Unlimited ABRA Bench Gun

joechacon

Hey Guys, 27" Feddersen, Force Action & Stith Stock 10/22 Style Rifle
Got it all together, just got back from the range this evening Feddersen did very very well on this barrel. Shot 4 cards with it tonight the first card was just to see what it would do, and getting the scope sighted in.
Pulled out some of my good Center X. I shot one box of shells checking my wind conditions, also checking the condition that the gun wanted to shoot tonight.
Light winds, good night to test. I put up the first target for score ended up with a 194 on the ABRA target, ran a patch through the barrel shot another card ended up with a 193 it should have been a 195 but I had my head up my butt and missed the condition, my last flag turned on me and I did not catch it. My very good friend Terry Paradee was with me, he just could not believe on how this gun was shooting without a tuner. He sat down with it shot 1 sighter and decided to just run the card, he shot a 192. So my total between the two cards would have been a 193.50 agg. Throw Terry's card in there and it is still a 193 agg with two different shooters.
7:00 tomorrow morning I will be running over to the machine shop and boring out and cutting a tuner for this 27" barrel. Let's see what happens next. Here are a few pictures of the targets.

Joe

Another Day of testing

After seeing how well this Feddersen shot, I cut a tube for the J N L's Tuner to take this 27" barrel to the 9th Harmonic and yes it made a big difference. Check these targets out.

Joe

Awesome targets, Joe. What trigger are you using? What about the bolt? Looks like these 10-22's will shoot!
Mike

Awesome targets, Joe. What trigger are you using? What about the bolt? Looks like these 10-22's will shoot!
Mike

The bolt is a jwh custom bolt and handle with three springs trigger is ---- they wont support us so we do not advertise for them sorry and as soon as I can get a trigger that they dont make I will have one on my gun

Joe

1022 bench gun

Hey Joe, do you mind saying how the barrel is attached to the action? Also, can I ask, what does the barrel mic at the breach and muzzle end? You sure got these auto's shooting well.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
Hey Joe, do you mind saying how the barrel is attached to the action? Also, can I ask, what does the barrel mic at the breach and muzzle end. You sure got these auto's shooting well.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark:

You are not going to believe this, it is a clamp in barrel, at the end this particular barrel mics 1.010. I know that they say it can't be done, what I mean by that is, that a semi-auto shoots cant keep up with a bolt. This might be true right now, but I think I am gaining on it. I appreciate the encouragement.

Joe

Bench Rest Build Unvailed

Ok this is what I did with her, and again this is not an infomercial. I use my stuff and my sponsor's stuff and that is because I believe in them.

Now, 27" Feddersen this barrel was originally 30" long, he had it on an Anschutz and it did really well. So he got a crazy hair cut it down 3" and them milled it for a Ruger style action. It shot well in their shop, and then sent to me to see what I could do with it. You saw in the past pics how well it did.

Action: I wanted a good strong action and Force still has their integrated scope rail in their receiver. I like that a lot. It makes for a good stiff action. I like the aluminum action for its vibration absorbing abilities. I put a good trigger in it as soon as I get a trigger from Force it will go in this action. He is telling me that he can get a single stage trigger with his magic down to oz's. Very excited about that. I almost forgot I shot the barrel naked liked what I saw cut a tuner for it, liked it even better.

Stock is a Don Stith Walnut bench rest stock it has a 3" forearm and an edge style butt. Tracks very good.

Bedding: Since this receiver does not have a rear tang I bed them a little different. I start bedding from the back of the stock forward. My bedding compound goes down to the bottom of the trigger to the top of the receiver in the rear end. Once I get that where everything fits very snug I work on the front end. I bed from a quarter inch around the front of the receiver t and it out 1.25" passed the barrel clamp I do this to help the receiver and to keep from getting any barrel droop. I know a threaded barrel at the receiver is better, but I wanted to see what I could do without a rear lug and a threaded receiver. It looks very, very promising.

Bolt: The bolt is a JWH custom I like it ,never had one before. Tolerances between the bolt and the receiver are within just a couple of 1000's. The bolt handle is also theirs. It comes with 3 different springs.

Scope Mounts: The scope mounts, is killing me they wont be in until Monday or Tuesday. They are Burris extremes. I use these rings because they are designed to take a lot of abuse. These 10/22's really beat on the scope, and it is important for them to be in a good set of rings.

Scope: It is a Leupold VXIII 36X need I say more.

Here is some pics of her now.

Joe

Great shooting

Mark:

You are not going to believe this, it is a clamp in barrel, at the end this particular barrel mics 1.010. I know that they say it can't be done, what I mean by that is, that a semi-auto shoots cant keep up with a bolt. This might be true right now, but I think I am gaining on it. I appreciate the encouragement.

Joe

Joe,
That is some great shooting, we use this card in our matches, as a bonus card toward the end of the regular match. We shoot them with OEM target rifles 40X, Annies Win 52s. Our scores on average are nothing better than you have posted here. Once in awhile somebody will get a 199-200, but not often. Even then the X count is low. Again, thats great shooting with a auto.

George

here is what it cost me for this build

#1 stock $300

#2 trigger $200 used

#3 Force Receiver $225

#4 JWH bolt , Bolt handle springs and handle $110

#5 barrel estimate $600 (this is a experimental barrel the barrel not sold to the public ,would be much less after test are done ,it cost quite a bit for a barrel maker to find out what works)

#6 J&Ls PRX tuner $125

#7 scope rings $57

#8 Leupold scope $475 used

Grand total of $2092 (Take away $350 off of barrel total would be $1,742 great price for a Quality Bench Gun)

Bench Build Wins Texas State

Default Texas State
We put this build to the test today. We had our ABRA Texas State tournament today, and let me tell you this gun preformed to the expectations that trying to achieve.
We had a 6 card match today, and the conditions were not friendly at all. We had some wind, 46 degrees, and drizzly rain all day long. Even with these bad conditions, I was able to turn out a 194 agg. which happens to be the highest agg ever shot in a ABRA tournament, and high card of a 196. This build has perked a lot of ears and eyebrows up in ABRA. I know an auto gun is not suppose to be able to keep up with a bolt gun, but I think that we are gaining on it.

Joe

Back