Top Cleaner Again. Sorry!

The Kaiser

I know this subject has been talked to death, but I just bought my first bottle and it doesn't look like the same this forum has been talking about. It says: Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner. The color is green and it has a measuring device on top. Is this the right cleaner? At $17.00 for 16 oz. It's about the same as a regular bore cleaner.

the most common product is gm tec(top engine cleaner)
buy direct from any gm parts dealer.

subaru has a similar product.

mike in co

I found 18 cans that were collecting dust on a dealers shelf. He sold it to
me for 3 bucks a can #1050002. But if I had to pay $15, I'd just buy
shooters Choice

The good stuff is not available anymore.
Butch

the last time said that butch, i walked into my pontiac dealer and bought two more cans....

its a rumor....

not available in california maybe.....but i have had no problem buying it.

8 bucks a can

The good stuff is not available anymore.
Butch

Butch
What was the ingredient that was in the good stuff. I have about 10 cans downstairs that ai bought about 8 years ago, actully they are not cans but plastic bottles. In Canada they have to list ingredients, so here goes.
petroleum solvents, hydrotreated heavy naphthenic distillates, olec acid, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, methyl isobutyl carbinol, ammonia. ( I hope you realize it took me an hour to do this, EH!!):cool: So any chemists out there?

Hey Bill...I'm not Butch:), but here goes:

Taken from the label on one of the cans I have....orig. formula G.M. Top Engine Cleaner #1050002 in the 15 oz. screw top metal can.
-Petroleum Naphtha
-Water
-Butoxy Ethanol
-Octadecenoic acid (Z)
-ammonium salt
-Mineral Oil
-Methyl Amyl Alcohol

The stuff that's now available isn't the same as the 'original'. The ammonium salt is a big part of it's effectiveness.

The currently available stuff #1052626 seems to work okay..but not as good the the 'original'.

Good shootin'. -Al

The part # on my bottle is #992872 but that could be the difference between the US and Canada. Also, mine says ACDelco "Cleens" Combustion Chamber Conditioner, that is probably why the rifle shoots so good, because "I condition my bore" EH!!

4 Years ago

I purchased 6 can a little over 4 years ago, and the PN # is 1050002.
The ingredients are nearly the same as were listed previously.

-Petroleum Naphtha
-Water
-2-Butoxy Ethanol
-9-Octadecenoic acid (Z)
-ammonium salt
-Mineral Oil
-Methyl Amyl Alcohol

I thnk they were that last cans he had in inventory.

Seems to work like the older stuff did. One problem, is it has turned fron a Greenish color to a brown colored liguid.

I know this subject has been talked to death, but I just bought my first bottle and it doesn't look like the same this forum has been talking about. It says: Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner. The color is green and it has a measuring device on top. Is this the right cleaner? At $17.00 for 16 oz. It's about the same as a regular bore cleaner.

No....it's not the right stuff.

Hovis

Bill,

You cans are numbered (#992872) and Ours are numbered (#1050002). It's simple, when the numbers were made up by GM, there was a 5.754% difference in US to Canada dollar, the numbers on your can reflect the value difference between the two products. So it's the exchange rate again Eh?

Paul

Bill,

You cans are numbered (#992872) and Ours are numbered (#1050002). It's simple, when the numbers were made up by GM, there was a 5.754% difference in US to Canada dollar, the numbers on your can reflect the value difference between the two products. So it's the exchange rate again Eh?

Paul

And I thought we were friends, EH!!! Just goes to show you how wrong a guy can be, :D:D

Hi all , We can no longer buy GMTC in Australia in either form ,but i now have a substitute that comes from the US.. It's made by/for Johnson/Evinrude Outboards ,comes in a US gallon, part # 777189.. IMO it's as good as the old GM stuff and is not to badly priced either ..JR..Jeff Rogers

The Kaiser ...

Why not just use a tried and true BR solvent like BUTCH's BORE SHINE? The last time I looked, it was designed for use in a Benchrest rifle, not an engine or a fuel injector. :)

Attachments

• Butch's Bore Shine.jpg
    Butch's Bore Shine.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 189
Back