Tuning fork sound after shot is fired???

OWWWW!

I once fired a pistol at a prairie dog that was only about 20 yards from my truck window. Figured that I had it out of the window far enough. My brother was riding shotgun, and wasn't amused at all by the racket.:eek::eek::(

I've heard of African professional hunters using their shoulders as a rest for their clients, and wonder if they have to use sign language after that - and permanently.

No legal issues with spotlights in this part of the world Lynn. He was probably shooting foxes or Kangaroos both of which were/are shot under lights for pest control purposes.

I understood you Lynn, just pointing out that spotlighting was legal, I understand it isn't in most of the USA.

Varmint hunting is legal after dark in Texas, feral hogs, coyotes, bobcats, possums, raccoons, mountain lions, and such.
Butch

Is that with a spotlight Butch.

Sounds kinda dumb as I type this but I am sure I recall seeing somewhere that some places allowed shooting after dark only if natural full moon light allowed, no artificial light ????

I have no idea .......... sounds kinda silly.

I just saw Lynn's response ....... interesting, I always understood that spotlight shooting was a no no in most places in the USA, must have been told wrong.

Bryce

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there steel pipe poles at the range?

Dave

I think Dave Tooley could be correct . I have heard the steel poles ringing after the muzzel blast vibrates them .
I would reach out and grab the steel pole and it would stop.

Lynn you smart

Peter were you not the poster on the 1,000 yard forum telling us all how unethical we were for longrange huting?

Surely you weren't shooting anything but targets in that spotlight!!!!! Oh the humanity of it all.
Lynn

Ass You got me so curious about your longrange hunting that I actually took some care to load and experiment and was able to get to about 15-20mm/100metres and ES of 20fps for an average of 5 shots. Shooting in the mornings where "isn't" windy I got it to shoot to around 250mm @ 770 metres(according to my GP). Nothing to write home about, but just 5.5kg all up rifle and 2x7 Leupold Compact (@7) and two 8kg bags of dog food as a rest.
I came to the conclusion that it would be very possible to humanly kill at that distance if a more precise ammo and properly sighted and considerably better target rifle was used for the job.
Lynn, after my limited experiments I don't consider you as being an imbecile when you shoot at the distances you do. Especially if I take yourself proclaimed experience and the type of the precision equipment that you use into consideration.

Shoot well Pal
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Some rifles have more pronounced

sound vibrations than others. Having 43 rifles over last 20 years myself I can distinctively recall that different stocks would produced totally different sounds. Shooting full loads in my Redhawk .44 Rem.Mag. would produced different sound vibrations at different shooting bays. It never bothered me at all but it exists more often than thought.

Shoot well
Peter

Tantor,

Will it do this odd ringing in other locations? If so it's harmonics. If not, well whats around where you were shooting?

At least that how I'd approach it.

Good luck.

I went out shooting last weekend and did not hear the tuning fork sound. There were other guys there shooting with alot bigger guns, ie; Barrett .50 cal and Sako 300 win mag. It may happen everytime I shoot but I just don't hear it because of other noise. I hope it is just telling me I am shooting a good gun and everything is fine (harmonics) as it was put.:p

One another note. Does anyone know of a place to shoot close to Orlando FL. I will be there for 2 weeks and would like to shoot my .270.:D

Tantor

I have a Savage 12 VLP that occasionally had a very pronounced tuning fork noise. Its not the barrel but I'm not exactly sure what it is.
Best I can figure it seems as if the trigger assembly might be vibrating on the stock but that really doesn't make much sense either. Wood should not be able to cause that much or type of ring.

The last time I had it apart I relieved a little wood that looked like it might be rubbing just a hair. Haven't heard it since. Shoots good ring or no ring.

Now if I touch off both barrels on my 12 gauge Coach gun shooting at a clay pigeon the humming of the tubes can be heard quite distinctly. The hum actually seems to reverberate through out the nearby forest.

Best way I've found to win a skeet match is scare the bejeezus out of the competition.:D

always tuned to completely eliminate the ringing described here, with good results. position of forend on bags/.rest is an influence. treat whole thing as a system. Seymour Fish

Tuning forks do not buzz.

I know when I have bedded a barreled action to a stock properly when the barrel and fore stock vibrate like a tuning fork when struck. It should be an exponentially damped low frequency sine wave with high Q [long sustain].
If it buzzes, find the interference.
If the sustain is short, the connection may not be stiff, and may been to be chiseled out an re done.

Tuning forks make a single sinusoid sound.
Buzzing is a distorted sinusoid dominated by the upper harmonics, which are other sinusoid of higher frequencies.

Last edited:
In my case I am wondering if the firing pin is vibrating when it hits the primer, causing ignition to change shot to shot. I guess that would have something to do with gunsmithing.

I hear that every time I.............

fire my 6MM Rem, Its the recoil spring on my BalVar 24, if I don't hear it, I know I forgot to compress it. ;):D

Back