Tried some 8208

Andy Cross

I finally obtained some ADI 8208 the only version of 8208 available in Oz. The old 6PPC
( Haven't taken delivery of the new one yet ) still has a couple of barrels that shoot reasonably. The morning started off about 14 degrees C what ever that is in degrees f and finished up around 27 degrees C. With the N133 I would have had to adjust the load to accommodate that sort of temperature swing. 5 five shot groups at 100yds agged about .293 I know nothing to write home about but I really just wanted to find out how much of the stuff I could drop in the case. The bullets were 68 bergers and the load about 29.5gn
Question the bullets were being spat out consistently at only 2960f/sec with a 22" Madco barrel. Does that sound right ? Any one else getting velocities like this ?
Andy.

Andy,

That would be a mild load...I have shot it at 31.5g with a 70g projectile...didn't have time to chronograph it but it shot very well.

Steve

Andy, I've shot a bit of 8208XBR and am not sure if it compares to the ADI mix at all. With 66-gr. Euber bullets, BAT SV with Krieger 21.75" barrel, 29.4-gr. = 3,196 fps; 29.8 = 3,250; 30.2 = 3,316. The 30.2 load was most accurate with several five-shot groups in the "1's" and is starting to get a little warm in my gun. There are lots of "8208s" around but the XBR I have seems stable and repeatable. I may try an IBS score match with it next weekend.

Dear Mr. Cross.

Not that it matters much..... but

14.0 Cel. = 57.2 Far.
27.0 Cel. = 80.6 Far.

We dont have that kind of swing in temp. here in Iceland!

During a typical Icelandic summer one could start shooting in the morning in 12 C (53.6 F)
and during midday the temp would have risen to lets say.. 16 C (60.8 F)

Best wishes!

Magnus Sigurdsson
Rykjavik
ICELAND

Magnus
I think ill move in with you sir. I hate summer here in Illinois and we have had 30+ days of over 100 degree heat. It sucks!!!!!! My corn is chit and my bean not much better. This heat is killing everything. Got room for another? Lee

14.0 Cel. = 57.2 Far.
27.0 Cel. = 80.6 Far.

We dont have that kind of swing in temp. here in Iceland!

During a typical Icelandic summer one could start shooting in the morning in 12 C (53.6 F)
and during midday the temp would have risen to lets say.. 16 C (60.8 F)

Wow, with that little of temp change during the day, you could probably pre-load for a match!

Not here in Utah.........I was shooting this morning in a canyon and it was a very chilly 46 degrees F with a stiff breeze. Now, as I look outside at the thermometer, it's reading 101 F and the fire hydrants are out looking for dogs. Try tuning in that kind of swing!

Reluctant to

Andy,

That would be a mild load...I have shot it at 31.5g with a 70g projectile...didn't have time to chronograph it but it shot very well.

Steve

At 29.5gn the three the times fired cases were getting hard to lift the botl handle on. Not clicking but there was resistance there. The primers were beginning to squash a bit as well. By all accounts it shouldn't be showing these signs but preparing new brass isn't my favourite past time. Also would another grain or two of powder make up a velocity difference I am seeing.
Andy.

Last edited:
It's winter here

Magnus
I think ill move in with you sir. I hate summer here in Illinois and we have had 30+ days of over 100 degree heat. It sucks!!!!!! My corn is chit and my bean not much better. This heat is killing everything. Got room for another? Lee

Don't forget it's winter down under. You'll probably want to go back during our summer particularly in the sub tropics like here in Brisbane.
Andy.

Nope

Wow, with that little of temp change during the day, you could probably pre-load for a match!

Not here in Utah.........I was shooting this morning in a canyon and it was a very chilly 46 degrees F with a stiff breeze. Now, as I look outside at the thermometer, it's reading 101 F and the fire hydrants are out looking for dogs. Try tuning in that kind of swing!

It sounds like rimfire BR country to me. No load tuning to worry about.
Andy.

Back