thoughts on 8208 xbr?

C

chris30br

Anybody still shooting 8208 xbr in 6ppc? Lets hear how its working for ya. Good or bad.

thoughts on 8208 XBR

I've shot it. iT's a tad slow.
A full case in the PPC is where itt worked for me , That's about 30.5 grs in my rifle.
work up slowly Its also kind of dirty.

Haven't tried it in a PPC yet, but it shot well in my 6 BR. Definitely not as clean as 133, but it isn't bad.

I still have two jugs of XBR and will try it in my PPC when completed (along with LT, 133, and the newer 2015). I suspect the LT and 133 will do the best but I'm want to try some slower burns too (if for no other reason than to check the box).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

If you shoot a .220 Beggs or .22 PPC short give it try there, seems to be a viable powder option.

I really, really like XBR in a 6BR with mid-weight bullets. It really shines.

In the 220 Beggs, I like LT-32, Benchmark and N-133.

Take it for what it's worth,

Greg J.

I find that XBR works good in a 22 ppc, I also have found where it shoots good in a 6 PPC. I have gotten good groups with XBR, but find that for me N133 just has a little better edge, and shrinks the groups just a tab bit. If I could not find N133, XBR would be something I would not be a afraid of using it ion competition, it shoots fairly well. I would pick XBR over H322 and other powders in people commonly use in the PPC.

I've shot it. iT's a tad slow.
A full case in the PPC is where itt worked for me , That's about 30.5 grs in my rifle.
work up slowly Its also kind of dirty.

Your post and Lee Martin's have me scratching my head, I have 2 different lot#'s of IMR 8208 XBR and it is hands down the cleanest burning powder I have ever used. Night and Day cleaner burning than N133

IMR 8208XBR in a 6PPC? It is according to which lot you have. The original test lot, before the gold label product was about perfect. Lot #1 was a bit slow. One of the other 5 lots was considerably slower. You have to remember the XBR is/was some leftover ADI powder from another project.

All in all it is good stuff and gives shooters another choice for whatever they are loading. If you are into mixing powders a 50/50 mixture of XBR and Extreme H322 works well in the 6PPC.

Just needs a little help..

If you are into mixing powders a 50/50 mixture of XBR and Extreme H322 works well in the 6PPC.

Agree with Jerry.... It tunes similar to the 50/50 ratio of H322 to >any< lot of Pulldown >DUPONT< IMR 8208.... Darn nice wide
tune that really shoots in the Dry Hot weather.

cale

IMR 8208XBR in a 6PPC? It is according to which lot you have. The original test lot, before the gold label product was about perfect. Lot #1 was a bit slow. One of the other 5 lots was considerably slower. You have to remember the XBR is/was some leftover ADI powder from another project.

Jerry,
not to get in a back and forth discussion but XBR is not a leftover powder from ADI.:eek:

Jerry,
not to get in a back and forth discussion but XBR is not a leftover powder from ADI.:eek:

It damn sure is. Ask Ron Reiber at Hodgdon. There were several batches of this product made by ADI for a "308 sniper round" contract!!

Jim and I were sent a sample to test and it is off about 110 fps from gold lot #1. There is not a great difference in the lots, no more than you would expect from any wood-cellulose powder but different non the less.

The test lot was marked AR2210 V02 Lot 4674. It was a run of the ADI AR2210 product.

thoughts on 8208XBR?

MY lot was pretty dirty.
I even changed primer to mags to see if it was ignition, NOPE still dirty.
Remember what I said MY lot.

IMR 8208XBR in a 6PPC? It is according to which lot you have. The original test lot, before the gold label product was about perfect. Lot #1 was a bit slow. One of the other 5 lots was considerably slower....

If you are into mixing powders a 50/50 mixture of XBR and Extreme H322 works well in the 6PPC.

Three questions:
1. Where is the lot # located on the label?
2. As for a 50/50 mixture, is that by volume or weight?
3. How many grains of the mixture would you use in a 6PPPC with 68 gr bullets?

Three questions:
1. Where is the lot # located on the label? the lot numbers are in different container sizes and even different lots...go frigger

2. As for a 50/50 mixture, is that by volume or weight? the bulk density of these are so close it makes no difference.
3. How many grains of the mixture would you use in a 6PPPC with 68 gr bullets?
I'd start at about 28 grains. At the Shamrock I was shooting 30.3 g for about 3350 fps.

Your mileage,as they say, may vary.

(GD iPads)

MY lot was pretty dirty.
I even changed primer to mags to see if it was ignition, NOPE still dirty.
Remember what I said MY lot.

Gerry, my 2 lot #'s are 80825104881 and 81201114963 , do you mind sharing what lot # yours is ?

Ratio by...

Hunter,

I use a 1 1/2" diam measure beaker to measure my individual powders that go into a blend... Marks that I go by to
measure my ratio for various blends. Pour into an 8lb clean ex-powder can, Shake and tumble a "fair amount"... Afterwords once
the "blending" powder can is totaly empty, while holding the can touch the earth to ground away static elec... Do this bef too
just to be safe..

But doing it by weight works just as well...

I've done both to get to an end result blend and could not see any vel difference, nor on paper... So I do it through volume.

The Gospel to Blending ....
Thou shall NOT blend any single powder in the completed blend that is too fast for the cartridge.... PERIOD.

cale

Back