Time Lapse

John Kielly

Shari's fan club
I have a friend who is currently in the States & will be flying back shortly. He has a problem.

He takes off the day before his birthday, but when he crosses the international date line, it will change to the day after his birthday. No birthday!

(1) Can he sue? Who?

(2) If he does this the same time every year, will he become immortal?

(3) Do I have to buy him a present this year?

(1) Yes. Whoever set up the international date line and God. Some sleezy lawyer will take it if he pays up front.
(2) No. If he continually circles the earth headed west he will age one day a revolution faster than anybody else.
(3) No. He won't have time to open it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
One time we were hunting a friends farm in extreme western Ohio. Part of his property was in Ohio other parts were in Indiana. The border at that point was "drainage ditch". Well there we were with a groundhog in Indiana and we were in Ohio. Ed Jackson said that since both properties were his we could shoot this Indiana Hog from Ohio seeing as we had Ohio Hunting Licenses. So I shot it... It was only 350 yards away, but it was in Indiana and it was on "Gods Time". They don't change time for Daylight savings. So did this hog get shot an hour before I squeezed the trigger?

Paul

Yes, the Airline, yes, yes.

It's a change of one day, not two... so it could be a very short birthday...

A traveler crossing the International Date Line eastbound subtracts one day, or 24 hours, so that the calendar date to the west of the line is repeated. Crossing the IDL westbound results in 24 hours being added, advancing the calendar date by one day. The International Date Line is necessary to have a fixed, albeit arbitrary, boundary on the globe where the calendar date advances in the westbound direction.

Two Georgia State Patrol Officers are in high speed pursuit of a car heading westbound on I-20. At the moment they reach the Alabama border the State Patrol driver pulls over and stops. His partner yells "Why are you stopping we were about to catch him?" The state Patrol Driver says "There is no use - he is an hour ahead of us now".

It reminds me of another - If a train leaves Chicago and is two miles long - when lightning strikes the caboose, will it kill the driver of the train?

Dennis, common flights from LAX to San Francisco back to the Eastern states in Australia leave USA at night. We do arrive in Australia 2 days later in the morning. We totaly lose one day. Last month I departed on 22nd and arrived 13 hrs later on 24th.
The good bit is that we get to USA before we leave.

Just tell him to count his blessings that he was not born on February 29th.

Two Georgia State Patrol Officers are in high speed pursuit of a car heading westbound on I-20. At the moment they reach the Alabama border the State Patrol driver pulls over and stops. His partner yells "Why are you stopping we were about to catch him?" The state Patrol Driver says "There is no use - he is an hour ahead of us now".

It reminds me of another - If a train leaves Chicago and is two miles long - when lightning strikes the caboose, will it kill the driver of the train?

I wish you would have stated "engineer" instead of driver. That will open up 2 1/2 months of jokes.

Roy

I flew west across the dateline several times.
Took almost 2 days worth of time to get there.
However I could arrive back at my original destination only 4 hours after taking off in the eastward direction.

I wish you would have stated "engineer" instead of driver. That will open up 2 1/2 months of jokes.

Roy

FYI - it would only kill him if he was a good conductor.

One time we were hunting a friends farm in extreme western Ohio. Part of his property was in Ohio other parts were in Indiana. The border at that point was "drainage ditch". Well there we were with a groundhog in Indiana and we were in Ohio. Ed Jackson said that since both properties were his we could shoot this Indiana Hog from Ohio seeing as we had Ohio Hunting Licenses. So I shot it... It was only 350 yards away, but it was in Indiana and it was on "Gods Time". They don't change time for Daylight savings. So did this hog get shot an hour before I squeezed the trigger?

Paul

Paul regarding daylight savings time. If you lived over on the eastern edge of the eastern time zone like us you would appreciate it!

Back