The Right Kind of Help for the World Benchrest Shooters and USA Shooters

B

Bob Collins

I’ll be in Summerville for the World Shoot with what Eley I have – not much – it was bought up before I was informed it was here, so I did something better. I got ten Lots of R50 being delivered straight to Summerville today; five have been tested and are some of the best ammo I have ever shot. I have had several testers agree with me, the others spec sheets are just as good as the first five; I will have the Lot specifications with me. By the way, they are loaded on different machines with different velocities and I have some 1052 to 1962 fps Lots to test coming up soon.
I got Eley started again here back in the 90’s, with “Try a Box”, now I want us to give RWS the same support. We need more than one source for quality ammo. I have gone to tuning all guns with R50 because I get the best tuner location first. My Eley will shoot at several tuner locations, but the R50 won’t, but Eley will shoot at the R50 setting, and I think it shoots better at the RWS setting. I get a truer tuner setting much quicker using R50, plus shots that I use to get caught on – a flag moving 20 to 180 degrees gets there fast enough to be a 10 or X instead of a 8 or 9.
Here is the best part of trying R50; I’ll be selling it for a limited time for $12.00 a box while this shipment lasts. Try several Lots for testing; I think you will agree with me, we now have two quality ammo manufactures’ and the folks at RWS want to be Number 1 here too. We will all winners.
Bob Collins
Bob@22rf.com
478-952-8204
New address - I’m not in Montezuma any more.
165A Riverside Drive
Cobb, GA 31735

Answering a question

Mike,
The 1052 to1062 fps converts to 320 to 324 meters per second, I’m shooting 330 mps or 1082 fps. I won the 2009 shooting Eley at 1078 fps that chronographed at 1088 fps in my gun and my Eley Sporter lot at 1051 fps, but Mike Cameron and I check it at 1095 to 1098 fps. My Sporter Nationals win last year was with R50 – 581 at 1085 fps. Go figure; RWS’s speeds seems to be right while Eley’s seem to be faster than stated, but it is only a relative number. Each gun seems to like something different, but I do think faster is better – most all position shooters shoot faster ammo.
Bob Collins

Bob,

Out of interest do you know how many machines RWS have making R50. I asked our distributor here in the UK and he said one, but admitted it was years ago he was last at the factory.

Brian

Like Eley, I guess RWS also keeps their secrets close to their hearts, but as I understand the heads attach to the loading machine and they have several – just like Eley. You can’t run one all the time without repairs and daily maintenance, so they just switch out the heads.
Bob Collins

Hey, not trying to hijack this thread, but there are actually more than two manufacturers of quality ammunition for the rimfire competitor. I realize that Bob is operating a business and needs to promote that business, but Lapua ammunition is absolutely a viable option, and Lapua has held prices all during 2010 and 2011!! Try the Midas+ and the CenterX.
Adam Braverman
Lapua

Sure is nice to see someone get behind RWS rimfire ammo help them into this Benchrest market. I always thought they had some good ammo it was just hard to get many lots to pick from. Now Bob has more lots in one place then I have ever seen for RWS R50. I do have a question for Bob. Do you know what the break down of the lot numbers for R50 is? Like do they mean anything us shooter would like to know?

Thanks Scott

Last edited:
Hey, not trying to hijack this thread, but there are actually more than two manufacturers of quality ammunition for the rimfire competitor. I realize that Bob is operating a business and needs to promote that business, but Lapua ammunition is absolutely a viable option, and Lapua has held prices all during 2010 and 2011!! Try the Midas+ and the CenterX.
Adam Braverman
Lapua

Adam,

There is nothing wrong with Lapua, I’ve won a BR world championships with Eley won BR nationals with RWS and also won BR nationals and picked up a few international medals using Lapua and I’ve said on this and other forums that X-Act is the most consistent ammo out there. But in my case I would like to use X-Act in big matches but finding the right lot has not been easy, so I feed some barrels R50.

Peter

Adam

I think we all know Lapua has great ammo also. I think its just nice to have a third choice now maybe if the RWS R50 works out, Now that we have alot more lots to test from. I think Bob is trying to pretest the ammo also.

Scott

Last edited:
Back