Used BR gun worries????

tiny68

I am wanting to leave my Savage 30BR at home and have a true BR rifle for 2011. I have been following the classifieds on here and AccurateShooter. I have seen some what appear to be really good deals. My concerns is that these guns, especially the bargain price ones, are lemons. I know I have factory guns that I just couldn't make shoot. Trigger, bedding, recrowning, nothing seemed to help. I have come to accept the fact that some action/barrel/stocks just don't work together and if bedding, a trigger tune up, and a little load develop don't produce a 1 MOA or better I dump it at the next gunshow. I accept that a rebarrel is likely. However, do some actions just not shoot? I am only going to able to have a single gun. Honestly, a personal inspection by me would do no good. I know I keep my factory shooters. Are there competitive rigs to be found or do you keep your shooters? I know to ask who the gunsmith was and if the rifle has been competitive. Just nervous about making a the commitment on a lemon. Maybe I should ask the question this way, how many of you have owned BR rigs that you couldn't easily make competitive and how often does that happen?

Life long rookie, Tim

Generally the bargain priced ones are F.U.G.L.Y. I've seen some downright nasty looking rigs that someone's say tried to paint an eagle or a waving flag on ... or some unidentifiable four-legged critter....

Or, RBRP always goes cheap.....

Or it's an old stock like the original McMillan BR style stock.

IMO true lemons are rare although I have a hunch Wilbur will disagree...... he's seem some doozers from the sounds of it.

Bob White gives a trustworthy pedigree on his sales.

al

Buying a used BR rifle is a great way to get into the game. My advice is to buy some rifle built on a custom action any of the before mentioned actions will do nicely. Make up your mind which you prefer and find a rifle built on that action with a stock that you can live with. Barrels on a used rifle should be thought of as tomato stakes. Be prepared to have the rifle rebarreled. If priced right the used rifle will only about reflect the price of the action new and the stock new but not the cost of puting this togeather. If you are lucky the barrel will be OK and will do while you are learning more to shoot and can rebarrel later. If the barrel is a hummer go and buy a lottery ticket.

In general Benchrest shooters are honest decent people (I have never dealt with anyone that was not) so buying from somebady frequenting this site or somebady refered to by someone here should not be a problem

Most of us who have been at this have had a component fail, or "just wouldn't shoot."

You've already committed to a new barrel, that approaches $500.

Triggers cost far less, and can usually be rebuilt, though I have no idea of the cost for that work. It may be cheaper to buy a new one. They also don't seriously fail very often.

Scopes are like barrels, They're going to fail. They are also like barrels in that occasionally you get a lemon when brand new, but it seems to be pretty infrequent.

Stocks loose fashion. Don't wear white after labor day, right? A rifle may need rebedding (regluing), but I've never heard of one failing unless the owner was violently frustrated.

Which leaves actions. There are lemons. They are quite rare. They are the devil to fix. It isn't a matter of the threads being off-center, the lugs not true, the receiver front or boltface off. Usually, it is something in the firing mechanism. Bolt shroud off center and/or pressing on the striker. Firing pin withdrawing too far. It is just hard to diagnose a sick action. Did I mention this is quite rare?

Here is another way to look at it. I bought my first benchrest rifle used, from someone I knew. He had been winning with it at club matches. It was built on a 40-X. He wanted a James Messer-built rifle, and by selling his old rifle & a little savings, he could get one.

I used this rifle for a couple years. Remember, he, and it, had been winning at the club level, and doing OK in the SER matches. I learned a lot. Are there "problems" with that rifle? Yes, a few. But it had been winning, and nothing changed, which helped me: when the performance was off, I couldn't blame the rifle! For some reason, it seems easier to blame a new gun with no track record.

People get new rifles all the time. They want something new, or different. The think a new feature will help their shooting. Or they quit the sport. I remember when a SER region Hall of Fame shooter had to quit -- family/medical reasons. He sold three rifles, one new, two which had won SER regional matches.

A used rifle is one of the best things you can do. It is a plus if you buy it from somebody you know, esp. if they're willing to help you a bit.

