The New SEB Rest

Seb
My dream heavygun rest wouldn't have a co-axial top unless it is rock steady or could be locked down.It would weigh 35 pounds or more but would have areas were a 25 pound bag of lead shot or weights could easily be added.The rest legs would have nice sharp points that didn't dull.All the knobs would be extra large and knurled twice as deep as normal.The center post would be 3 inches in diameter or it would have multiple outboard posts that were large in diameter.Its base would fit the benches top and not be a perfect triangle in its shape.
It would have heli-coils in all holes not steel on aluminum to prevent galling.The mariners wheel if so equipped would be huge and ride on flat bearings.The windage top would ride on linear bearings if so equipped.There would be no springs at all for windge.Caged bolts with very little backlash would be used so the windage was positive in both directions.
It would have rear rest alignment factored into its design along with handles to move it around and a durable finish not paint.It wouldn't have one large bag that bulges in the center it would have two "L" shaped bags on each edge or side.If it had a rear speedscrew it would need to have way more travel built into it than is currently available from a Sinclair.
It would have a hand/arm support and a loading block near the actions port that is reversible.It would have a 5 shot and 10 shot cartridge tray milled into it that is non heat transferring.
It should have a quick exchange top so it can double for a lightgun and not be so long that a lightgun won't fit with a coventional stock.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Lynn,

Just one thing you might forgot or didn't know before this...
You say "it wouldn't have a coaxial top unless the top is rock solid or could be locked down".
....Have you tried a coaxial rest before?

In a coaxial rest, whatever the brand/maker is, you could/should be able to set the top at the LOWEST position, & locked it down, IF you wish to. This would act as a rock solid top, with no movement at all in all planes. BUT the consequence is, you wouldn't be able to move the top/joystick AS A COAXIAL REST IS INTENDED FOR! ....i.e to have a quick X&Y plane adjustments in ONE motion. I don't think you would use a coaxial rest w/ the top locked down because you can use a fix/conventioal rest instead...
Anyway, with proper design and treatment, a coaxial rest CAN, & WILL RESIST weight/vertical force up to, say 100 lbs - without problem.
Trust me on this!
I stand on my Neo top now, my weight is about 155 lbs, and my little daughter (13) still can move the joystick without so hard.... if I add a 15 lbs or so counter balance weight (I set the rest in "normal motion" now), and probably lengthen the joystick, use stronger springs etc, I'm sure the top wouldn't move at all and the joystick operation will still be light & smooth.
That's easy.

One other thing is, EVEN if you set the tension light (=rest top would drop down under HG weight), you could easily move the top faster & easier than using a fix/conventional rest with two (X&Y) adjustments.
How many times you had to wait for a condition while shooting?
I don't shoot or have experience in 1000 yds competition, but I am sure you want to shoot as quick as possible when the condition remain "stays".
That is why a coaxial rest "shines" on this aspect. That is why you see a lot of coaxial rests used in the SuperShoot/WBC/WBSF etc. That is also why I only make coaxial rest.

No, I don't/wouldn't try to "attrack?" you or so...just for an eye openner!

seb.:)

Last edited:
Sablambang Will your rest except a single sand bag, Williamsport Rules say A Sandbag, and that it must be a Minimum 1 1/2" wide by 4" long. Any gunstock or accessories theron must maintain a minimum of 1/2'' from the top of any retainer or container holding the sandbag on which the stock or part thereof rests. This sandbag upon which the stock or part therof rests is permitted to wrap upward around the sides of the rifle, for no more than 1/2" maximum. Don't want the people buying them and finding out latter there not legal. Other than that it looks Great.

Joe Salt

Seb
I have never used a co-axial rest and just wanted to let you know any top needs to be rock steady for a heavygun in order to run your shots.

If you use a Sinclair windage top you will notice it rocks on you left and right if the top is sitting all the way down on the mariners wheel.There is a screw under there that one must grind down in order to lessen that from happening.It still rocks on you just not as bad.
If I can find a picture I will post what my rest looks like currently.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Sablambang Will your rest except a single sand bag, Williamsport Rules say A Sandbag, and that it must be a Minimum 1 1/2" wide by 4" long. Any gunstock or accessories theron must maintain a minimum of 1/2'' from the top of any retainer or container holding the sandbag on which the stock or part thereof rests. This sandbag upon which the stock or part therof rests is permitted to wrap upward around the sides of the rifle, for no more than 1/2" maximum. Don't want the people buying them and finding out latter there not legal. Other than that it looks Great.

Joe Salt

Joe,
My current rest prototypes have a "3-bags" config...the 'horizontal' bag is approx 1.6" wide by 6.5" long of about 3/4" thick, the 'vertical' bag is approx 1.6" wide by 1.6" high of about 0.6" thick.

It's easy to replace to one bag config ('normal' front bag), if needed. I have prepared this matter....just in case considered not legal.

Anyway, there are other rests that has the same/similar config as my prototype, and seem that they have been used in competitions without problem? ... So I "assume" that it's legal...at least for short range centerfire BR match. I'm not sure for the other disciplines.

My friend Rob Carnell in Australia just used the neo prototype in a competition, last week...no problem, he won the 100 yds agg.
My friend in the UK also have used the neo protoype in 600 yds match a few days ago...no problem, and they won the 1st place also.

seb.

Seb
I have never used a co-axial rest and just wanted to let you know any top needs to be rock steady for a heavygun in order to run your shots.

Hey Lynn,

I've got several rests and IMO, having tried it, it's actually EASIER to keep a Heavy steady on a coax. If the coax will take the weight there is no-nada-ZERO downside to it and Seb's absolutely WILL take the weight, I understand the mechanism.

I've heard from many people about how you "have to hold the joystick when you shoot or it will drop".......... which "can be a pain and mess your group" and such. Always from people who don't own a coaxial rest!

They WORK

They're SOLID

Except for the Farley Compact..... it's missing parts and will move on recoil.

A proper coaxial with all the mechanism will carry the weight of a small quadruped and move it with your fingers...... and smooth like oil on glass........

al

Back