Tuner adjustments

pickles...a better mousetrap....

I think you using a method that is ok - you should find sweet spots doing as you are doing. I didn't mean to imply you were doing something wrong, or that you were taking a shortcut. A shortcut is ok if it gets you the right answer quicker.

I've been thinking about what I said about two shot groups and I might have been in error. I should have said you can't get meaning out of two shots fired in with eight other shots. This is what the Hopewell method does. However if you compare two shots and then compare this with other two shot groups you can learn something. So, here's what you might try:

Fire two shot groups at each tuner setting. Then compare each group size and select the settings with smaller groups as possible sweet spots. Fire more two shot groups at these settings until you confirm they are in fact true sweet spots. Larger groups at all the other settings prove they are NOT sweet spots. That's the beauty of this method - it quickly eliminates the bad tuner settings. Since rim fires have a nasty characteristic of spreading their group sizes over a range of about .1" or .2", you will have to study the groups and decide how you will distinguish between "large" and "small" - THIS WON'T BE EASY! In fact you may come to the realization you can't positively find the tuner effect! But all that aside, I guarantee this method will find, with the fewest shots, just where your tuner is affecting your gun the most.

If sweet spots occur at equal intervals throughout the settings then you can shorten the whole process by just shooting over, lets say, half the settings and determining the interval from this. You can then move through the correct interval to find each sweet spot without having to fire any shots at intermediate settings.

Back