Training Rifle

• Thread starter runs-w-scissors
  • Start date
R

runs-w-scissors

I train a lot using a tactical .308 in a Remington 700 trued action bedded in a high end stock such as the McMillan A-5 and a variety of scopes (Nightforce, US Optics, Leupolds, etc.). I would very much like to duplicate that same field .308 rifle but chambered in the less expensive .22LR. Does anyone specialize in building such rifles and if so, what is their contact info? What sort of price am I looking at?

I train a lot using a tactical .308 in a Remington 700 trued action bedded in a high end stock such as the McMillan A-5 and a variety of scopes (Nightforce, US Optics, Leupolds, etc.). I would very much like to duplicate that same field .308 rifle but chambered in the less expensive .22LR. Does anyone specialize in building such rifles and if so, what is their contact info? What sort of price am I looking at?

Buy a 40X RF action and have Davis mount a Lilja tightbore barrel. You can use the same trigger, rail and sights as you do now. I'm pretty sure the stock should fit too (short action), depending on what you do with the recoil lug.

I built a similiar 40X RF in a Masterclass stock with a Jewel trigger identical to my 1000 yd rifles. It shoots great and the savings in reloading time and costs sure helps.

The costs depend on what you use but figure $600 for the action, $400 for the barrel, $200 for the gunsmith and whatever you pick for the stock and trigger and you are looking at $2000-$3000 without sights. Buying a used 40X and dropping it in your stock might be a good alternative.

Mark

Back