twist rate and bullet length

Gunnner, I have the utmost respect for the work done at Aberdeen but don't begin to have the necessary background to understand it or most scientific analysis of these issues. That's why I stay out of these discussions. My testing, which was as straighforward as I can make it, was an attempt to follow the logic in Litz's book with some actual firing and I found that my firing results were supportive of his work and predictions. That's as far as I go on the subject - I'm no scientist.

I've had no problem with anything you've said as far as I know.
Its the denial by Al that bullets even have a boundary layer that threw me.

More on the research into boundary layer and magnus effect on secant ogive boat tail bullets.
only an except but with illustrations.
http://books.google.com/books?id=oH..._result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CD4Q6AEwCTgK

I'm not so sure that Al has presented the actual case made in the book you refer to.

There was a bit of confusion on my part about the observed leftwards deflection, in relation to uncorrected line of sight, of the .30-06 bullet before drift compensated at the 500 yard mark.
Thats something I should have picked up on earlier on, since "bullet throw" which is an old term for such lateral jump is a constant in the Enfield actions, requiring the front sight base to be offset to the left.
The lefthand twist of the Enfield does not allow drift to compensate as it did with the right hand twist of the Springfield.

Its likely the effects we have been discussing aren't so important at the ranges that you shoot, even a 1,200 yard match is only 1/3 the distance at which the flat based MkVII bullet was used in indirect fire and a fourth the distance of the MkVIII boat tail bullet's maximum effective range.
Of course in this application they were interested in the size of the "Beaten zone" of hundreds of bullets per minute rather than a group of five rounds, but they were also interested in assuring that the bullets did not stabilise in a side on or base down mode after reaching the maximum height of the trajectory.

The phenomena of some cartridge/rifle combinations printing tighter groups measured in MOA at 200 than at 100 yards has been reported too many times to be ignored simply because it doesn't happen in each and every cartridge/rifle combination. Also since I've seen it myself I can't ignore what I've seen with my own eyes.

The April Fool joke page does point out something though, When a story uses already known factors woven into a fictional presentation its easier to sell.

I would like to know where the idea that theres no boundary layer on the body of a supersonic projectile came from. Is there a convenient quote?

Me.

Landy

Gee you'd better alert NASA immediately
The present study is part of a broad e ort to investigate the behavior of hypersonic turbulent boundary
layers, including the e ects of roughness and transpiration. Here, we report preliminary measurements on
the e ects of roughness.
For the
ow over a smooth wall with a zero pressure gradient, previous experiments on hypersonic
boundary layers have documented the general features of the mean
ow, but even for this relatively simple

ow case there are only a few studies where extensive turbulence measurements have been made. One
particularly important experiment in hypersonic turbulent
ows was that performed at NASA Ames.15, 19{21
The
ow developed on an axisymmetric body, so that it was free of side wall e ects, although there may be
some residual history e ects from the development over the ogive nose body. The upstream boundary layer
was representative of a zero pressure gradient Mach 6.7
ow.21 The mean velocity followed the standard
semi-logarithmic pro le when transformed according to Van Driest, which takes into account the density
changes across the boundary layer. A similar pro le was measured by Baumgartner2 at a Mach number of
7.2, and by McGinley et al.14 at a Mach number of 11. Together these data support the notion that the
scaling laws for the mean
ow are essentially independent of Mach number.

The no joke experimentation on hypersonic projectiles and the effects of surface finish on turbulent boundary layer..
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...fJppRs&usg=AFQjCNExZ3O04n9Jsqke5khttblYhk70BA

Is this also an april fools joke???
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...rqXcDg&usg=AFQjCNEgTDMy89ioQnf-0oka4E_BF5SMhQ

Just to be clear, how many here believe that theres no boundary layer effect on a supersonic projectile?

Old gunner,
You recall a wasp waisted supersonic jet. I recall wasp waisted Herter's bullets. Where are they now?

The problem I'm having right now is that the paper you cite concludes that differences between rifled and smooth spin stabilized small arms projectiles are "minimal", so small in fact as to be lost in experimental error.(Maybe not even there?) They further state that this is fortunate as the computations to account for the phantom effect would greatly add to the required rigor of analysis but that the simple models in current use work just fine. So your citation is in fact an April Fools Joke delivered by you but with substantially poor timing.

