Thoughts men on scope for varmint rifle

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
Okay guys, so many choices out there. What kills me is how much our current dollar has effected the cost of powder, brass, bullets, optics etc in this DAMN Liberal country I live in.

I currently run 6 Leupolds,Bushnell Elite 3200, and a Sightron. 3 Leups on my Br rifles, Sightron on Rimfire BR,etc.....

I need another for one of my varmint rigs. This rifle does not get used a lot. Well how can it since I have no scope for it.

Trying decide which way to go. I am having a hard time finding anything like my VX3 40mm 6.5-20 with just a crosshair or duplex side focus.

It seems like everybody is making optics with all them damn cluttered up reticals. I do not want that. Just want something up to maybe a 14x.

Thoughts? Thoughts on the new Bushnells or the Vortex? Have never thought about Nikons but not sure now as the word is they are getting out of scopes.

I know there are a lot of forums to ask but I have a bit more trust in the BR guys and our thoughts.

Calvin

Last edited:
I have an old VXIII 4.5x14 40mm AO 1" tube that sits on my .222. It does not have target turrets and has a fine duplex reticle. I like it a lot. I know that it is not in style, but for the distances that I shoot at with the rifle, usually no more than 300 yards, it is a perfect match. I simply sight it in about an inch high at 100 yards, and hold off as needed. With 40 gran V-maxes it is a blast.

I'm a bunch with The Boyd here.....you don't "need" the side focus parallax on a varmint scope. IMO one of the best deals out there is an old school Vari-X III 6.5X20X40mm with the one inch tube. Shiney ones are easily had for cheap, lifetime warranteed and just bullet proof. I say "cheap"... you've still got to shop as most people are "asking" 500-650USD but I've picked up several shiny ones for around 300.00 I've recently put together some olde schoole varmint setups and it's really pleasant to buy one inch rings for like a dollar, set the scope down nice and low and end up with a neat little varmint setup that shoots lights out, carries like a gun and you really never need a bigger tube. even if you really need to reach out a 20moa base is again, cheap and easy and sets the longer range stuff right in the middle of the tube. And as far as the short-range targets being "in the top of the adjustament" and "out of ocular center...... well hey, ya' can't really miss out to a couple hunner't yards with a good gun!

The front parallax is a bitofa' pain, but ohh well..... for hundreds of dollars I can reach.... and if you can live with 4.5-14 they're cheaper by half.

Pawn shops, swap meets, anywhere you can meet a guy face to face with cash.

For myself, I've tried all the other lower priced brands and over a long day with the sage rats they give me a headache. I prefer a used Leupold over any other in that price range.

Okay guys, so many choices out there. What kills me is how much our current dollar has effected the cost of powder, brass, bullets, optics etc in this DAMN Liberal country I live in.

I currently run 6 Leupolds,Bushnell Elite 3200, and a Sightron. 3 Leups on my Br rifles, Sightron on Rimfire BR,etc.....

I need another for one of my varmint rigs. This rifle does not get used a lot. Well how can it since I have no scope for it.

Trying decide which way to go. I am having a hard time finding anything like my VX3 40mm 6.5-20 with just a crosshair or duplex side focus.

You mention that the Rifle that needs a scope is seldom used. Would it be feasible to obtain a scope mounting system(Hardware),that would allow you to easily transfer your favorite VX3 40MM 6.5-20 to the Varmint Rig.

None of my hunting Rifle scopes are married to a specific Rifle. I relocate them when the need arises. It's cheaper that way. Just my way of thinking.

Glenn

Last edited:
scope

The last scope I bought was a Leupold 6.5 x 20 vx3 30 mm tube 50 obj. lens. Probably the clearest scope I own. Gave a 1000 bucks for it. Not sure if I need a 1000 dollar scope but I got one anyway. It sure looks different than them old Lymans I got on my pre 64s. Doug

do some window shopping an various forums with stuff for sale.
here is one, armslist is another( you can sort it by state for a local purchase)
and the obvious gun list forums.
I use higher powdered scopes on mine.8-32, 6-24x are popular I tend to stick to 30mm tubes today better light.
luepold made some nice 4/4.5-14x scopes

Varmint scopes

Calvin -

Howdy!

Last time I checked, Leupold would swap out reticles in their products; dependent on just exactly what scope you hope to mod.

I used a Leupold 6.5 x 20 on my groundhog rifle, for many years. I first sent it to Leupold, and had them stick in their “CPC” crosshair for me.

My scope preferences thus far are similar to yours. I myself have neither used or purchased a “BDC”- style reticle.

