Turbo action

drknite

Can the old Flash EBert turbo action, when properly set up by a good gunsmith remain competitive with the newer actions. I realize that some of the new actions are basically the old one with some updates. What are some of the shortcomings of the original action and to look out for. What are the upgrades on the newer turbo clones.

Lots of guys still prefer them. Remember, however, they've been out there for a while and you want to check really carefully to make sure it hasn't been screwed up by a prior owner.

Tim. Pete, the Turbo he is talking about is steel and has been very very good to me. You both know this rifle. Feel free to offer him your thoughts on this one. You both know it pretty well.

Last edited:
Speaking of Aluminum Turbos,

They had come and gone before my time back so I am curious as to what was wrong with them. There are aluminum actions in the center fire world that are perfectly usable and fine. Don't see why a Rimfire rifle would be any different than a CF rifle.

Thanks,

Pete

Tim. Pete, the Turbo he is talking about is steel and has been very very good to me. You both know this rifle. Feel free to offer him your thoughts on this one. You both know it pretty well.

If this, in fact, is a rifle you're considering that is from Bill, it is unlikely to have any issues, was solidly built, and he does know how to properly maintain a rifle to a high standard without damage.

Pete,

I had an Aluminum Turbos for a short time several years ago. I had bought it used from a friend in need who was a great shooter and who in fact had been the National Silhoutte Champion one year. It seemed to shoot great - for about 8 to 10 shots - then everything would go away and you couldn hardly put 2 shots into a group that were touching. Everything just opened up. The guy I sold it to insisted he really wanted it, so I gave him a very good deal and was happy to be done with it.

All I can say is the Aluminum Turbos looked great, but really sucked, and even though the intent was good, they weren't one of Flash's best efforts.

Dave

They had come and gone before my time back so I am curious as to what was wrong with them. There are aluminum actions in the center fire world that are perfectly usable and fine. Don't see why a Rimfire rifle would be any different than a CF rifle.

Thanks,

Pete

They are unhardened aluminum, not of the proper grade and the engagement surfaces wear at a fairly fast rate.
They were , anodized I believe, and that wore through pretty much instantly.
Unlike the CF actions that have steel inserts, they have none.

Thanks Guys,

I understand what you lads have said and understand now why they went the way of the passenger pigeon. It's a shame in a way I guess but that's the way it is.

Pete

I've been extremely happy with both my Flash Turbo's. I did have an elevation problem with a couple scopes on one that I assume was a base problem. Fixed it with a Weaver bases & Burris rings w/ inserts. I had a similar problem on a 10X in that I ran out of r to l adjustment. Simply loosened the dovetails & retightened & it went away.
The only other issue I've had is my own poor trigger maintenance.
They're great actions.
I'm not as familiar as Tim & Pete about the rifle but am well aware of what its capable of. Its a good one.
Keith

I must admit

I've been extremely happy with both my Flash Turbo's. I did have an elevation problem with a couple scopes on one that I assume was a base problem. Fixed it with a Weaver bases & Burris rings w/ inserts. I had a similar problem on a 10X in that I ran out of r to l adjustment. Simply loosened the dovetails & retightened & it went away.
The only other issue I've had is my own poor trigger maintenance.
They're great actions.
I'm not as familiar as Tim & Pete about the rifle but am well aware of what its capable of. Its a good one.
Keith

Between the two 10.5 rifles I have, I trust the Turbo the most. I wish it loaded easier and ejected right but I have learned to cope with the loading and can scrape the empties away but it is annoying after using an action that ejects right, keeping the empties out of the way. I nearly sold it after I had my new rifle built but, in the end, couldn't seem to do it.

I decided only to bring two rifles, My Sporter and one 10.5 rifle to Florida this winter and the Turbo won out as the choice. It's gonna get a new barrel when I get home. Was so close on good ammo for it that I ran out after the 10.5 meter match Sunday. Didn't see the point of hunting new ammo if it was gonna be re-barreled.

Pete

Last edited:
Back