Boiler plate an argument does not make. Gaining peoples trust with irrelevant citations of other people's credible work only to mislead them doesn't advance collective knowledge.

As you said yourself on another post in slightly different words, the best lies have a component of truth. And that is known as the con.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the utmost respect for the work done at Aberdeen but don't begin to have the necessary background to understand it or most scientific analysis of these issues. That's why I stay out of these discussions. My testing, which was as straighforward as I can make it, was an attempt to follow the logic in Litz's book with some actual firing and I found that my firing results were supportive of his work and predictions. That's as far as I go on the subject - I'm no scientist.

I'm with you, I got out of this one early because I could see where it was going. I monitored it, but other than your test I didn't learn anything. Thanks. nhk

Heres an excerpt from the Chinese study
Computational drag and magnus force reduction for a transonic spinning projectile using passive porosity

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Shing-Chung Onn, , a, Ay Sub, Chieng-Kuo Weic and Chung-Chuan Sunb

a Energy Technology Research Center, Yuan Ze University, Chung-Li, Tao-Yuan, Taiwan, ROC

b Department of Mechanical Engineering, Yuan Ze University, Chung-Li, Tao-Yuan, Taiwan, ROC

c Department of Weapon System Engineering, Chung Cheng Institute of Technology, Ta-Hsi, Tao-Yuan, Taiwan, ROC

Received 12 April 2000. Available online 15 September 2001.

Abstract
The aerodynamic performance of a spinning secant-ogive-cylinder-boattail (SOCBT) projectile in the transonic regime is numerically investigated. In the present study, a porous surface is applied to improve the projectile performance. The computed results show that the porous surface on the boattail not only reduce the total drag by 17.35% but also alleviate the magnus force by 98.43%. For the case that the porous surface is on both the boattail and the base of a SOCBT projectile, the total drag and the magnus force can be further reduced by 23.49% and 99.94%, respectively.

Author Keywords: Spinning; Porous surface; Magnus force

Old gunner,
You recall a wasp waisted supersonic jet. I recall wasp waisted Herter's bullets. Where are they now?

The Herter bullet might have flown had he launched it by sabot., I have his book. His missile cone bullets held some promise. Don't know if either were more than theorectical though.
In any case the F102B and later F106 flew as advertised and guarded this nation well for decades.
Some element of boundary layer control is a part of every successful supersonic aircraft since then regardless of fuselage shape.

Fact remains that supersonic projectiles are subject to boundary layer effects.
If Alinwa had presented his case without denying the existence of a boundary layer in order to exclude the magnus and bernoulli effects the situation would not have become so confused, and perhaps others might not have decided to ignore that basic fact in order to make their theory easier to sell.
It could well be that the bernoulli effect is minimal or even a non factor, but that can't be argued by eliminating the boundary layer.

Also I looked up Litz comments on the april fools joke article, the article actual matches up well with his own thoughts on the subject though he doubted the effects would be that dramatic.
The very similar real life studies on the subject would suggest that the principles are sound. So the article rates as sci fi rather than fantasy. Fantasy would be a super sonic bullet that had no boundary layer.

To all reading this to learn...... sorry :eek:

To all who really want answers instead of watching some guys squabble on the 'net.....

I ask that you all obtain copies of ballistics texts in BOOK FORM as published by credentialed ballisticians.

Authors to get you going:

Vaughn, Harold >>>>
http://www.amazon.com/Rifle-Accurac...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276056879&sr=1-1 <<<< easy read

Litz, Brian >>>> http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/Book.htm <<<< haven't read it but hear it's an enjoyable read

Rinker, Robert A >>>> http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276057025&sr=1-1 <<<<< easy read this book will answer most people's questions for under 20 bucks.

McCoy, Robert L >>>> http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Exteri...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276056985&sr=1-1 <<<<

Authors of historic interest:

Mann, Franklin W >>> http://www.amazon.com/Bullets-Fligh...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276057340&sr=1-1 <<<< easy read

Hatcher, Julian S >>> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ooks&field-keywords=hatchers+notebook&x=0&y=0 <<< easy read

There are a couple differences in views between the 4 modern books but these can only become apparent via assiduous study and hopefully by them one will be prepared to proof the differences and decide an answer.

