The Un-Calfee Rifle

I've good tires and lots of experience driving in snow - no problem. It's you southerners who don't know how to drive on it that I gotta look out for. :D Now ice is another thing, without sand or salt, ain't nobody goin' anywhere unless you have studded tires.
Hell Bill, I can drive on snow fine. But here in Arkansas, we don't get "snow". It might come down that way, but 12 hours later it's mostly all turned to ice. The really bad thing is that we don't get enough of it to warrant snowplows, widespread salt/sand (just the highways) or studded tires. And folks think that you shouldn't drive over 25 on the freeway (of course they are the ones that slide back down the hills backwards too.)

Here's what you boys down in the Southeast ought to do, see Tuna (aka Jim Mollica) and buy a Subaru Forester or Outback and put on a set of Nokian WRG3. IMO the best cars for snow. While you are there, you can talk rimfire and have him tell you about his Un-Calfee. (See what I just did there? Brought it right back on topic.)

The Problem!

Here's what you boys down in the Southeast ought to do, see Tuna (aka Jim Mollica) and buy a Subaru Forester or Outback and put on a set of Nokian WRG3. IMO the best cars for snow. While you are there, you can talk rimfire and have him tell you about his Un-Calfee. (See what I just did there? Brought it right back on topic.)

Every Suburu I`ve seen in the Atlanta area has stickers all over them ! Mostly Obama stickers , every time I see one now I look at it and low and behold it`s ugly white chick that only her mother could love, look around while your down here in SC ,tree huggers & Suburus/Obama don`t fit most folks of the folks down here that shoot rifles of any discipline!

See any

Every Suburu I`ve seen in the Atlanta area has stickers all over them ! Mostly Obama stickers , every time I see one now I look at it and low and behold it`s ugly white chick that only her mother could love, look around while your down here in SC ,tree huggers & Suburus/Obama don`t fit most folks of the folks down here that shoot rifles of any discipline!

With Rainbow stickers on them? I may buy a Prius someday...to be the only one in my state driving one with an NRA sticker on it!

They usallyhave too many to read them all!

With Rainbow stickers on them? I may buy a Prius someday...to be the only one in my state driving one with an NRA sticker on it!

I`m sure Jesse Jacksons Suburu has a Rainbow sticker on it! It`s amazing that it is a cult car! Kinda like the Volvo/Rottweiler with Nigerians!

Willy,

I have to make a living somehow, if you put stickers on your car it voids our free car wash policy. Unless it's an NRA sticker. Look at the Atlanta road mess and then lets talk driving. Bill,it will be in the 70 something on Saturday ! We can have an Uncola when you arrive.

Can you top this Bill ?

w024ug.jpg

Last edited:
Subaru is a terrific snow vehicle. Folks in Atlanta don't know about that. Come on guys, with all the stuff we carry with us big PU's or Suburbans are the way to go. On the other hand my Toyota SUV has 180k on it with only a single front wheel bearing gone bad so far. I'm gonna drive it till it drops then get me a PU.

Everyone says the northern folks can drive in snow. Somewhat true except for the first snow of the season. Everyone has to re-learn that day which makes it a good time to curl up and stay at home. 3 inches of white fluffy here this morning and its bumper cars time. bob

Bob and Fred

Three of us used to pack all our gear for shooting IBS centerfire in my old Ford Taurus 4 door sedan. Cramped a bit but all in. It had a huge trunk. Subarus are really popular in Maine and for good reason. Very reliable too. I hate buying Arab gas so my travel vehicle will need to be a balance of gear hauling capability and VERY good gas mileage. I don't think those two are mutually exclusive. Greg

What cha gotta do there Slick is change that perception by taking over the brand yourself. You buy one from Mollica, put on your NRA stickers, hang some of them rubber ball sacks off the trailer hitch, and then folks will be saying. I like them Subarus but every one I see has NRA stickers all over 'em and are driven by some ulgy, redneck, white dude. You could be a trend setter. They are a tough, reliable vehicle. A couple years back I took a few buddies in my Subaru Outback deer hunting on a road on a State preserve that doesn't get plowed. I went by a Ford Explorer that was stuck. We got a few looks. I don't care who-all else drive them.

As far as holding stuff, put down the rear seats and there is plenty of room for stuff. Mel Eck and I went to the Nats one year in my Subaru with all our combined gear and luggage and got 30 MPG highway to boot and then came back with that same gear, plus some wood, lots of Rock Creek barrels and a few guns for Gordon to work on.

Last edited:
Fred: I had one of those. I almost went broke throwing parts at it. I used to drive Chevy's but that one broke me of the habit, then they became Govt Motors and no way I'd go back now even if the Govt divested of GM at a big loss.

Greg: A vast majority of our gas comes from right here in the USA or from our friends up north. in fact we export some too. It is a global market tho, so your point is well taken.

Bill: Around here they frown upon anyone hunting in a preserve, you could go to jail for it so be careful if you hunt down here. bob

Last edited:
Willy,

I have to make a living somehow, if you put stickers on your car it voids our free car wash policy. Unless it's an NRA sticker. Look at the Atlanta road mess and then lets talk driving. Bill,it will be in the 70 something on Saturday ! We can have an Uncola when you arrive.

Can you top this Bill ?

w024ug.jpg

What the heck is that thing? If that is a rail gun, I'd be careful with it. It looks like the barrel is pointing at the shooter. An Obama design maybe?

What the heck is that thing? If that is a rail gun, I'd be careful with it. It looks like the barrel is pointing at the shooter. An Obama design maybe?
Servo driven mini-gun. That thing under the rear handle is "just" the spindle support - the barrel(s) point the other direction. Belt fed. 4000 rounds per minute. (give or take)

Hey Tuna, Gordon just stopped by and dropped off a big bag of kielbasa for you. Why, in just a couple days you're going to have more sausage than Linda Lovelace. :eek:

Hey Tuna, Gordon just stopped by and dropped off a big bag of kielbasa for you. Why, in just a couple days you're going to have more sausage than Linda Lovelace. :eek:

Bill,

I heard she is driving around in a Subaru too...... Sausage and Subaru's,Willy will be at the front door tomorrow if he can ever make it through Atlanta.

Bill that tube underneath is a reverse harmonic tuner .Vibe it takes an X pattern wave and changes it to a parallel wave =)

Willy,

Can you top this Bill ?

w024ug.jpg

I had my colonoscopy a couple months back. I'm pretty sure that's the same unit they used.

Back