FWIW

I think it's easier to buy a good 30BR than it is to buy a 6PPC that will shoot as good over the course of a full season. I got my first Viper from Geo in KY and the thing was good enough to get third in it's first event with a real rookie. My main advice is to get the complete package; rifle, both loading dies, the brass and even bullets if the seller has them. Pay him new replacement cost for the dies and bullets so he won't have any real reason not to sell them.This way all you have to do is bump back the brass, prime - charge - seat - shoot. No load development needed especially if you get a 30BR.

I'm not harping on you Ray, but I hope you can see the foolishness here..

Lessee, 6ppc bbl life 600 to 1200 rds. 30BR 3000 to 6000 rds. I do see the foolishness in thinking your chances of buying a used 30 in it's prime is better than buying a used 6 in it's prime. Plus 30's are less finicky and there seems to be a better chance of getting an outstanding 30 bbl lately. I will stand by my foolishness. :rolleyes:

Pete,

Pete, YOU are correct!

goodgrouper, YOU are certainly correct!

tiny68, there are some GREAT used women!

Just remember when you get one and do rebarel, that tomato stake will probably be a sale saver on your next varmint lemon, as mine ussually still shoot under a .250" group's when there done on my bench gun. So all isn't lost, buy a used BR rifle, with one of the proven custom actions, and when you rebarrel you have a good varmint barrel for your huntin gun, unless you need tomato stakes!

Seriosly I have been shooting a used Panda on an edge stock I bought this spring and kicken but, it's a 1999 action, and the smith was Billy Stevens. I have won more matches than not, it has an edge stock that took me some time to get used to, but when I get my bag setup right it is a hummer, for a newby to the sport I feel it is beneficial to start with a used setup, that was smithed by a known BR gunsmith, and spend your time learning your bench eddecit and tuning, most guy's at matches are more than willing to offer tip's if you ask. I believe most guy's would change there initial settup after a season of competition under there belt anyway, it gives you a better decision of the action stock scope setup you want to put top dollar in. As others have said buy quality used components already put together buy the better smiths and you can get your money back when you want to build your new rig!

Last edited:
Make sure you know all the parts that you are actually getting.
I had a guy listing a gun with a lot of hype about how well it shot and that it had 3 barrels...... but then in talking he stated that the barrel that he was listing the groups for was not for sale and that the other 2 barrels would cost extra.... kind of like the old sales game.

tiny68, there are some GREAT used women!

I am 100% positive my wife wouldn't like me seeking good deals on used women.

Thanks for the discussion and input guys. Unfortunately I don't live within 2 hrs on any range where matches are held and I typically practice alone at a local range. I don't have a shooting partner that is a BR shooter. I will try to see what Bob White has in a couple of weeks. As to the 30BR vs. 6PPC debate, I own a 30BR and have a good selection of brass (turned and not fireformed yet), bullets, and the seater. I shoot score and group at my closest club. The 30BR guys hold there own in the matches I have seen and shot in, even in group. Granted, I don't see 30BRs in many winners list at big shoots. But for a single gun to shoot both, I will go with a 30BR for know. Ideally I want a switch barrel and go back and forth between a PPC and the 30BR. Probably want to just stick with a HV for now. I have read that the LV teaches better bag techniques. Not sure if I want that lesson. Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, Tim

I am in no position to give advice, but I will say that I think a HV is the wrong way to go. If you go with a sporter you can shoot it anywhere you want. I love to shoot my HV but if that is all you have it really limits the number of times you get to compete.

I am in no position to give advice, but I will say that I think a HV is the wrong way to go. If you go with a sporter you can shoot it anywhere you want. I love to shoot my HV but if that is all you have it really limits the number of times you get to compete.

True - That allows me to compete in both LV and HV. My current Savage 30BR is close to 13.5 lbs.

Bought my first BR rifle used from Bob White, a/k/a Shooters Corner. His prices are right and his advice is always spot on. And, he is a pretty good gunsmith.

Bought my first BR rifle used from Bob White, a/k/a Shooters Corner. His prices are right and his advice is always spot on. And, he is a pretty good gunsmith.

"Pretty good" gunsmith...that about wraps it up! :)

If you happen to find a rifle for sale by Roger Avery, buy it. He makes a hobby out of buying so-so rifles and making them shoot REAL GOOD!

Back