Turning down diameter of an already lapped barrel

StuNY

Hello all,
I have read through many searched posts on the subject, and read the "art of rimfire" so understand the concept that further turning down a barrel after lapping will open up the bore to some degree. I am trying to reduce weight on my rifle (2500x action with .900" Shilen ratchet barrel) to get into the IR50/50 10.5lb class. I have an extra Shilen ratchet .900" blank that I haven't cut/chambered yet and was thinking of turning it down to .850" (or .825?) between the chamber and muzzle, then tapering back out to .900 at the muzzle for the tuner attachment to maintain a choke at the end. Anyone have a feel for exactly how detrimental this would be to the bore? Am I better of just picking up an .850" Shilen?
Appreciate any advice.
Stuart

Hello all,
I have read through many searched posts on the subject, and read the "art of rimfire" so understand the concept that further turning down a barrel after lapping will open up the bore to some degree. I am trying to reduce weight on my rifle (2500x action with .900" Shilen ratchet barrel) to get into the IR50/50 10.5lb class. I have an extra Shilen ratchet .900" blank that I haven't cut/chambered yet and was thinking of turning it down to .850" (or .825?) between the chamber and muzzle, then tapering back out to .900 at the muzzle for the tuner attachment to maintain a choke at the end. Anyone have a feel for exactly how detrimental this would be to the bore? Am I better of just picking up an .850" Shilen?
Appreciate any advice.
Stuart

Stuart,
It may be easier to get a lighter stock.
You will not lose very much weight by taking it out of the barrel.
You can find barrel weight charts by googling the topic.
Good luck whatever you choose to do.
TKH (4628)

Stuart,
It may be easier to get a lighter stock.
You will not lose very much weight by taking it out of the barrel.
You can find barrel weight charts by googling the topic.
Good luck whatever you choose to do.
TKH (4628)

Thanks Tony, that is helpful. I currently have a 3.2lb Lidgard stock and figure I can trim out 6 ounces or so under the barrel. Or just start with a new lighter stock. Using the barrel charts with the stock mods and a lighter scope I could make weight with an .850" barrel cut down to 22". So many choices haha!

Thanks Tony, that is helpful. I currently have a 3.2lb Lidgard stock and figure I can trim out 6 ounces or so under the barrel. Or just start with a new lighter stock. Using the barrel charts with the stock mods and a lighter scope I could make weight with an .850" barrel cut down to 22". So many choices haha!

I can tell you from experience an .850 barrel can shoot as good as a .900. in a rimfire. So don't think you are giving anything away by using one.

TKH (4628)

Around here, we do a lot of light stocks to accommodate LV class.
If the barrelled action is shooting great, don't touch it. Go for a lighter stock, like Tony said.

We, Ricardo (stock maker) and me, have designed a line of stocks that can weight as less as 600g, to whatever you want. Just choose the wood.
To do the lighter stocks we use Paulownia laminated with light carbon sheet. Normally 4 layers. If the stock is to be painted we do vertical laminates, if natural, horizontal ones.

Other areas you can look at are: the scope and the scope rings. There are rings around 25g, and really light scopes. I always tend to go with lighter step-ups above GC, and if adding weight is allowed, do it to the stock bottom areas, mainly around butt plate.

I keep an excel file with all pieces and bits weighted, as well as stocks, bolts, rins, scopes, actions, you name it. So, I can easily match things around a specific weight.

A while back bought a gun with a Lidgard zebrawood stock. Beautiful stock, great workmanship, but completely unsuitable for 10.5 lb rifle. Sold it to have Tom Meredith bed it in aTMBR stock.
The proper stock should allow a .900” barrel all day long with room to place a bit of weight in the butt for balance.

Thanks for helping me reset my thinking on this guys... I got stuck on trying to use the Lidgard stock and make everything else work around it (It is a beautiful piece of wood!)... Clearly I need to start with a lighter stock so will look for that now.
Stuart

Several things posted here piqued my interest in a reply. Lidgard stock, I have one on a 10.5 rifle, curly maple. Weighed more than the vendor thought. I called Brent and he agreed to work it over without disturbing the original finish. Milled lightening slots in the forearm that did not effect the structural integrity of the stock. It still was a bit heavy. Original action was going to be a 2500X and I really wanted to run a variable scope. So, got a hold of Stiller and had him ship me a 2500XS with the single load kit. Saved another 2ozs. My original scope choice was a March 10-60X52 with tactical knobs, as on my other 10.5 rifle....still on the edge of weight. Found they had the same scope with covered knobs that saved a couple more ounces. With a Muller .850 8MI barrel and Stiller tuner, the rifle now weighs 10lbs 6.6ozs. Nirvana!

Point is, don't give up.....lots of ways to skin the 'weight cat' and still end up with what you want. Rifle shoots very good and had all the stuff I wanted. Sometimes the challenge of the build is almost as fun as shooting it.

Scott

Last edited:
I picked up a stock from John a couple years ago & really like it. I've not seen him post anything here But if you go to Accurate Shooter site he can be found. He make them in various species of wood. Mine's walnut,.900 barrel, Sightron 45x & I'm under 10lbs
I can get you his contact info if needed.
https://forum.accurateshooter.com/t...-bolt-action-butternut.4061052/#post-38336908

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/t...olt-action-flame-birch.4061050/#post-38331145

Keith

Thanks Keith, I was able to get in touch with John and hope to purchase one of his stocks. Great that I get to keep my barreled action and scope as well!

PedroS great tip on the excel doc for all my parts and weights- I have set one up and can't believe it never occurred to me before!

Stuart

Thanks Keith, I was able to get in touch with John and hope to purchase one of his stocks. Great that I get to keep my barreled action and scope as well!

PedroS great tip on the excel doc for all my parts and weights- I have set one up and can't believe it never occurred to me before!

Stuart

Stuart, you're welcome. I was remiss in not also mentioning Jim Peightal as he build excellent stocks as well.
If 6oz is all you need to loose you might considr a Leopold BR 36, the lightest I know of, single screw rings, & if needed wittle a little out of the Lidgard stock as Scott mentioned. That will save a bit of growing pains with the new configuration.
I needed to loose much more than 6oz with a laminated stock so went with one of John's.
John's stocks may require a spacer on the rear bag, or taller bag all together. It has on most ranges for me. Not a big deal, just wanted you to be aware of it.

Last edited:
I probably wasn't clear in my original rambling... My current 2500x gun with .900 barrel and scope is weighing in at 12.25lb. I was going to replace the barrel, use my lighter 36x scope, and trim the stock to get closer to 10.5. With the stock I just ordered from John I can leave everything as is and just swap the stock and come in at a little over 10lbs. Good stuff! I will probably put a little extra weight in the butt to get closer to the full 10.5lbs

Duly noted that Tony pointed this solution out in the very first response haha!
Stuart

I picked up a stock from John a couple years ago & really like it. I've not seen him post anything here But if you go to Accurate Shooter site he can be found. He make them in various species of wood. Mine's walnut,.900 barrel, Sightron 45x & I'm under 10lbs
I can get you his contact info if needed.
https://forum.accurateshooter.com/t...-bolt-action-butternut.4061052/#post-38336908 letter boxed

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/t...olt-action-flame-birch.4061050/#post-38331145

Keith

I have also been able to contact him, thanks for your contact information

Back