to pinch or not to pinch

N

nipper

i would like some thoughts on using a pinch technique with my thumb on the back of the trigger guard and finger in normal position?? i have a home made elbow and wrist rest thats the same height as the trigger so all i ever move on my hand is my index finger, picture shows a very slightly smaller 5 shot group using the "pinch" techinque on the right a regular free recoil 5 shot group on the left, is there anything "wrong" with this technique other than it cant be real free recoil??

Bill

000_0816.jpg

i was using the pinch myself. i went with the controled jerk or trigger slap as some call it on the last match. i scored my highest record in the last match using the slap. james pappas told me to get away from the pinch and so far i will not be going back.

others will chime in on this, but the pinch sure wasn't helping me. another thing to think about is how is it free recoiling if your thumb is behind the trigger guard? james pointed that out to me as well.

I too am struggling with this. When I shoot for score using a pinch I seem to do better than I can shooting free recoil,most days anyway. When shooting groups I really cannot tell much of a difference between the two. Maybe thats why I like one of my rifles better than the others....you have to hold onto that one for it to shoot the best. bob finger

my issue really is being a previous shotgun shooter only , so my main practice issue is still trigger pull, even with the custom build, i have only fired around 75 boxes of ammo.

bill

Based on your picture, I would say you neither proved or disproved that either is better or worse, which is probably true. So, long as you're not allowing the gun to hit you on the way back or holding, it really shouldn't change much. As a matter of experience, I don't think it matters a whole lot either way, I think you can shoot free recoil or hold tight and if your gun is properly bedded it won't make a lot of difference. But you still have to make sure you're not changing other things as you go regardless the method.

The "controlled slap" is another issue. I've done that and again can't really tell a big difference as long as I don't follow through the slap. I don't really like it but it works for some. I've been told that's about the only way to effectively shoot a Calfee pistol.

the only + i can give for me is that, in my mind if i "pinch" the gaurd it helps me concentrate on where to place my finger and the pull seems more consistant..

bill

Specific techniques are good

If you have confidence in a technique, it can only harm if attention is directed away from the conditions. A split second is all it takes...

i went with the controled jerk or trigger slap as some call it on the last match.

I have played with this but was apprehensive about bringing it up on this forum! As you know I have never shot in a match and am now just shooting to sort out a few things and hopefully make me a little more consistent for the big day. Do many use the slap or do you want to use the more traditional? pull?

I shot pinching for some time, and thought it was great, but at some
point, the pressure with my thumb began to lead .my guess is that it
was anticipation. I did not realize this untill it was to late and 4 and one
became common. So I'm back to one finger

Back