Thomas BR

cortezit

I have seen a lot of scores posted with the Thomas BR but I have not seen a lot of personal story comments about the Thomas BR gun from Thomas owners. Maybe I am just not using the right search engine? Will some of you Thomas Owners chime I'm about your personal experiences.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tom, I'm an owner of one of those.
It's a piece of machinery, which displays a great workmanship.
I don't have yet enough time to say much more, but today on the National Championship capable of a couple of 249, so...

A Thomas

is built like the machine a Benchrest rifle should be. No wooden or much of a stock, heck , it hardly looks like a rifle but it seems to have been designed to be absolutely the best machine for the job. I think even they( the Thomas') depend on a great barrel and pellets though. Perhaps the lad who makes them knows something about all of that.

At any rate, I think the Thomas is a great example of someone's starting from scratch to make something work great without having to modify someone else's work and a fresh look at design (s).

Pete

Last edited:
More time at the range...
It's a great rifle, and indeed a project started from scratch.
The builder is a very nice person to deal with and, in my case, the rifle wasn't delivered until he wasn't satisfied with the barrel. Couple of months and barrel batches were needed to reach the Thomas standard. Only after that he sent me the rifle.
I'm very satisfied and a proud owner.
:cool:

I think even they (the Thomas') depend on a great barrel and pellets though. Perhaps the lad who makes them knows something about all of that.

Pete

I tested one of these guns 2 months ago and this machine is very well balanced from mass (weight) to timing of regulator's BAR pressure and size of transfer ports, to barrel specs...Hey!, as a bonus it also has an excellent trigger!...
I believe I mentioned in another post that this gun was "Boringly Precise" and it is...It has been the gun with the largest sweet spot I have ever shot in BR, and probably the most forgiving gun as well...My highly tuned gun is as accurate, but by no means as forgiving...I just don't enjoy Thomas' fringe benefits.

These are very hard to beat guns when in competition, but not invincible by any means...The one and only issue with these machines that I see may be the slow twist barrel and low power/light pellets combination...Deadly accurate with Monsters 13.4 gr. pellets in HV and Open, but weak shooting LV with lighter pellets at 12 ft./lb...I have read some owners having 2 barrels for coping with this issue and someone stated that he swapped his barrel for a 12 groove LW that shoots LV and HV very well...Anyhow, I am sure Mike is looking into other routes and alternatives, and watching him shooting that "Pistol Size" barrel at the Nationals (video posted in this forum) tells me that he is in constant "Research and Development" and that there is more to come and to be seen in the near future.

Best regards,

AZ

Last edited:
A number of the CF Group Shooters

I tested one of these guns 2 months ago and this machine is very well balanced from mass (weight) to timing of regulator's BAR pressure and size of transfer ports, to barrel specs...Hey!, as a bonus it also has an excellent trigger!...
I believe I mentioned in another post that this gun was "Boringly Precise" and it is...It has been the gun with the largest sweet spot I have ever shot in BR, and probably the most forgiving gun as well...My highly tuned gun is as accurate, but by no means as forgiving...I just don't enjoy Thomas' fringe benefits.

These are very hard to beat guns when in competition, but not invincible by any means...The one and only issue with these machines that I see may be the slow twist barrel and low power/light pellets combination...Deadly accurate with Monsters 13.4 gr. pellets in HV and Open, but weak shooting LV with lighter pellets at 12 ft./lb...I have read some owners having 2 barrels for coping with this issue and someone stated that he swapped his barrel for a 12 groove LW that shoots LV and HV very well...Anyhow, I am sure Mike is looking into other routes and alternatives, and watching him shooting that "Pistol Size" barrel at the Nationals (video posted in this forum) tells me that he is in constant "Research and Development" and that there is more to come and to be seen in the near future.

Best regards,

AZ

Carry a number of barrels with them and switch at matches, depending on ambient conditions. I read where one shooter has 30 barrels , with data, he carries with him so that he can try to guess better.

Changing barrels is pretty easy. The other side of it is all the testing - - - -. Fine for people with a long time horizon I guess, and it's a way forward.

Then one has that pellet lot thing - - -.

Pete

Last edited:
Back