Threaded tuners?

In my quest for a tuner here in Australia (after asking for advice on this excellent forum) I found a local manufacturer and after phone contact I was asked to accurately measure my barrel diameter (within 0.04 mm) at the muzzle and and then each 10mm after that for 40mm.

In imperial terms this means to measure to the nearest 0.001" then every 0.040" along the barrel for 1.6"

My tuner arrived after a few weeks, perfectly bored to a snug fit on my old Annie and included a 'Locator' which was a stop to be permanently affixed to the barrel as a reference and it featured a precision drilled hole to ensure that the tuner engaged accurately with a pin each time after it was removed for cleaning.

Very happy, my scores have improved enough for some people to be heard muttering about 'banning tuners' Ha Ha.

My beaut Aussie made tuner came from http://www.loweyproducts.com/products.html

* doggie *
doggie,

Thanks for post. Lowey makes many great products for RFBR shooters. Their machine work is world class.

I've seen many different tuner designs over the years. I've included one below that was designed by a friend of mine.

Years ago, I thought the ball bearing, spring, and O-rings found in the most popular tuners were all potentially bad for accuracy.

My thinking was anything on the end of a barrel that could move, would at some point, and that had to effect consistence/accuracy.

This design does away with all of that. The sleeve is a gauge fit over the barrel and glued in place. The body is screwed on and the tube butts up against the barrel face to lock it in place different size weight heads can be installed. There are no hack marks, so you have to use a caliper to locate your setting then remember that number to reset it.

I used these types of tuners for just over a year and found they worked, but could never tell they were an improvement over the Harrel's tuners.

Now my preferred tuner is the PQP tuners designed by Jerry Stiller and sold by KSS. I'm sure the Lowey tuner will work just as well.

I haven't spent much time with the tuners that slip over the barrel and end at or behind the crown. Maybe someone with experience with this type of tuner will tell us of their experience.

TKH

tuner parts.jpg

In my quest for a tuner here in Australia (after asking for advice on this excellent forum) I found a local manufacturer and after phone contact I was asked to accurately measure my barrel diameter (within 0.04 mm) at the muzzle and and then each 10mm after that for 40mm.

In imperial terms this means to measure to the nearest 0.001" then every 0.040" along the barrel for 1.6"

My tuner arrived after a few weeks, perfectly bored to a snug fit on my old Annie and included a 'Locator' which was a stop to be permanently affixed to the barrel as a reference and it featured a precision drilled hole to ensure that the tuner engaged accurately with a pin each time after it was removed for cleaning.

Very happy, my scores have improved enough for some people to be heard muttering about 'banning tuners' Ha Ha.

My beaut Aussie made tuner came from http://www.loweyproducts.com/products.html

* doggie *

Interesting about the pin.
When Anschutz first came with the 2007 series, they were only barreled actions. This when everything was about rim thickness/ headspace with the 2007 having an adjustable barrel. Guys in California bought 12 and did a major writeup in Precision Shooting.
Anyway,dealers knew zero about them and they sold me one and it came with a non adjustable tuner that located with a pin on the barrel, all this when tuners were by and large unheard of.

Back