Top target ammo?

G

Gary O

I am returning to target shooting after a 30 year hiatus and was wondering if Tenex and R-50 still occupy the top of the heap? BTW: I paid about $5 per box back then. What say you?

Close to $20. now

Some people like 10X, others like Match, a few shoot R-50 and a few shoot Lapua. There ain't many other choices.

I am returning to target shooting after a 30 year hiatus and was wondering if Tenex and R-50 still occupy the top of the heap? BTW: I paid about $5 per box back then. What say you?

ELEY has dominated the accuracy market for the last 10-15 years but LAPUA is having a very good comeback...Actually, the one shooter who has dominated the BR competitions lately (Has won more than 80% of them by a good margin) is using LAPUA and this tells me that there is definitely a comeback from Lapua...

Which ammo will much depend on what is that your gun likes; if you go to other Forums and read threads about this topic you will be overwhelmed with information and you will find out that some people swear by one or the other...As anything else, TESTING as much as you can will guide you.

Eley Tenex or Eley Match?...To me this is a moot point, I personally shoot Match because I have not seen an advantage in using Tenex but this may very well be because the availability of different lots is much greater for Match vs. Tenex or at least this has been my experience...This may also be the case with Lapua.

RWS-50 used to be very good and widely used in ISSF competitions around the entire world but I have not seen it around the BR...Maybe the lack of availability and lot selection are also the issues of why it is not widely used in BR...

Very unfortunately we don't have a major player producing BR quality RF ammo here in the USA...Federal once produced the best of the cream with their UM1 and UM2 cartdriges (about 15 years ago) but this didn't last, US ammo manufacturers are there for volume and high profits and producing extra high quality ammo was simply not profitable (very small market).

One last thing:
$5 dollars you paid for good ammo 30 years ago (1984) are equivalent to about $11.50 in 2014 terms (about 130.06% accumulated inflation)...So NO, you will not find good ammo at that price!...Expect to pay above $15.00 for any decent cartridge...

Regards,

azuaro

There was some dern good

ELEY has dominated the accuracy market for the last 10-15 years but LAPUA is having a very good comeback...Actually, the one shooter who has dominated the BR competitions lately (Has won more than 80% of them by a good margin) is using LAPUA and this tells me that there is definitely a comeback from Lapua...

Which ammo will much depend on what is that your gun likes; if you go to other Forums and read threads about this topic you will be overwhelmed with information and you will find out that some people swear by one or the other...As anything else, TESTING as much as you can will guide you.

Eley Tenex or Eley Match?...To me this is a moot point, I personally shoot Match because I have not seen an advantage in using Tenex but this may very well be because the availability of different lots is much greater for Match vs. Tenex or at least this has been my experience...This may also be the case with Lapua.

RWS-50 used to be very good and widely used in ISSF competitions around the entire world but I have not seen it around the BR...Maybe the lack of availability and lot selection are also the issues of why it is not widely used in BR...

Very unfortunately we don't have a major player producing BR quality RF ammo here in the USA...Federal once produced the best of the cream with their UM1 and UM2 cartdriges (about 15 years ago) but this didn't last, US ammo manufacturers are there for volume and high profits and producing extra high quality ammo was simply not profitable (very small market).

One last thing:
$5 dollars you paid for good ammo 30 years ago (1984) are equivalent to about $11.50 in 2014 terms (about 130.06% accumulated inflation)...So NO, you will not find good ammo at that price!...Expect to pay above $15.00 for any decent cartridge...

Regards,

azuaro

CenterX early this spring @ $10.00 per box. I was fortunate to have been able to obtain half a case of it and have used it all summer. I don't know how good subsequent lots have been.

Pete

CenterX early this spring @ $10.00 per box. I was fortunate to have been able to obtain half a case of it and have used it all summer. I don't know how good subsequent lots have been.

Pete

Thank you for the heads up Pete, this is good news and I am glad to hear it...I just had no clue of Lapua's pricing...I will head to AZ for the winter and will visit their testing center, I am tired of ELEY's escalating prices and worse considering the almost non existent variety of lot numbers, this situation has been ridiculous for the last 2-3 years...I only hope that my gun and 2 barrels likes Lapua ammo so I have more options...

What is the cartridge ranking for RF in Lapua?...Is Center X better than Midas or how does it go and what has been your experience? ...

Best regards,

azuaro

Last edited:
Center x

Is around $10 a box depending on volume purchased, Midas $15 or so. Don't give up on R50.

Thank you for the heads up Pete, this is good news and I am glad to hear it...I just had no clue of Lapua's pricing...I will head to AZ for the winter and will visit their testing center, I am tired of ELEY's escalating prices and worse considering the almost non existent variety of lot numbers, this situation has been ridiculous for the last 2-3 years...I only hope that my gun and 2 barrels likes Lapua ammo so I have more options...

What is the cartridge ranking for RF in Lapua?...Is Center X better than Midas or how does it go and what has been your experience? ...

Best regards,

azuaro

I think the order goes Xact @ around $20.00, Midas and then CenterX. I bought mine from Bob Collins and Clint Swigert.

Pete

Back