To glue or not to glue, Calfee

<snip>

If you ask why? I believe I can take a 23 inch barrel, and turn it into a 30 inch barrel, by bolting the gun together......and that has so many advantages when using one of my muzzle devices.....if I glue it together, I've got a 23 inch barrel...

</snip>

I remember someone saying a very important part of the BOSS system was the use of rubber bedding compound. They dont glue the action in.

I’ve also heard of using devcon liquid rubber with flexible stocks (soft bedding for soft stocks), because it allows the stock and action to flex while still maintaining full repeatable contact, instead of slowly shifting and building stress. I tried all three bedding types with a sporter this spring (no tuner allowed) but the accuracy potential of the barrel didn’t show much if any difference between glue, conventional pillar bed, and rubber bedding.

Maybe a nice thick liquid rubber glue-in would be the hot setup with a tuner barrel?

Jim

RE-Boyd Last

Did anyone else notice that the stock seems to be laminated with the laminations running horizontally?

Hi Boyd,
Yes it is laminated horizontally, it was handmade for me by Varide Cicognani in Italy. the Rifle is a 1913 selected barrel. The Barrel and action was sent to me from Germany, and I gave the details to Mr Varide who keeps a wide selection of barrels and actions to make the stock up for me. When i put the rilfe together it fitted like a glove.
I have been shooting Benchrest for the pass 6yrs and i have only seen Anschutzs and Walther barrels here inthe UK. Like you guys in the States you go with what you see. I know that you have a big selection to go with but when purchasing you want to see what your getting.
I am a member of the British Team and going to WBC in Milan next week and looking forward to seeing some different models like DJ has. I am also interested in seeing some different Tuners as i know that you have Tuners that you can add weight too.

Andy

Back