Hatcher and Mann are absolute Giants....... I recommend you read them just to see into their heads...... but they were hampered by a lack of tech and made some incorrect assumptions. Julian and Franklin are MEN of incisive intellect and both would happily embrace the corrections of their worldviews as presented in the modern books.

al

out

I'm going to try post a link to one of the archived posts on wind drift..... It's not exactly relevant to this discussion BUT, I was able to find it in the separate archives file so I'm going to slap it up and see does she work? This is the one that stopped before we'd achieved a 'convergence,' is incomplete. But I'll try go find another which brings it together in a more definitive manner.

To all who aren't really into drift effects DON'T OPEN THIS THREAD!!!

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?43279-Wind-effects-what-exactly

LOL

al

Well I think I can agree that squabling gets one no where, and that disagreement among recognized authorities is pretty common.

Some factors in ballistics are counter intuitive, and when relative terms are used the impressions left can be a bit different from the observed effects.
Misatribution as to causation is a result of not completely investigating the phenomena with a cold mind.

I'd returned to add to my previous post. I'll add what I meant to say here.

While the Herter bowling pin bullet was impractical, wasp waisted sabot slugs proved to be fairly successful in the low supersonic shotgun slug guns, especially the rifled slug guns.
The BRSI (if I got the Initials correct) wasp waisted hard alloy penetrator shotgun slug reached 1850 fps in its early form, but they found that too many of the slugs would shatter at that vlocity so they downloaded it to either 1450 or 1250 fps (forget which).
Lead alloy sabot slugs of similar shape have been used, though I'm not into the big bore sport myself so I can't say which have been successful.

There are other wasp waisted super sonic and trans sonic projectiles out there, but till now I hadn't given them much thought.
The area rule boundary layer control takes other forms besides the wasp waist of cylindrical bodied single engine fighters, you'll see a similar wasp waist in the shape of nacelles of twin engine fighters as well.
Herters theories are of no importance when it comes to judging effectiveness of actual bullets based on similar principles.

Remember while the sources say that the Magnus effect is relatively smal, so is the pressure exerted by the trim tabs of ailerons and elevators, yet these alter the attitude and course of the largest aircraft.
The rudder of a ship may have only a tiny fraction of a percent of the surface area of an ocean liner yet it controls the course of the liner.

Ohh well, I found some archives anyway! Sorry for putting them up here but I wanted to set them aside and you don't HAVE to look......

al

Al,

I’ve enjoyed reading the thread and any vicarious thrills from watching two guys squabble have been minimal. LOL

I’ve read all the books you listed with the exception of Hatcher’s....and more, including Pejsa and a few others. I won’t presume to say I understand everything or can do the math, but I “think” I’ve got the gist of most of it.

I’ve also read and archived more discussions than I can count on this forum and others where the subject of ballistics is debated and have come to the conclusion there are only a handful of people capable of contributing anything meaningful because of the constantly evolving nature and complexity involved and I’m not one of them. I and most others are nothing more than “armchair ballisticians” who only muddy the waters while proving internet forums are not the proper place for comprehensive ponderings of this matter.

That doesn’t stop me from sucking it up like a vacuum cleaner trying to understand it better, but I’m afraid it’s almost a losing battle for the majority(me included) “if” they have an open mind and realize there are far too many conclusions pulled from sources where the proper context is lost or the material is dated. It’s almost mandatory to have a background in ballistics or research for a comprehensive understanding and in my case....I’m too old to go back to school. At least I understand that while far too many don’t.

None of the above applies to anyone in this thread....just a general observation based on what I’ve seen before.

Old Gunner,

The links you’ve provided have been very interesting and many (most) I’ve never seen before. I’ve only briefly scanned them but it appears some might be an “apples and oranges” comparison relative to the discussion at hand. I’m too busy for an attempt at a comprehensive read at this time but thanks for providing them.

I’m outta here....the last thing anybody needs is another so called xpurt!

