Trimming the 6BR, 6PPC and 22BR cases

I have a chamfer tool for my Wilson trimmer that I tried briefly, until I noticed that for whatever reason that the chamfer was not even. If I were going to try to diagnose it. I would probably take a look at how well centered and parallel the cutter shaft and interior of the case holder are to their outside shapes, which should be cylindrical, and of the same diameter. If the shaft is not parallel and in the middle it could cause problems. For light length touch ups, I have a Possum Hollow trimmer that indexes off of the case shoulder. In an attempt to maximize the squareness of the cut, I turn the case rather than the tool. To my mind, this is like turning the barrel instead of the reamer when chambering. The only issue is that if I end up with more than a slight amount of trimming to do (because I did not pay enough attention to the length of my cases) the cutter ( an end mill) tends to take too big of a bite, and the case slips in my hand.

Not the subject but Y'all have seen and used one of those case mouth deburring tools that looks like a little bomb - Wilson makes one of the best. They have a little rod that sticks out of the "outside" cuttin' end that seems to do absolutely nothing. Well...try to use one that's missing that little do nothing doomer. Talk about visual aids!

That's no joke. I never realized what the rod inside the outside deburring tool did until I bought one that didn't have it in it. Found real quickly what it did.

Back