Unlimited Rest makers

J

JohnsonGunsmith

I know of Magnum Metal making the unlimited rest that looks great but who else is making them currently? I am in the market and would like to look at a few before a final decision. Thanks guys for all the help with my stupid questions. I really appreciate your patience and willingness to help new people to this sport.

Here's a couple you may want to check into. James Pappas, Allan Hall and Ken Fulgham all make one piece unlimited rests if this is what your looking for.

Sorry I was not clear

Yes I am looking for centerfire, thanks Butch for clearing that up. I like the rimfire competitions but centerfire is eating up all the funds right now. Not that I am complaining this stuff is a blast and the people are great. I am having so much fun and hope to make it to all the matches close by next year and may be even travel a bit. Thanks guys for all your help and kind words.

Rail guns sorry I guess I might learn someday that you guys can't read my mind! Thanks for the link I have plenty to look at now and the rail gun is going to be put off until after a longrange bench gun is built. I am probably getting into more than I can really handle right now but I need to learn all this and thanks guys for helping. I am looking forward to seeing most of you at the range next season.

OK, time to ask *THE* question. Where do you live? We always tell newcomers to "Go to match before laying out any money."

Might apply to you as well for long-range rifles.

Another post mentioned 5" wide forearms . . . well, yes. and 7" wide forearms. That's typical for HGs. Most LGs have 3" forearms. But you *can* have a wider LG forearm if you can make weight.

A 1K HG under all the sanctioning bodies usually uses a double pedestal rest, just like some old-fashioned RTB setups, except the rifle must ride in sandbags, which means it isn't a true RTB. In IBS, there must be 1/2 inch of bag between the rest and the rifle. No such rule in NBRSA, just the usual "deflection" rule. And in NBRSA, a LG can use a double-pedestal rest, but not in IBS. I forget Pennsylvania on that one.

Oh. And while the front and rear pedestal must not be conjoined when shooting, there are a number which are conjoined for setting up the rifle, then unbolted to shoot.

If you're in the Midwest or East coast, you'll shoot IBS or Pennsylvania rules. If in Arizona or California, NBRSA rules.

It is winter, and there probably aren't any matches you can go to. But if you live near an experienced competitor, they may invite you to a range to see & shoot the rifles. Even at 100-200 yards, there is a lot you can learn.

I'm guessing you're in Texas, and AFAIK, there aren't any IBS/NBRSA 1,000 or 600 yard matches near Fort Worth. But maybe I'm wrong. If you're close enough to central North Carolina, I'd be happy to met you at Rockingham County Gun Club. Or, If you really are near Fort Worth, maybe one of the Texas shooters knows of a range planning to add long-range matches.

Last edited:
Hal Toland sent me an email saying he was wanting to sell his Rail, which is a Young. It doesn't get any better than that............jackie

Charles
I do live in the Ft Worth area and am in the process of building a range out to 600 Yards for benchrest shooting. I have met a lot of good guys from the area that do the 100 and 200 yard shooting I have made a few matches and had a blast. I agree that there are very few ranges doing the longrange stuff and am very intrested in getting some registered matches at my range once it is completed in about a year or so. I have access to the rules books for IBS and NBRSA I will do much more research before building but I do appreciate your advice. Attending a match would be the best way to find out what type gun to build. Thanks for the post and no matter what I choose I love to build these super accurate guns so I can't loose either way. I have been gunsmithing for a few years now and have hit a plateau untill I started shooting benchrest. I am learning again and improving the quality of my work. All thanks to you guys and the knowlege that you share. I owe this community of guys and thank you for your willingness to help. I hope to continue learning and see you all at the range once it is completed. Have a great Thanksgiving
Thanks again
Brandon Johnson
Johnsongunsmithing.com

Back