this is a new question regarding the 6.5 creedmoor

B

bearchaser

BEEN HAVING ISSUES WITH THIS RIFLE SHOOTING DIFFERENT LOADS,ETC.

For some reason the thought came to mind,that maybe this barrel needs
a pressure point toward to front of the stock..The whole thing is floated
to the recoil lug..I have done the OCW test as well as different OAL's
Heres the kicker..it is a shaw varmint weight barrel. I have heard several
pro's and cons on these barrels...I know years ago I had a 243 I tinkered
with for a long time and put a little pressure on the barrel..It came to life..
Anyway,I would appreciate any comments on this.

BEEN HAVING ISSUES WITH THIS RIFLE SHOOTING DIFFERENT LOADS,ETC.

For some reason the thought came to mind,that maybe this barrel needs
a pressure point toward to front of the stock..The whole thing is floated
to the recoil lug..I have done the OCW test as well as different OAL's
Heres the kicker..it is a shaw varmint weight barrel. I have heard several
pro's and cons on these barrels...I know years ago I had a 243 I tinkered
with for a long time and put a little pressure on the barrel..It came to life..
Anyway,I would appreciate any comments on this.

Bearchaser,, I think a quality barrel will shoot some load (don't know what load) w/barrel free floated. I've never owned a Shaw but have friends that have. I'll make no comments on that subject. But I have seen too many creedmoors perform well, (I have shot and witnessed) There are seven rifles me and friends have, and we all shoot together,, out to 1000 yds.. All I can say is that the three Douglas and the 4 Brux all have performed above our expectations, previous to owning one..Most are shooting touching lands or .010" off. They shoot Sierras,, Bergers, and one is great w/A-Max.. My rifle also shot a box of 123 Superformance loaded rds (factory hornadys pretty good. If you pm me I'll give you the loads

The cartridge is a born shooter. Some barrels just wont shoot. No matter what you do to a bad barrel it wont shoot. Youll burn up the price of a new barrel and wear it out anyway just trying to convince it to shoot.

Bartlein BBL

I have had a Creedmoor, 6.5 for 3 yrs........Had Lothar Walther BBL shooting F-Class for 2 years...About 2500 rds later installed a Bartlein..........Several powders shot well, Berger 140 Hybrids and 139 Lapua are great........100 yd tuning and will shoot .2" and under and into the O's.........First time fired beyond 100 yds was a 3X600 Match.........First Relay shot 200 clean with 17 X's........It is a shooter....My friend was shooting a 6BR and wanted more horsepower and he decided to go CREEDMOOR.........He beats me more than i beat him now...........If serious about LONG RANGE to 1000 yds, get a Bartlein, Brux, Krieger and can't go wrong........IMO

I chambered myself a 6.5 creedmoore for a 600 yard rifle a few years back. No joke, that rifle would shoot 3 shot zeros at 100 yards. I never did make it to a long range match, before I lost interest and sold the rifle. I will have another before to long!! I don't know anything about Shaw barrels, other than the obvious. You get what you pay for. Buy a Bartlein, Brux or Krieger and don look back. Lee

The cartridge is a born shooter. Some barrels just wont shoot. No matter what you do to a bad barrel it wont shoot. Youll burn up the price of a new barrel and wear it out anyway just trying to convince it to shoot.

Read this until you believe it!!!

When you buy barrels at that price point you always take a chance. They generally shoot well enough for average hunting rifles and a few shoot pretty darn good. But you never know. Since it won't shoot a pressure point might be worth a try. If that works how well it shoots at long range would be any ones guess. You also need to take a hard look at the rest of the rifle and make sure everything there is up to snuff. There are all sorts of things that can cause poor accuracy other than the barrel.

Back