The Haydon BAT 222 Rem.

Slowshot

Yes, the Russ Haydon 222 Rem. BAT has arrived. Russ and I took it to Tacoma R&R yesterday afternoon to start breaking in the barrel. We were cleaning after each round and fired only about 15 rounds all together. The trigger is so light that I never felt in control as it went off. As a result the best 100 yard group I achieved was too embarrassing to describe. Russ, however, fired a nice tight one hole group with little effort near the end.

Dscn1530.jpg

Dscn1528-1.jpg

I like your rifle very much! A 222 is on my bucket list as well. After an interesting conversation with a top gun smith the other day, i think a 222REM is a good choice, and a little different to. Will you compete with this rifle, or is it just for relaxation? Tell us more about it. What barrel what reamer, free bore, what bullets have you tried, what powders, all the good stuff! Lee

Awesome rifle and the bolt is on the "right" side of the stock too.......which makes it even better.
Which BAT action did you use?..........Ian

The Action is a left handed BAT SB14, 1.4MF.

First, I intend to shoot the rifle for the fun of it. As to competing, I will eventually attend a match or more and shoot along with the rest. Whether or not I will actually be competing remains to be seen. I am aware that I got into this game pretty late in life. This is my first serious centerfire target rifle. I have a serious flaw in my shooting skill set. I have yet to show any ability to read the wind. This will greatly decrease my ability to truely compete.

Now if my shots wander, I know it's me...not the rifle. Russ demonstrated that well the other day. It gives me a lot to shoot for. Don't you think?

it is Marsha,
say that barrel looks like Russ short and fat, no wait he now runs 1/2 marathons, and has lost 40 pound,s that is just sick, why can't he be fat like the rest of us (or at least me)

Jeff

Russ is a good one to know. Add Marcia to that list also. Or is it Marsha?
I can tell you aren't seriously into shooting just yet; there are fishing poles in the back ground. I don't know anyone who fishes and shoots well.
The fire suit is on.

Many times in my life, I have been at the right place at the right time or met eactly who I needed to meet right at that moment. Meeting Russ and Marsha when I was first getting serious about shooting was one of those times. Actually it was another gunsmith (Tim Mullins) who sent me to Russ when I started asking questions he could not answer. Thanks Tim.

I haven't fished in over 25 years. Back then I was living on a boat, fishing every day. I just can't seem to get rid of the fishing gear. It follows me from home to home as the years pass.

If you can't find me at home, try the 25-200 yard range at Tacoma R&R (M-F). If I am not there, I am probably the only person at the rimfire range (still trying for the elusive 250/25X score on an RBA target with my Rem. 37).

Funny...no one commented on the rare left handed Weaver T-36.;)

Last edited:
You are darn straight Russ and Marsha are super great folks! I also try to send business their way whenever I can.

They still do the burger feed along with the matches at TR&R?
Nic.

russ is a good one to know. Add marcia to that list also. Or is it marsha?
I can tell you aren't seriously into shooting just yet; there are fishing poles in the back ground. I don't know anyone who fishes and shoots well.
The fire suit is on.

francis my good man how are you ? My son and i caught enough bass last summer to fill a big dump truck!!! We do the catch and release deal ,, hope all is well with you and yours ,,, just sayinn !!!!! Jim

Don it was nice meeting you last night. You will have a lot of good times with that rifle. Russ and Marsha brought Don to a monthy guys night out. A bunch of guys talking guns and varmint hunting. He's hooked now.

Jeff

Slowshot, Beauty of a rifle and caliber! Is it a 14 twist? What barrel and reamer? Please share your progress.

Best of luck, Peter.

Slowshot, Beauty of a rifle and caliber! Is it a 14 twist? What barrel and reamer? Please share your progress.

Best of luck, Peter.

I keep getting these questions about the action, trigger, barrel etc. Each part of the rifle is what Russ recommended. After doing my own research, I asked Russ to build me a 222 Rem with a left handed BAT action, Jewell trigger and Kreiger Barrel. Then fit it to the Kelbley HC FB stock that I have picked out. Russ agreed that I had made good choices. Then he made all of the rest of the additional choices and built it for me.

You may not realize how new to rifles and ignorant I am. Here's a sample: What's a reamer?

I will be back at the range (tomorrow?) for a load testing session. It all depends on the weather. I do not read the wind well enough to test anything in wind and rain like we have experienced since the end of last week.

Last edited:
Slowshot, I am sure Russ has it figured out for you. The technical stuff is interesting especially as it relates to your success.

A reamer is the cutting tool that shapes the chamber, neck, throat, lead etc. It creates the space that the cartridge fits in. The size and dimensions are very exacting especially in a target or competition rifle. View attachment 12263

Rate of twist is the number of inches of travel the bullet makes to rotate one complete revolution. 1:14 twist is common for a .222, the bullet makes one complete revolution every 14".

Keep us posted about your shooting and reading the flags & wind. Always interested in learning.

Take care, Peter.

Slowshot, I am sure Russ has it figured out for you. The technical stuff is interesting especially as it relates to your success.

A reamer is the cutting tool that shapes the chamber, neck, throat, lead etc. It creates the space that the cartridge fits in. The size and dimensions are very exacting especially in a target or competition rifle. View attachment 12263

Rate of twist is the number of inches of travel the bullet makes to rotate one complete revolution. 1:14 twist is common for a .222, the bullet makes one complete revolution every 14".

Keep us posted about your shooting and reading the flags & wind. Always interested in learning.

Take care, Peter.

I may have overstated my ignorance a bit ( I prefer that to overstating my knowledge). I am aware of barrel twist. My rifle has a 1:14 twist, making 50 gr. - 55 gr. bullets the best. I am using 52 gr. Berger target bullets and Lapua brass, while I test different powder loads.

My grandfather, father and one of my brothers all were machinists, so I know a bit about working with metal. Still, I am new to firearms, compared to most of you and ask a lot of questions, as that is how I learned nearly everything I know.

Last edited:
Slowshot,

Thanks for share'n.... Just a sweet little centerfire ya got there.. Love tha DUCE!
IMR/H 4198......... Reloader 7..... VV130... AA2015. All very capable with the Berger 52's...

Have a ton a fun there..!

cale

Back