Threading Tool holder?

Brass is fun but sure gets chips EVERYWHERE! I agree that 1016 is horrible for lathe work. Might work better if supercooled with dry ice and alcohol!

Well I finally got around to threading a piece of barrel scrap. It cuts nicer than the CR but the finish isn't as nice as cutting with the HSS. Not a bad tool to have around especially for the price. The fine thread is 28tpi and the course is 18tpi.

Joe Hynes

For the past two years I have been using a Carmex tool holder
(SER 0500 F16) MSC part # 08700023 On top I have a Carmex partial profile 16 ER A 60 BXC coated insert - MSC part # 05765631. Page 783-784 in the 2007/2008 MSC Big book. I assume you are talking external threads. Bro.D

Looked those up in the MSC catalog and think I need more explanation of how those bits are used. Could you elaborate. Last time I ground a bit was 24 years ago and I know nothing about all these inserts. Do you still set the compound at 29 1/2 degrees when using these full or partial profile inserts? :confused:

Insert Catalog Information

These pages are some of the more helpful sources of threading insert information that I have found. These holders and inserts are available from most of the common suppliers and are sometimes on sale.

FWIW

Holders

Anvils

Inserts

More Inserts

Source

Dave, thanks for the PDF files. I've already saved some from Valenite as well. It's obvious that I have a lot of skull sweat to expend in learning this. Doing homework at 68 isn't as easy as it was at 24. Perhaps you could save me some time and provide an explanation of what the term "laydown" means in reference to these toolholders and inserts.Also, I think I'll have to go back to that MIT site that had the instructional videos on machine tools and see what else I can pick up there. When I think about it, I have a generational gap in my knowledge in this arena.

Laydown...

...just means that, when in use, the insert lies more or less flat in the holder. In other words the screw that secures the insert to the holder passes through the hole in the vertical dimension.

The counter part insert is the "vertical" insert where the screw is horizontal and the insert stands on edge.

I use the laydown system and have found that the full profile inserts produce a very nice finish without having to resort to anvils under the insert. The partial profile inserts that cut a range of threads work well for finer threads but not so good for the coarse threads found on barrel tenons.

As you can see on that one graph 16-18 TPI on work a little over 1 inch in diameter is getting out of the ideal envelope of the helix angle established by the holder pocket.

With a full profile insert I can get beautiful finishes in stainless barrel steel at speeds as low as 45 rpm. I use dark cutting oil, Texaco Sultex D, but for this I think any dark thread cutting oil would work fine.

HTH

Back