The Un-Calfee Rifle

Yep

I had my colonoscopy a couple months back. I'm pretty sure that's the same unit they used.
Or maybe a larger size on me !! Of course the "happy juice" guy asked if I was a drinker, I said naw. Had I said yes I'd get the "how much, how often" crap. He said well I won't give you much WHATEVER in the IV. I wondered if I made a mistake. It must have been when Doc. clipped the one polyp he found that I heard myself grunting!! Next time I'll tell him I drink early & often so hit the juice hard! :)

An admission!

We had dinner in Jonesville NC, as we stopped for the night, on our way to Bluffton SC. We overheard our waitress saying to a local at the next table that she had gone sledding yesterday in a cow pasture. She was very excited. When she came over to check on us my wife asked, "Did we overhear you say you went sledding yesterday?" She said, "Yes, we don't get snow here very often , but I love it. It was only the second time I ever did any sledding." I told her to come to NY and take as much as she wants. She replied, "Well I like it, but we don't know how to drive in it. Maybe you had a chance to see some of that."

So there you have it, a full confession. It's not just a Yankee's assessment. There is only a few remnants of the snow left.

My Un-Calfee Rifle

My Un-calfee Rifle preformed admerably this week :)

I Just returned from the Lapua Test Center with a special lot of Ammo that is putting down consistent 11mm groups (Outside to Outside) at a couple points the 100m groups were as close to as good as the 50m groups. The rifle is a Feinwerkbau 2602, with Benchmark 3 grove barrel, No Tunner; However, I have a UG Tube on the front with the tuner weights off. I may not shoot much bench-rest (3-position shooter) but I do plan to shoot a few more ARA Matches this year to see if i could learn wind reading better...

Also could we keep the arguing to a minimum?

enjoy a couple pictures:

I ended with Midas +
Two 10 shot groups at 50 measuring:
.390" & .461" (Outside Outside)

I would say it shoots well, man would i like to have tested the Lapua X-Act but my wallet just would have that. maybe ill test a couple boxes for grins at the next ARA Shoot.

Sincerely,
Cameron

Good Morning Cameron

I am very interested in seeing how and if PRX can be applied to the bloop tubes that are commonly used on 3P.

I would be interested in knowing what your barrel length and tuner length are.

Drop me a line at prx2500@outllook.com

I appreciate any help you might give

Tony Purdy
The Purdy Prescription

You're right Sam, he did say he had no tuner. But he did say he had a UG tube, which I believe is custom tunable bloop tube developed by Eric Uptagraf.

I am also doing a little bloop tube work on my own and am always looking for information and insight.

Have a great day

Tony

Last edited:
PacRat,

My barrel is 26" inches long; however, the PRX term you used does not compute with me at the moment.

On the tuner note, the tube made by Eric Uptagraft (UG) has a small threaded section, where two threaded weights could be adjusted forward and back. The forward one has indexing marks and the rear weight is used to lock the forward one into place. adjustable to I think .002" increments, I could get some pictures if you like?

Good Morning Cameron

PRX stands for the Purdy Prescription. It is a process I came up with to determine the tune for 22 RFBR rifles. It is used primarily for the Harrels tuner, and both the long a short slide. It is based primarily on finding the right length for the correct tune.

Since a bloop tube adds length, it stands to reason (at least to me), that a bloop tube at the correct length would enhance accuracy as well

I would appreciate some pics. All I have seen is what is on Eric's website

Have a great day my friend

Tony Purdy
The Purdy Prescription

Tuna......

Well Gordon just got my stock and action in and is going to put a barrel on it this weekend. Bill, it will be a little more Un then yours........That case of brown water is ready for you ! Just think sausage and free car washes.......Now if we could only talk Pepper out of that 4 machine!

Jim......Your 2500...IT SHOOTS. I know, trust me. I washed my hands before shooting it. Ed.

Hey wait just a doggone minute! Gordon let you shoot it before me. Can't be!! Everyone knows those 2500Xs can't shoot in a basket. It's been decreed!! That barrel sure slugged nice tho. I'm sure Jim is wearing a big ole smile this morning.

Smile?

Hey wait just a doggone minute! Gordon let you shoot it before me. Can't be!! Everyone knows those 2500Xs can't shoot in a basket. It's been decreed!! That barrel sure slugged nice tho. I'm sure Jim is wearing a big ole smile this morning.

Ol' Jim wouldn't be wearin such a smile should he come back to NY and try to win a match here!! That warm southern sun has a way of spoilin a guy. :).....That is one smooth shootin iron tho. Come on back Jim, we'll warm up a bench for you.

Ol' Jim wouldn't be wearin such a smile should he come back to NY and try to win a match here!! That warm southern sun has a way of spoilin a guy. :).....That is one smooth shootin iron tho. Come on back Jim, we'll warm up a bench for you.

I might just do that this year,I want to whip Gordon in his own backyard. Plus Pepper still owes me Peter Lugers. Pepper those Eck boys can eat trust me !

Well this definitely won't fall into the Calfee rifle class. It's a Ballard Model 6 1/2 Rigby off hand rifle. The barrel was replaced by the Steven's factory around 1909. The gun went from most likely a .32-40 or .38-55 caliber gun and was converted to .22RF. The barrel has 8 grooves, a left hand twist and gain twist rifling. 18-16.5 twist. Gun shoots awesome. Just got it back from the stock being repaired and the crown was damaged and I didn't have the tools/actions wrenches and I wasn't going to be the guy to have to take the barrel off and risk damaging the factory engraving so I sent it to SPG Lube/Wyoming Armory. Steve and Keith performed they're normal magic. Steve shot it from a Pope machine rests. The ammo the gun like the best and he just thru a variety of stuff thru it he had laying around was Federal Ultra Match (UM1). The gun would shoot that ammo into nice small ragged holes. One group came in at .237" H x .200" wide center to center. The target shown is .306" H x .244" W. The groups were fired at 65 yards. Outside and in the cold of Wyoming just a couple of weeks ago.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Your Ballard Ammo likes

Wouldn't you know it, UM 1!! IMHO one of the best ammos ever produced. Unobtanium now, or so they say. :)

Gorgeous rifle Frank!!

Last edited:
It really won't matter.

It really wont matter - if you build the ultimate un-Calfee rifle, shot by an un-Calfee shooter, and it's breaks every record ever set, Ole' BC will claim that you stole the idea from him anyway.

Well this definitely won't fall into the Calfee rifle class. It's a Ballard Model 6 1/2 Rigby off hand rifle. The barrel was replaced by the Steven's factory around 1909. The gun went from most likely a .32-40 or .38-55 caliber gun and was converted to .22RF. The barrel has 8 grooves, a left hand twist and gain twist rifling. 18-16.5 twist. Gun shoots awesome. Just got it back from the stock being repaired and the crown was damaged and I didn't have the tools/actions wrenches and I wasn't going to be the guy to have to take the barrel off and risk damaging the factory engraving so I sent it to SPG Lube/Wyoming Armory. Steve and Keith performed they're normal magic. Steve shot it from a Pope machine rests. The ammo the gun like the best and he just thru a variety of stuff thru it he had laying around was Federal Ultra Match (UM1). The gun would shoot that ammo into nice small ragged holes. One group came in at .237" H x .200" wide center to center. The target shown is .306" H x .244" W. The groups were fired at 65 yards. Outside and in the cold of Wyoming just a couple of weeks ago.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank, now that's a classic.

Back