Using a laser pointer to plot wind-flag location.

VaniB

Does anybody own a green laser pointer, who can tell me if the laser is bright enough to be seen on a white paper target in broad daylight at 100 yards?

LET ME EXPLAIN WHAT I BUILT:

I built a red laser device that I can mount on my spotting-scope stand and use at the public firing range to help me plot the course of my wind flags. It holds a red laser pointer and a rifle scope to focus precisely onto the bull of a target at 100 yards. In this manner the proper path for determing where my wind-flags should be placed can be accurately determined when I'm at the range by myself. Previously, without somebody there at my bench to give me hand signals and guide me to "go right" or "go left" with the flags, I was inadvertently placing them in the path of the guys next to me. BUT.....IT'S TOO BAD....that the common red laser pointer that I used isn't bright enough to be seen on the paper at 100 yards in bright day-light. :rolleyes: (When I built and tested it, it worked great on the neigbor's tree shadowed brick walls some 5 houses up.) They say green lasers are way brighter....but I'd like to know if it will workl before I go order it on the net.

I swear....If I don't find me a laser that works, I'll just revert to bringing my kids fishing rod with me next time and stringing out a 100 yard path of nylon line with me out to the target. (and tripping everybody else in the process.:D )

I own 10-12 red lasers up to 3000.00 construction "transit" grading lasers. None of them project as you'd like. We use laser "receiver" pickup units at 250-400.00 a pop to read the beam at distance.

al

Vanib you are really opening a giant can of worms here. You should do a search. There was a recent thread with about 5 pages of comments and much heated and hurtful debate.
Might help you avoid some things in the future you dont want to deal with.
For the record I used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread but after being temporarily blinded I have other thoughts as do others as you will find when you do the search. If you cant find it let me know and I will send you the link.

Vanib you are really opening a giant can of worms here. You should do a search. There was a recent thread with about 5 pages of comments and much heated and hurtful debate.
Might help you avoid some things in the future you dont want to deal with.
For the record I used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread but after being temporarily blinded I have other thoughts as do others as you will find when you do the search. If you cant find it let me know and I will send you the link.

Thanks Vern for the warning....and what surprise to read your comment; I had ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE that this is something that is not unique. And here I am thinking that I came up with an ingenious device that I invented all by myself. As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention", and so I thought I invented this. LOL.

Ok....I will not get into it. But I will just say that I have always been aware of the dangers of looking into a laser. I think we all at one time or another have had the joy of inadvertently looking down into the scanner at the Home Depot/Lowes, and walked away seeing spots and wondering if we just finished being blinded. The difference is that I thought I would be setting the laser to a low point on the target, and in my own lane. So, I figured why would somebody purposely get in my firing line, and then stoop down low enough into an awkward position to purposely look into the laser beam. (Kind of like kneeling in the middle of the street to look at oncoming traffic ??? )

BUT....I suppose there could be a real danger if somebody who does spot the device sitting on my bench is curious enough to walk up to the device and stoop down to examine it, inedvertently looking into the beam. I suppose if use such a device, I'll now be well advised to put a warning sign next to it and keep an eye open to make sure I'm aware what folks around my bench are doing.

OK....Thanks again for making me aware that there are even such devices in use. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Vani I posted a request for info on this back in 03-04
I was the first or one of the first to investigate it but then I took a 5 year leave.
During that time it was 2-3 years before anyone ever responded to those posts.
HOWEVER my problem was that there was one on the line and I accidentally walked into the path because of uneven terrain and got zapped in the eye and was unable to see clearly for several relays.
Like I said search the posts and you will find that one. There was much "OPINION" given with no real fact BUT then several named shooters offered up some real statistical info on lasers and the real damage they can do. The only way is to read the whole post from beginning to end and see the "facts" that were posted and omit the "opinions". Opinions are like bodily orifices every one has one an many people are one.
Just look at the evidence presented then make your own decision.

I own two "greens" use them to teach stars and constelations aboard ship. DO NOT project them horizontaly across ground at human height. Ask your self, would you fire your rifle when someones down range?