Landy

Old Gunner,

The links you’ve provided have been very interesting and many (most) I’ve never seen before. I’ve only briefly scanned them but it appears some might be an “apples and oranges” comparison relative to the discussion at hand. I’m too busy for an attempt at a comprehensive read at this time but thanks for providing them.

I’m outta here....the last thing anybody needs is another so called xpurt!

Landy

Well I probably read too much as it is, and I don't doubt that much older information is either over simplified or in a minority of instances not correct though observed effects would have lead to the conclusion in absence of far more sophisticated methods of determining causation.
Then again its not uncommon for more recent theories to fall short or be proven wrong by more intensive testing procedures.

I've been thinking about the side issue of lateral jump of the 06/03 combination and how spin drift/drill compensates relative to the uncorrected sightline. It does demonstrate that some rifles do exhibit a unusual source of horizontal dispersion that while very consistent as to direction may not be consistent in magnitude. Yet the normal effect of spin drift rather than resulting in increased deflection from line of sight (as in uncorrected line of sight relative to the bore line and main direction of the propelling force) serves to bring the bullet closer to the centerline rather than further away as distance increases.
With variations in velocity variations in the speed of rotation and resulting spin drift would result in more or less rapid correction from bullet to bullet.

The SMLE can't be bore sighted to any useful degree because even under the best conditions theres always a very noticable throw to the left due to action body flex. To get on target the front sight base is very noticably offset to the left. Since the twist is also to the left theres no self correction by spin drift.

The cause of Lateral jump of the 1903 is not given and only vague mentions of a muzzle effect oposite the direction of twist are given along with atmospheric jump as to possible causes of this sort of effect at the muzzle.
The 03 is a front locking action so any receiver flex due to the more open right side would be minimal.

With the majority of rifles using a right hand twist a similar jump with self correction might be expected to a greater or lesser degree.

Not an explanation at this point but something to consider.

Is this also an april fools joke???
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...rqXcDg&usg=AFQjCNEgTDMy89ioQnf-0oka4E_BF5SMhQ

Just to be clear, how many here believe that theres no boundary layer effect on a supersonic projectile?

Count me in. It exists, but is negligible for supersonic centerfire projectiles (~Mach 3) for common Benchrest shooting purposes. It becomes smaller and smaller compared to shock wave effects as the Mach number increases. The F102 flew just a little over Mach 1, so boundary layer effects were greater for this plane than for our projectiles.

All-flying control surfaces are advantageous for supersonic aircraft because boundary layer effects are decreased at high Mach number. Moving the trailing edge of the tail has little effect, because the shock wave from the leading edge is so strong. Control is better accomplished by moving the leading edge, which reorients this shock wave.

Supersonic flight is way different from subsonic, chiefly in the predominance of shock wave mechanics over all the more familiar subsonic flow phenomena, such as Bernoulli, Magnus, etc. Al's "A bullet (Mach 3) ain't a curve ball (Mach 0.1)" sums it up pretty well.

Cheers,
Keith

Hey Keith, glad to see you...... help me out eh....

This whole 'reversal' thing that Old Gunner's talking about COULD EXIST! :)

Gunner might be right given his extreme examples of subsonic, depleted projectiles. I never deal with 'em so I'd never taken the time to think it through. Under the conditions he's described, completely exhausting a projectile, it's possible. ....USEless..... irrelevant to accurate descriptions re supersonic flight..... but it could work....

Hear me out.

35 degree high angle fire. Supersonic, RH twist, the bullet's got it's nose cocked over, yaw of repose....... it's being dragged RIGHT..... as it slows approaching transsonic it's still dragging RIGHT...... transsonic is a mess.... but SG is a solid 1.5....

It drops through the floor, goes subsonic for a few hunnerd meters and is falling generally point first ...... AT THIS POINT the Italians could step in...... the bullet's wasted, completely useless, couldn't harm a fly. Even the INFO'S useless but is it possible that the thang WOULD reverse like a curveball?

I don't know NUTTIN' about subsonic effects but if the forward momentum was such that the bullet was flying point down, wind on TOP..... wouldn't it follow that His Magnusificent Heinous could well take over???

FORWARD motion, nose DOWN and RH twist would certainly cause lefterly 'curveball drift' if she's puttering along at walking speed........

