thoughts on Lilja Sandburg Taper

M

markd35

I have a finnfire with a Lilja Sandburg taper barrel (21 inch drop in) It shot really good for a while but seams to have fallen off. I plan to send it back and have them look at it. But my question is "if I wind up purchasing another barrel should I go with another Sandburg or get an unfinished barrel of slightly different contour and have my guy here finish it?" One important fact is I do not shoot much BR. this is my main silhouette gun that I shot a little BR with, but mostly silhouette (8.5 lbs, taper barrel, 2lb trigger...)

The drop in sandburg is the easiest by far but I like the feel of a slightly longer (22 inch) slightly more tapered barrel.

Is the sandburg drop in in a stock finnfire action a competitive combo in the lightest class?

Mark,

I doubt any thing has happened to your barrel, its probably not worn out if that's what your thinking. Before you send it it back I would give it a good cleaning and try a handful of lots of eley black box before you send it back. I recently was reminded about how important finding a lot that your rifle likes is when I thought for sure that the Lilja barrel on my Turbo was going south . I was looking into a replacement barrel, but then I found a lot of eley match semi auto that it liked and now the gun shoots better than ever.
A 2lbs is tough to work with and even tougher to see the potential of your set up from the bench. I have a jewel trigger for my finnfire and have a friend who out fits finnfires with Anshutz 1508 triggers. Sound to me like for what your into a better trigger would be worth more than any barrel you could put on. just My 2cents, good luck geting your rig tuned in and have fun shooting.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda agree with Rob. If you haven't confirmed it is clean with a bore scope, I would clean it. I remember back in 95 or 6 my Time was only about 6 months old and I was shooting Eley BRG. I tested some different ammo's including some Federal. Accuracy went to heck. I had been cleaning it with Marine Pal. I called Art about sending the gun back for him to check it out and he recommended I first clean it with Shooters Choice Lead Remover. It then shot good as new. Further testing led me to believe Federal leaded up this barrel real bad, but SCLR would clean it out fine. Rich

Back