Turbo action questions

JerryP

I have a new turbo v-1 on order. I need to make up my mind right or left port. I am right handed and the bolt will be right. What are the advantages for the left port?
How is the ejection? Does it just drop them or throw them out? Thanks for the help.

It throws the case

and the advantage is you can look into the port while loading at the bench.

Definitely go left port. It's not just that you can see into the chamber, but it is just easier and faster to load a left port, for a righty, while remaining seated. To load a right port you will either have to feel your way into the chamber or you have to get up and lean over to see what you are doing. For a righty, loading a right port is slower and awkward. Not advised.

Definitely go left port. It's not just that you can see into the chamber, but it is just easier and faster to load a left port, for a righty, while remaining seated. To load a right port you will either have to feel your way into the chamber or you have to get up and lean over to see what you are doing. For a righty, loading a right port is slower and awkward. Not advised.

Bill here is spot on, RBLP is the way to go. The "feel your way into the chamber" part though, makes me wonder a little.

Bill here is spot on, RBLP is the way to go. The "feel your way into the chamber" part though, makes me wonder a little.

It ought to bring back some fond memories Tim. Of course it's always welcome to be gently guided into the chamber.

I have a new turbo v-1 on order. I need to make up my mind right or left port. I am right handed and the bolt will be right. What are the advantages for the left port?
How is the ejection? Does it just drop them or throw them out? Thanks for the help.

I also would recommend going with a right bolt / left port action for the reasons mentioned above.

A RB/LP action also makes sense because with a right bolt/right port action, an excessive amount of stainless steel is milled out from one side of the action only ... possibly contributing to an issue referred to as flexing. Having the loading port and bolt handle on opposite sides, is one of the reasons I prefer a custom action over factory. John

If i were going with a Turbo type action

I also would recommend going with a right bolt / left port action for the reasons mentioned above.

A RB/LP action also makes sense because with a right bolt/right port action, an excessive amount of stainless steel is milled out from one side of the action only ... possibly contributing to an issue referred to as flexing. Having the loading port and bolt handle on opposite sides, is one of the reasons I prefer a custom action over factory. John

I probably get a Falcon Right bolt, Left Port, Right eject. I hate having empties accumulating on the side I am using to feed ammo into the action. Actually, I decided to go for a Myers action so that I can simply drop a loaded round into the top loading port, close the bolt, fire the round and the bolt then ejects the empty right and forward, no muss no fuss, easy speezie lemon squeezy. I'm too old to fight loading ports and my Turbo often requires fighting.

Dual Port

What are your opinions on the dual port Turbos. Is flexing an issue if the rifle is properly bedded?
Keith

What are your opinions on the dual port Turbos. Is flexing an issue if the rifle is properly bedded?
Keith

I don't think so Keith. I think the entire action thing is grossly over blown. Get you a great barrel and see how minor a lot of this stuff ends up being. I will email you a "Story" in the near future. It doesn't hurt one thing to have the best, most rigid action, bedded in the best stock with the best bedding materiel money can buy but some of that's what a certain famous Smith lately has called "getting all the crumbs". One can run with the best with a lesser Action, Stock and Bedding. We have seen it done on a fairly regular basis.

It ought to bring back some fond memories Tim. Of course it's always welcome to be gently guided into the chamber.

I'm willing to believe that your intention was for that not to be quite as creepy as it read but Lordy I feel dirty just reading it.

Does turbo come in a dual port? I did not see that on the option list.

I just checked the site out & didn't see it offered either. They do exist though as a friend has one. They must have discontinued it or maybe he ordered it special? Or maybe it was right port & he had a left one cut elswhere?
Pete, Gary's silver Turbo is dual port I believe. Know anything?
Keith

I have been shooting a LP Hall this year except at the last match where I shot a RP rifle. It was wonderful not having the bench covered with empties. A dual port would be the best of both worlds imo.

So with a RBLP one has to load with your left hand? I don't shoot BR just prone. That would seem to be very awkward prone. RBRP allows me to load without moving my cheek from the stock = same cheek weld every shot.

So Bill, I can't ask the question? I would have never guessed this was a BR forum. Thanks for letting me know.

So with a RBLP one has to load with your left hand? I don't shoot BR just prone. That would seem to be very awkward prone. RBRP allows me to load without moving my cheek from the stock = same cheek weld every shot.

If I was you I'd probably take a hard look at the new Stiller 2500X, very efficient, drop in loading and RBRP if I'm not mistaken.

So Bill, I can't ask the question? I would have never guessed this was a BR forum. Thanks for letting me know.

I thought it was a rhetorical question. Yes, you load a left port action with your left hand. A left port action is probably not the best choice for a position shooter. For benchrest it is the best choice (assuming a right handed shooter). As a position shooter you are in a better position to determine the suitability of a left port for a prone shooter.

If you are going to shoot mainly off the bench and want it optimized for bench, get the RBLP. You will struggle shooting prone. Do the RBRP if mainly shooting position versus the bench. Most F class shooters still shoot RBRP according to our sales to them, and they use a front rest prone, so it seems to be a real hindrance to have to move your left support arm to load. I have shot my long range gun prone and its a RBLP. Doable but awkward. For me, I have shot RBLP so long, any single shot RBRP is awkward. I dont think I own a single shot RBRP anymore. Guys like Tony Boyer can shoot a RBRP off the bench better and smoother than most using a RBLP though, so skillsets may also be involved. If you want an action from us, be build both.

Back