Test Indicators for barrel/chambering work ?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have use for vertical test indicators on a lathe? I don't have any but I can envision that they would be useful on a mill.

Yes, quite often, because alot of lathe work is indicating and turning to external diameters, where a vertical dial indicator is best suited with its larger dials and more robust plungers, not inhibited by tight internal bore restrictions..................Don

While that may be true Jerry, using .0005 to indicate accuracy still seems weak to me! :) Might as well just say .001, it's certainly not a "tenths indicator," more like a "half a thou" indicator......

al
Al, I also have an Interapid 0.0001". The 0.0005" was just used for the picture. With the sensitivity of an Interapid a 0.0005" can be used for final alignment if you pay attention to where the dial hand is. It just doesn't display 0.0005" movement. You can read to 0.0001" with it too.

One problem with digital measuring instruments, they give a false sense of accuracy. A top quality analog instrument will beat a cheap digital instrument any day of the week.

While that may be true Jerry, using .0005 to indicate accuracy still seems weak to me! :) Might as well just say .001, it's certainly not a "tenths indicator," more like a "half a thou" indicator......

al

I think Jerrys' primary intent in the referenced photo was to show his rigid setup of a "tool post/holder" mounted long-reach dial-indicator, in keeping with the topic he was replying to, and not the resolution of the indicator itself, which was just being used a photographic prop.

I think Jerrys' other intent was to show off his superior photographic skills; uncluttered backgounds, good lighting without background shadows, great resolution, and pristine machining equipment that would make my surgeon blush in envy...............and make us other amateur photogs look like rubes in comparison.........................Don

I I think Jerrys' other intent was to show off his superior photographic skills; uncluttered backgounds, good lighting without background shadows, great resolution, and pristine machining equipment that would make my surgeon blush in envy...............and make us other amateur photogs look like rubes in comparison.........................Don

Don, my other intent was to not show the ratty paint job on my 1944 South Bend Heavy 10! It was stripped for painting about 6-8 years ago. I still have two unopened quart cans of machinery grey. I have found it much more fun to do barrels and shoot than paint.

My wife still has two unopened gallon cans of pale yellow for the master bedroom. There again I have found it more fun to....not paint... than to paint. Sleeping in the garage is not as bad as it is cracked up to be.

Don, my other intent was to not show the ratty paint job on my 1944 South Bend Heavy 10! It was stripped for painting about 6-8 years ago. I still have two unopened quart cans of machinery grey. I have found it much more fun to do barrels and shoot than paint.

My wife still has two unopened gallon cans of pale yellow for the master bedroom. There again I have found it more fun to....not paint... than to paint. Sleeping in the garage is not as bad as it is cracked up to be.

Took me 1 and 1/2 years to finish painting a 6' x 8' utility bathroom. People were beginning to think the blue masking tape was a new form of trim.

"pale yellow for the master bedroom".........I feel your pain man.............Don

Back