Two Piece Benchrest Stock

Slowshot

As many of you may know, I am disabled in a way that makes me strictly a benchrest shooter. I am interested in trying a true benchrest stock on my Martini 12/15. I realise it would not be competitive against modern benchrest rifles but it would allow me to get the most out of what I have.

In looking through the "Show Us Your Martini" thread on RFC, I see not even one Martini that has been set up with such a stock. What I have in mind is a forearm that is totally flat and 3" wide on he bottom , with a buttstock shaped such that it would track straight back during recoil. I am sure any competition benchrest shooters out there can easily picture what I am describing.

So, the question I have is has this been done before and is there anyone currently making such a stock for a Martini rifle? In my web search of rifle stock builders, I have not seen or read of any such a stock being made.

I don't know of anyone making what you describe. But I what you have in mind is quite doable And you do not necessarily have to restock.

To get the flat bottom to your stock, you can add on a shoe that does exactly that. It is wedge shaped and bedded and screwed to the stock or just plain glued on permanently. These have to be made to fit of course so you might be able to do it yourself or have a friend do it.

Up front, rather than a flat bottomed forearm use a muzzle sled. This device clamps on with no modification of your barrel at all. You can place it anywhere along the barrel. It gives a flat, almost completely torque free base to the front of your rifle and you can shoot very well indeed with it.

Brent

Thanks for the Suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a forearm adapter that I got from Russ Haydon. It is a reasonable compromise.

As to the rear stock, it is an original Martini 12/15 buttstock with a right handed cheek rest. As a left handed shooter, it already doesn't work well for me. I would rather refinish both pieces for someone else who wants them than make permanent modifications to original equipment.

Unless I can find a stock maker willing and able to work with me on this, I will probably just buy a couple of roughed out blanks and make my own. I have seen several wood suppliers on-line who could sell what I need to get started. Still, I would prefer a professionally built set.

Strike Three!

The Martini is out! With all the problems you have described it doesn't make sense to spend money on that rifle. Sell it and buy something that will work from the get-go. If you are not going to shoot in sanctioned competition then there are a number of rifles that will work. If you want to compete give Russ a call or ask here for something.

great cards!

The cards look great but can't see the rifle. What weight class does it shoot in? Got a USBR target to show us?

The type of stock you describe is used by single shot benchrest shooters. I think your best bet would be to find a stock maker that makes stocks for single shot rifles I'm sure he can make one for you.
As Brent said a muzzle clamp (bob sled) is a good substitute. To get a idea of what we mean go to www.ASSRA.org click on "ASSRA Member Forms" scroll down to "Reloading single shot rifles" then scroll down to "Muzzle clamp bob sled" the clamps shown are rough but they work.
Don

If you want an elegant one, I can find it for you. They cost of course and, no, I do not sell them. I have posted a picture of one on my .22 low wall on this forum in the past while it was wearing one.

Brent

I started with a BSA MK III. Then my daughter shot it for a year till I got her a true bench gun. It finished middle of the pack for local BR-50 matches. (pre ARA). I set it up for zero cost. I took a piece of plywood 3 inches wide and 6 inches long, drilled a counter sunk hole near what was tobe the front and gave it a high gloss finish. Using the screw from the front hand rest I attached it in the accessory rail. This meant no permanent alteration to the gun. I used a two piece rest. The front used a layer of silly putty on a wooden block attached to the rest top. (Windage adjustable top).The gun set on the top like it was glued ( a form of no recoil). Yet a slight twist and it comes right off. For the rear I used a standard rabbit ear bag filled tight sitting on a 1 inch thick board of the same dimensions. I put non-slip tape on the top and bottom of the board. Since the gun did not recoil I didn't have to worry about the rear stock sliding in the bag correctly. The board was to raise it a bit to make operating the lever a bit easier. I first used the 20x Lyman super target spot and then put a modern 36x on it. Because it was a MK III from Freeland it had a third block to mount a conventional scope without any drilling. I still use that rifle for 3P. I have also since added a tuner for prone shooting that makes it more accurate than when I was using it for benchrest. Anyhow, if you have not shot competitive benchrest and just want to try it out some of these suggestions might get you started at minimal cost. If you find the Martini doesn't shoot as well as you would like your not out anything and can look for something else. To the person who suggested you sell it for a true benchgun, that is heresy (G). One never sells a Martini.

No Interest in Selling

I have no interest in selling my Martini. For one thing the falling block action works well with my particular physical limitations for shooting and maintenance. I can load, fire, dissasemble, clean and reassemble at the range, with one hand. My Ruger No. 1, also a falling block, is similar, except for disassembly, which is quite tricky.

I have received an reply from David Kaiser, offering to help me with my stock project. David recently worked on my Martini trigger. He turned a seven pound trigger pull into an adjustable trigger pull, for a very reasonable price.

I plan to write back to David to discuss how to begin.

your martini

i have seen pictures of that martini setup for b/r work. can i suggest you check that out and then get in touch with paul at cpa rifle stocks. i believe he can make you about anything if you can get him a picture.

he has made 3 martini stocks for me and they are great. another source would be to talk to ed at gunstocks inc. another great guy.

hope this helps

bob

Back