This might actually pull Bryan out of the woodwork!

LOL

al

Hey Keith, glad to see you...... help me out eh....

This whole 'reversal' thing that Old Gunner's talking about COULD EXIST! :)

Gunner might be right given his extreme examples of subsonic, depleted projectiles. I never deal with 'em so I'd never taken the time to think it through. Under the conditions he's described, completely exhausting a projectile, it's possible. ....USEless..... irrelevant to accurate descriptions re supersonic flight..... but it could work....

Hear me out.

35 degree high angle fire. Supersonic, RH twist, the bullet's got it's nose cocked over, yaw of repose....... it's being dragged RIGHT..... as it slows approaching transsonic it's still dragging RIGHT...... transsonic is a mess.... but SG is a solid 1.5....

It drops through the floor, goes subsonic for a few hunnerd meters and is falling generally point first ...... AT THIS POINT the Italians could step in...... the bullet's wasted, completely useless, couldn't harm a fly. Even the INFO'S useless but is it possible that the thang WOULD reverse like a curveball?

I don't know NUTTIN' about subsonic effects but if the forward momentum was such that the bullet was flying point down, wind on TOP..... wouldn't it follow that His Magnusificent Heinous could well take over???

FORWARD motion, nose DOWN and RH twist would certainly cause lefterly 'curveball drift' if she's puttering along at walking speed........

This might actually pull Bryan out of the woodwork!

LOL

al

Daniel Bernoulli was born in the Netherlands and Heinrich Magnus was German:D, but they would both step in for subsonic flight. Subsonic drift is the same direction as supersonic. Yeah, it would reverse if the bullet nosed down relative to its trajectory, but aerodynamic forces prevent this. Supersonic or subsonic, there is an upward force on a bullet falling through the air acting at the center of pressure, which is in front of the center of mass in both cases. So the bullet remains nose high. (Transonic forces get weird as the shock wave travels from the nose to the tail of the bullet, and not necessarily at the same rate on the top and bottom sides.)

I don't think Gunner (correct me if I am wrong) is saying that the direction of drift changes. Just that there is a throw-off due to barrel motion that starts the bullet off to the left of the point of aim.

Cheers,
Keith

Hey, out here on the Left Coast it's all "the Italians" they even made a movie aboud'it......

And Gunner was definitely talking switch there for a while...... it wasn't until lateral jumpthrow was introduced that that idea'r came up. So my question is.....could he have something?? I don't know. I DO figger that if'n I THROWED a bullet right-handed and nose down it could curve ALA Magnus ....

All completely irrev'rent to the original discussion of course.

LOL

al

Well a 150-220 grain bullet moving at 1000 fps could do far more than hurt a fly, subsonic bullets kill on a regular basis.

Recently the NRA of the UK had to reign in target shooters who were loading the .308/7,62 to maximum pressure levels in order to maintain supersonic velocities at 1,200 yards for their longest range matches. Transonic effects were the issue.

All-flying control surfaces are advantageous for supersonic aircraft because boundary layer effects are decreased at high Mach number. Moving the trailing edge of the tail has little effect, because the shock wave from the leading edge is so strong. Control is better accomplished by moving the leading edge, which reorients this shock wave.
The first US supersonic aircraft design, the Bell X-1 rocket plane, revealed that the formation of a secondary shockwave at the line of interface of the stabilzer and elevator caused loss of elevator control. The plane was altered on the runway to use is attitude control as its elevator with the elevators locked down to move with the stabilizer as a unit.
The Russians hadn't caught on to this and many Mig pilots died because the Mig-15 did not have the all flying tail of the F-86. The F-86 could maintain elevator control in high speed dives with trans sonic excursions, the Mig-15 elevator locked up and plowed up real estate.
The British liked to claim the US stole the idea from them, since they'd discovered the same factors in a supersonic missle design not long before, but the engineers with the X-1 project discovered it on their own.
The all flying tail isn't used because of any slight improvement in control, its used because separate elevators were completely useless at supersonic speeds.

edit to add
Before I forget, the F-102 originally didn't have the wasp waist, it was limited to short unsustained supersonic sprints, the F-102B was the result of lengthening the fuselage to add a second seat and while they were at it they incorporated the wasp waist to improve performance.
The F-102B became the prototype for the F-106, which due to its wasp waist became the premiere supersonic interceptor of its day, and served for decades.

