with us in the "On-Line" matches on RFC. We have shooters from many States, from Canada, England and Brazil.

Joe Haller.

George, Question, How many diffrent sites do you need to post this on. Why do you need vaildation for your purchase. You seem to be getting the same answer in all of them. Why??????

Joe Haller,
I started out shooting rimfire benchrest with a 52-B shooting USRA IR 50/50 Unlimited and over 1/2 the guns on the line were 52's I also shot ARA with a 52 for a year.

Paul

Very Nice Rifle

George,

Can't really help add whether you got a good deal or not, for I'm really new to this shooting thing and 22 rifles, but it's really how you feel about it. I will say that when I started researching it I zeroed in on the 40X and got the chance to acquire a good one to shoot ARA.
I've already shot 2 matches and proud to say I've got a 2175 under my belt plus won a target and it's the rifle at this point plus getting it setup to go didn't hurt. So as Mr. Haller pointed out the 40X's can do some shooting with some tuning. You really didn't say what your intentions were with the rifle but I'd leave her as a beauty of her time and I know that I'd be proud to own her. Congrats on your purchase and hopefully you'll enjoy her for many many years.

Note the 40X action I have was built in 1958 and to think 50 years later she's going strong.

Les

Thanks

Guys, my post was two fold in it's reason, first to asked the approx value as I do not have a real answer, and second to brag a little as to the condition of a gun I bought.

I am buying the gun as an collector item, not as a shooter. I have other psoition guns and do not want to shoot something as rare as this appears to be (age vs condiiton).

George

Pride of ownership

Being an avid collector I understand both pride of ownership and bragging rights for a new Gun. It's a beauty and personally I'm glad to have seen it. Good Luck in all your hunting for new treasures. Fred

Back