Ultimate Benchrest in Chapel Hill TN

Greyfox

Several new shooters were infected with the Ultimate Benchrest virus yesterday at the Strategic Edge Gun Range in Chapel Hill TN. SE is a commercial range operated by Tony Shankle and is a fine facility for most any kind of shooting sport. They have pistol bays and training for concealed carry as well as a great rifle range. There are 8 benches on the 100/300/500 yd range and it is my understanding that they either already or will shorty have a 1000 and a 1250 yard range.

Tony encourages the membership to hold matches and allows members set up and run matches in various disciplines. Mike Noli, one of the regulars @ Gallatin wanted a range a little closer to home and organized this match as a trial run for future events. Most of the locals are tactical shooters and weren't familiar with the UBR game, but were enthusiastic. We had six new shooters with basically factory rifles in tactical mode along with five experienced benchrest competitors. But one of the best aspects of UBR is that these guys were competing against each other without being handicapped by shooting against custom BR rigs. We shot a 100/300 yard agg and several of the tactical rigs scored very favorably especially @ 300 yards.

The 100 yard match was in light and variable winds that looked easy, but had some challenges for everybody. The 300 yard match was a battle against mirage. For a good part of the match the target rings were virtually invisible unless optical power was reduced to 30X or less. Chris Stewart won everything in Factory Class with a 308 tactical and a respectable 463 GA. Mike Noli was "accused" of holding a match just so he could win one , which he did as he took Custom Class in both yardages and a GA of 485.

If you are in the Southern Middle TN area and are looking for an opportunity to shoot, competitive of not, you really should check out Strategic Edge. memberships are available. If you are interested in shooting the next match contact Mike Noli @ 615-512-1612. You do not have to be a member of the range to participate, but if you want to join I'm sure Mike can help you out. The next match for SE has not been scheduled, but will possibly be in July depending on the interest.

The next UBR match in our general area will be at the Gallatin Gun Club on June 7.

Rick Fox
Gallatin Gun Club

Strategic Edge Range

Thanks Rick! We enjoyed having everyone at the Range yesterday! You, Mike & Cameron did a great job running the Match and all the shooters were a class act! Thank you for taking care of the range! (BTW, we already have a 1000 yard range and will be adding another one along with the 1250 this summer. We will also add a 200, 600, 700, 800, & 900 and triple the amount of benches and buildings).

Tony

Congrats, guys, on holding a successful event.

It's great to see a nice range back home and even nicer to see it holding great events.

Back