Tuner question for Jackie

I am thinking about building a tuner similar to yours and would like everyones opinion. Would a piece of stainless steel work instead of the brass that is on the end of your tuner? I am going on the assumption that it is made of brass just for the extra weight.

Brent

Brent

That brass piece pressed onto the tuner is actually a vulcanized rubber water lubricated bearing that is used in propellar shafts in boats. The generic name for it is a "Cutless" bearing. Google that and you will see.

The brass shell is simply what holds the shape of the rubber. I actually turn the brass shell down to where it is only about .050 wall thickness. Using the rubber is one of my own ideas, it acts like a "snubber" on the barrel. By that, I mean it actually dampens vibration.

My first tuner did not have the snubber, I added it on a whim, and I believe it broadens the load window. I do not have any scientific data to back that up, I just go on the way my Rifles perform. The tuner actually weighs about 5.5 ounces.

Those rubber bearings come in sizes from 3/4 inch ID all the way up to 48 inches ID. (that's pretty darned big). The one I use is for a 1 1/8 shaft. It is pressed onto the tuner body with about .020 inch interference fit. The rubber grips the aluminum tuner body very tight.......jackie

brent

The bearing you need is a Johnson Cutless Bearing "BELT" 1 1/2" x 1 5/6"
x 4 1/2".

Supplier is

Deep Blue Yacht Supply INC.
6511 Nova Drive
Davie, FL 33317
954 444-6259

Back