In case anybody cares to know about the practical use and working aspects of the available green lasers out there; I ran two different threads elsewhere in the black-rifle websights asking about it. There are forums there that delve exclusvely into laser equipment used for tactical applications. Some of those folks there, especially the police and military guys, are very familiar with the potency of various lasers being used in real world experince. I had two different individuals proceed to explaine to me that in order for the green laser to work in bright daylight at 100 yards, I will need to use a minimum 50mw green laser. While the common green laser 5mw units available on Ebay for $3 to $9 might or might not be a concern and debate about eye injury, I have no doubt that a 50mw laser is way too risky to expose out into the open on unknowing individuals.

Sooooo.........to plot my wind flags, I guess I'll now try using a 100yard spool of red weed whacker cord and a big fishing rod reel. But, if some guy walking around out there ends up snagging himself on my line, will I get in trouble for reeling him in without a license?

Dewalt has a little laser target that is used for suspended ceilings and is attached to the track with a magnet. They also make safety glasses that help in seeing the red beam.

I have a couple of the Dewalt's, being low powered red lasers they're rated as "eye safe." They will not project a visible beam in daylight beyond 10-50ft depending on brightness of the day, even with the viewing glasses. A sensor will pick them up at 500ft. I am convinced that anything that's visible in daylight is NOT eye safe.

Crazy idea but maybe you could put a flashlight in the end a longish pvc tube and aim it boresight style towards the target and when you are down range looking into the tube and lined up with the target the light will be seen when you line up just right with it looking into the tube since the light will be visible since it's in the shade of the tube Maybe a flashlight with a red lens would be more visible used this way? or a red flashing halloween light?
Gotta work on this one.

Crazy idea but maybe you could put a flashlight in the end a longish pvc tube and aim it boresight style towards the target and when you are down range looking into the tube and lined up with the target the light will be seen when you line up just right with it looking into the tube since the light will be visible since it's in the shade of the tube Maybe a flashlight with a red lens would be more visible used this way? or a red flashing halloween light?
Gotta work on this one.

Naaaaa.....I think you would have a heck of a time trying to visually locate that speck of light that is sitting inside a tube from 100 yards away. There's also only so much time allowed during relays at my public firing range, before I end up being the only clown out there that is holding up the works for everybody. Nobody else uses wind flags at the public range.

Seriously, I'll build me a large string spool that C-clamps to my bench, and I'll just pull out a 100 yards of nylon string with me. I think I've seen the stuff sold in red for surveying use.

Dewalt has a little laser target that is used for suspended ceilings and is attached to the track with a magnet. They also make safety glasses that help in seeing the red beam.

The issue is being able to spot the laser in bright daylight at 100 yards.

Nothing other then a 50mw strenghth green laser can be seen under those conditions. My standard 5mw red laser works fine on shaded targets out at 100 yards, but NOT on targets that are in day light. The standard 5mw green and red lasers simply cannot be seen at that distance. A 50mw green laser is available and can be bought for only $25, but it is dangerous and definitely out of the question to leave something like that "on" continuously and unmonitored at your bench.

Try using a green target it might help you to find the green laser.

Be aware when using lasers lassers are dangererous and can damage your eyes or even worse someone elses.

Twentytwo

Not crazy, very good idea. Range board affect. Two range stakes would do the same. And if anyone doubts how accurate you can lay off them, just ask any artilleryman how he lays in his gun. (well in my day)

I second Vern's recommendation. It was on this board that a discussion took place. If you search under green laser for flag setting, you should be able to find the thread. A lot of good information and controversy. Basically not a bad idea IF everyone in the field that may come in eye contact with the laser has appropriate wave length eye protection, it might be useful. A Mayo Clinic ophthamologist actually opened an eyeball and studied the effect on the retina in an eye exposed to green laser of specific wattage for three exposure times. (He got the eye and permission from a patient that had to have the eye removed for a cancerous growth). Not much more specific information than that.

Last edited:
Back