If you think your needs might be well served w/ a scope having an upper magnification limit of 14X, a Leupold
4.5 x 14 might suffice ?

With regards,
.357Mag

Thanks guys...

You clarified what I thought.

Yes there may SUPPOSEDLY be better out there but nothing I feel like that of what Leupold offers and there warranty.

I have yet to send one back for warranty work. Will see what the hometown Gun and Collectable show has to offer in 3 weeks.

Calvin

Al.........

Dang right it's "a bit of a pain".......and then some.......especially after shoulder surgery!!

For PD's......ALL day long......a side-focus is worth it's weight in GOLD. :) :)

Kevin

Dang right it's "a bit of a pain".......and then some.......especially after shoulder surgery!!

For PD's......ALL day long......a side-focus is worth it's weight in GOLD. :) :)

Kevin

OUCH!

I can't argue with that!

Calvin's still a whip-limber younker though..... he can reach out ;) maybe?

I buy used Leupold 6.5-20 x40 scopes and love them. When i can't afford that I buy used 6-18 Varix2 Leupolds with target turrets and plex. I find them to be a fine scope and never paid over $400 for one. I bought a basic Vortex Viper and would not buy another. I like the Leupold. And I am not above using a 24 or 36 Weaver T, which can be had cheap. Note the theme...used, cheap, all with great warranty.

I shoot groundhogs and paper/steel. I would like my next scopes to have some vertical dots, since I hope to PD hunt more and don't want to dial so much.

It seems like everybody is making optics with all them damn cluttered up reticals. I do not want that. Just want something up to maybe a 14x.

Thoughts? Thoughts on the new Bushnells or the Vortex? Have never thought about Nikons but not sure now as the word is they are getting out of scopes.

I know there are a lot of forums to ask but I have a bit more trust in the BR guys and our thoughts.

Calvin

What varmints and ranges?
Caliber?

6 mm makes for some really nice BC bullets for longer range critters.

While for pure target use I avoid zoom scopes, that at least slightly larger size of a varmint
compared to group size shooting often makes them worth the chance.

When you are using the field flora for wind estimating a zoom with a decently high power helps.
It can also be used to view mirage.

My best Varmint scope is a Leupold zoom with a power doubler and a reticle
(Premier Reticles used to do this) that looks like I want it to look.

IIRC it was about q 6x to 20 x zoom, but the doubler collides to limit the bottom end.
It is around 18x to 40x.
50 mm for brightness.

Groundhogs at 400+ yards are not much of a challenge with a 6mm REM AI tight neck chamber.
neck walls are 0.0100 thick with about 1.5 mil clearance for bullet release.

Last edited:
Calvin, can Canadians purchase a scope in the U.S. and have shipped up there w/o too much hassle? -Al

I'm curious as to Calvin's experiences.......

Since Homeland inSincerity went into effect my Canuck buddies and rellies have found it ridiculously hard to get stuff into the states and even harder to get stuff out! It's not the Canadian side that's a problem it's our US laws!! Canada charges a token import fee based solely on value but the US has stacked all sorts of junk in the road.

Since DHS and their partner in crime TSA have zero oversight they just make up laws as they go along and they've instituted an "Export Tax" for which you need an "Export Permit" before you can legally send Calvin a scope..... and normal Americans just set back and smirk and think "well, sucks to be them"

and guys like me get kicked off forums for badmouthing and fighting our "government" LOL

Legally, you need import/export paperwork

For what that costs, and the exchange in the dollar, it is not worth it.

I am sure there are those that purchase in the US and hope they make it to the Canadian border. If they do you are at the mercy of Canadian Border Services. Canadian law we can bring one across. US Homeland security says otherwise.

Nothing to say if you try to declare it at the border that they will refuse you.

Calvin

I see Al beat me to the punch

Exactly what Al said.

My take, I am a responsible Canadian gun owner. I have and renew my Possesion/Aquisition License every 5 years. My 3 hand guns are registered and I buy my range membership yearly to also legally possess my handguns. In Canada they can ONLY LEGALLY be discharged at a approved range.

Even though that and having NO criminal record, I feel living outside of the US, and living in my own home country being a gun owner, I may be a criminal or terrorist.

I understand why the US has imposed what they may have but let the people in the KNOW make those decisions. For Pete's sake have any of those people ever been to Canada or Manitoba? We live in igloos you know.......lol

Too bad Canadians can't have scopes shipped in from here. There are some very good deals on optics right now.

Just scooped up a couple, for rifles yet to be built. ;)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Back