i gave lynwood h. the measurements
and he reamed it for me seemed to just
barely slide on then i tightened but not
with torque wrench i was wondering if i
could just loosen the screws and retighten
with a torque wrench? would i have already
stretched the clamp?

I don't think so

If the tuner was bored to a snug fit, you won't have sprung the clamp. You would have stripped the threads in the aluminum first. Like I said, with a close ( snug ) fit, 15to 20 in pounds will be sufficent.

thanks fred

i wouldn't have asked but it seems like everytime
i do anything with guns anymore i find there's a
new or different way to do it. so now i ask and wait
a couple of days and see what i probably almost did
wrong this time. thanks.

Off topic but I'll be quick.

Where are you guys getting your torque wrenches. TIA

I got my Anschutz torque wrench from a fellow on E-Bay for $45 new in the slip-tube. I think Anschutz re-packages the Gehmann wrench.

Hose

Harbor Freight sells a cheap one. Seems to be pretty consistent though and every one that I have seen on the line has been just like mine.

Why not make a pin to a close fit to bore dia,sliding fit. Than install the collar and tighten,any reduction in bore dia and pin will not move or slide tension will change. Just an idea,hope it helps!

Young's Modulus for steel

Young's Modulus (the modulus of elasticity) for steel is approximately 29 x 10 to the 6th power Pounds per Square Inch. (I don't know how to use superscripts in this formatting). This is largely independent of the actual composition of the steel or the degree of tempering.

This value is the slope of the stress-strain curve for steel in the elastic range. (i.e. if you let go of the stress, the steel will return to it's original shape). Strain is unitless, so the slope of this curve is expressed as P.S.I. Young's modulus allows you to calculate how much stress is required to move a material a given distance. It is essentially a measure of "stiffness"

The steel barrell is elastic. It can be stretched or constricted as much as you might like (until it fails catastrophically) by tha application of an external force.

All you need to do is figure out how much you want to constrict the bore, and then you can calculate how much stress is required to apply. You could use an aluminum sleeve, a steel sleeve, or any other suitable engineering material to apply the needed force to the outside of the barrel.

In case anyone was wondering, I'm a Metallurgical Engineer by trade, and a shooter by hobby. Although I'm primarily involved in Smallbore Silhouette Shooting, I enjoy the benchrest forums due to the ultimate emphasis on accuracy.

SteveM.

That just makes more questions.

How much torque can we apply to the aluminum collar on our muzzle end tuners without constricting the barrel? Or the steel collar of a mid barrel tuner? The quotes out of your text book were very impressive, and seemed to make sense to me, but now you gotta apply that to our situation and come up with some numbers we can use.

Don't have a gun with a tuner? Tell us where you are and the closest one will bring one over so you can make the measurements.

Thanks a bunch for posting this good info, and I (and I'm sure many others on this forum) look forward intently for your findings in this matter. :)

How much.

If the question is "How much torque can we apply without constricting the barrel" - the answer is "NONE".

Any amount of applied force will change the dimensions of the barrel. You may not be able to measure the amount of constriction, but rest assured, it has changed with the application of an external force. The difference may not be detectable with a micrometer or by "feel", but the amount of constriction is directly proportional to the amount of external force applied.

The only way to have absolutely no constriction or distortion of the barrel is to have absolutely no force applied.

SteveM.

I have been playing with "out of the box" ideas on and off for ten years. I had an action set up to check barrel length to consistant velocity. I have an old ansch barrel I have ben using at this time It is now 8" and was frozen then a stainless ring shrunk to it, then set up with bloop tube (to protrctect scope) The bbl would shoot in the low .2 @ 16" long I have not been able to get there yet but the ammo is a lot more consistsant over the chrono. I believe the rest is my deviation @ this point as it does not ride as well as th longer bbl. I am positive you can choke a bbl

Back