Underground Range

H

huntinco

I'm looking @ putting in a 300-500 yard underground range by burying storage containers & welding them together. Other then lighting and a vent or 2 can anyone think of other problems that would need to be addressed from the get go?

Insurance, unless you are doing this for a personal use thing.

It will be personal & could double as a nice dooms day shelter. Lol

All I can think of is

Why would you need that? Sounds good up front, but that's the question I have for such a long underground range.

Why would you need that? Sounds good up front, but that's the question I have for such a long underground range.

Here is the simple anwser. Because I can, I hate when it's to windy to shoot & to rule out a variable when tuning

Seems like you could rule anything out with a hundred yards. Anything you could fix anyway! If you're going to build one that long I wish you well.

Cost?

Are the storage containers 20 feet long? If so, you need 45 of them to get to 300 yards. Seems like a lot of money?

You might need more than a few vents to avoid lead poisoning problems.

Seems to me that at 500 yards, you might not have enough height to allow for the trajectory, unless you are shooting a .338/17.

Seems to me that at 500 yards, you might not have enough height to allow for the trajectory, unless you are shooting a .338/17.

I will be using 40' units and 300 is a minimum I would build as most of the rifles I ship have a 200-300' yero. I would rather put money into the ground then give it to the Goverment

I'm sure that when you finish it, the EPA or some government agency will be around to check it out to see what laws/rules that you have not followed. Remember what you think is yours may not be.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Lou Murdica, Gene Beggs, and Derreld Loker would be the three most knowledgeable guys concerning a tunnel. Any info from them would be invaluable. Tunnels have thier own set of issues that must be dealt with. That's why I went with a ditch!

But I say good on ya! Go for it! It's a very ambitious and cool idea!

Bart

I will be using 40' units and 300 is a minimum I would build as most of the rifles I ship have a 200-300' yero. I would rather put money into the ground then give it to the Goverment

Might look up the OSHA regs for confined space entry.
Be real careful.
I almost bit it. Tank diving.
O2 readings were good at 0900. But, by 1700 there was nothing to breath. We always follow 2 man rule. the other guy said he never saw me move that quick.

Sounds like a great idea. It can be frustrating to deal with the weather...............

just as bad when real cold out use to shoot in a ammo test range ( under ground) don't remember how long it was but in the winter it was brutal with mirage

I had forgotten he was talking about burying the whole thing, sure are talking about a whole lot of digging though.
Dick

Get in contact with the Japanese Bench Rest Team. They can tell you all about how they did miserably at the World Championships after practicing for a year indoors. Or maybe they are trying to forget.

Digging the ditch wont be that big of deal & it will have 4" of cover when completed. The only mirage I could think of would be from the shooting position as 1, 40" container would be insulated, heated with a few shooting windows & I could solve it with a fan @ the shooting positions as i have done this on my other ranges,

Both our 100 m and 300m tunnels have problems with ventilation and thermoclines. They are 16' x 16' concrete. We have millions of dollars in these tunnels and they still don't work right. The ventilation system causes a 20 mph downrange wind. The smoke test will cause you to rethink your wind ideas.

Back