Tuner Torque

Az_Speed

I'm very new to the game and in lurking through the posts here it appears nearly any type of surface contact or void (i.e. - stamp from mfg, wooden jaws in vise to hold barrel, barrel drilled for sights, etc.) on the barrel creates a possible constriction. So, how tight do you screw down the tuner (in inch lbs.) before it is too tight? Can it be too tight? I know the answer may vary well be just tight enough to stay on but how tight is that given that it may work loose after several hundred shots?

I've never had one come loose if bored properly to fit the barrel contour. I just snug the bolts up and no more. Others will chime in with different theories. bob finger

I bore my tuners to an exact fit for the barrel, tight enough that I have to take the heal of my hand and bump 'em on until they're seated. Not so tight you'd have to drive it on with a mallet:) Then I use a small allen wrench and holding the small end of the "L" on the wrench to tighten the screws up snugly. Not much torque can be put on the small allen wrench. Never had one fall off yet, and the bore don't lead at the tuner barrel junction. If falling off is a concern, put a drop of Loctite on the barrel.
Too tight is not a good thing, it can cause problems.

Last edited:
I have read before and use myself the method of using an allen wrench and gripping the short end to tighten, much harder to overtighten that way.

The problem I have is getting the tuner mounted correctly on a reverse tapered barrel. I'll never buy another one. Any comments on this ?
Fred K

the aluminum allen's are meant to twist at 15lbs of tourqe no matter which way used. Fred I find it interesting to look at anshutz 1913-u2 and 1913-u2 barrels. in addition look at the average of the top 5 shooters in 10.5lbs 249.8, in 13.5lbs 249.7 and sporters I'm sure using reverse taper barrels 249.4 with 6.5 power scopes to boot.

Martin
How many tuners have you fitted on a reverse tapered barrel ?
Sporters don't use Tuners.
Fred

Fred, none. I know sporters do not use tuners, that was my point:)

Not tight enough

Set the Von Ahrens at 5 inch lbs and would not grip the barrel. Upped it to 12 inch lbs, fell off after a hundred or so shots. I couldn't figure out how I shot it into the dirt half way to the target. Then I noticed the tuner dangling off the front. :eek: The bloop tube did hold up to a bullet off the side with no damage. :) Now I'm at 15 inch lbs and checking it often.

Something to keep in mind:

The torque settings will only match person to person or gun to gun if the interference fit between tuner and barrel remains a constant.
With an overly large interference fit between the tuner and barrel, a portion of the total torque is used to take up the slack.

Landy

How would you be able to determine if your tuner is on to tight? What would be some indicators to look for. garrisone

Back