I don't think Gunner (correct me if I am wrong) is saying that the direction of drift changes. Just that there is a throw-off due to barrel motion that starts the bullet off to the left of the point of aim.

Cheers,
Keith

Well I was confused earlier, due to my thoughts going to the lefthand Enfield twist, which resulted in my getting the whole effect backwards.

The exact cause of the lateral jump isn't given in the literature, and in earlier mentions of this phenomena jump was not mentioned at all near as I can remember.
Lateral jump is given in some sources as due to a muzzle whip up and opposite to the direction of twist, but atmospheric jump is another matter, both taking place as transitory effects at the muzzle.

Not sure about the following, or if it matters.
The possion effect is described as falling off a cushion to one side, usually in the direction of twist.
Seems to me that with the velocity and inertia of the bullet acting against a downwards force the magnus force might act as a pencil point pushed down in a slick metal cylinder resting on a table top, the cylinder can't move down so the force slips off to one side pushing the bullet to the oposite side.

The Magnus moment can relocate, the Chinese (Taiwanese)studies I looked at mention it moving to the boat tail of a SOCBT bullet, which is the most common match and long range bullet type in use.
Ran across some similar experiments by a French arms manufacturer, but can't access those yet.

Well the main question was if theres an explanation for bullets printing a tighter horizontal grouping in terms of MOA at 200 yards than at 100 yards.
The few reliable sources seem to indicate that this occurs when the barrel is relatively light for the power level of the cartridge such as in the case of the 18,000 round test firing of .50 guns, which appears to have been documented at the time if those test results can be accessed.
Printing a smaller group in the vertical, in either actual measurement in inches or in MOA, at longer ranges is not in question, thats been too well documented and observed to deny and the answer as to why has been well researched and explained in terms of compensation. Generally this required a long slim barrel and a fairly powerful cartridge with bullets in the 175 to 215 grain class. The SMLE exhibited the effect most strongly of any rifle I know of, the No.4 with heavier barrel and stiffer receiver exhibited it as well but to a much lesser and less consistent extent.
The SMLE compensation factor kicked in most noticably at ranges over six hundred yards. Whether some rifles exhibit compensation at 200 yards is still a question.

PS
Only reason I still experiment with the Enfields is because of the often weird accuracy effecting features of these rifles. They can be made to shoot with remarkable precision, but you really have to work at it.
I have far more accurate and consistent rifles, these have ended up hanging on the wall gathering dust or being traded off or given away, since hitting well with these is no challenge.
Since I've found out about the 1903 Springfield's odd lateral jump I'll probably find I now just have to have one.

A PPS
The bit about an indented surface increasing muzzle velocity does make sense.
Townsend Whelen mentioned the improved performance of the .30-40 when using a commercial match bullet which had two lube grooves. Lube proved to offer no advantage with this bullet, since no lube of the day could hold up to the velocity and pressure levels, but the grooves reduced bore friction. The same effect has been noted when hard cast zinc alloy bullets are used without lube. A bullet cast of the Zinc alloy weighed aprox 60% what a lead bullet from the same mold would weigh, and had most of the qualities of a FMJ bullet. The military used similar bullets to compare the resistence of armor plate alloys because of its consistency.
The unlubed Zinc bullets could be propelled to higher velocities with lower pressures since the empty lube grooves reduced the surface area in contact with the bore.

Recently the NRA of the UK had to reign in target shooters who were loading the .308/7,62 to maximum pressure levels in order to maintain supersonic velocities at 1,200 yards for their longest range matches. Transonic effects were the issue.
The MOD arbitrarily & arguably without technical justification decided on a joule limit for projectiles fired on their ranges, on the premise that establishing that limit would contain shots within the safety template of the ranges. Among others for example some F Open shooters, the 90-220 grain .30s used by some match rifle shooters exceeded that limit. Shooters operating in that velocity range, ie above the joule limit are required to prove that they have their firearms zeroed correctly at short range (the distance dependent on the venue) before being permitted to shoot at maximum distances. They have not been reined in.

Back