tasco 705

MD5200

good morning all i was hoping some of you would have some info or comments on ths tasco 705 target, the one i;m looking at is a 6x18 variable with external adjustments. thanks md

It's a decent scope for informal target and varmint shooting. The front mount must be mounted on the barrel which is one reason most folks would not recommend it for serious bench rest competition shooting. It's probably one of the better scopes Tasco offered, however, the optical and mechanical quality is not on the same level as a good, modern Leupold. I've seen them sell on internet sights in the $300 range so some folks like them.

705 tasco

thanks for the info 219 don. i saw one bring 227 yesterday on ebay and one just like it brought 640 this am. one of these days i'm going to build a bench gun using an old highwall action i've had forever. my serious shooting days are over and this rifle will be just for my enjoyment. i thought if a 705 could be bought right it would look nice. i like the variable feature, but for that kind of money one should buy a unertl or lyman. i like the looks of the 3200 redfield but i'm afraid if it needed to be worked on no one seems to want to. thanks again md

Re the Redfield 3200, try Parsons Scope Svc. in Ohio. I believe he will work on a Redfield 3200. Much better than Mr. Lee in Florida. Would not hurt to call and ask. Re the $600 + for the Tasco, there's one born every minute. But thats what makes the world go 'round. The average price for a Tasco 705 from 2000 thru September 2008 was $379. The range of prices was $300 to $511. I know because I tracked the prices. One NIB went for $310. I used to sell scopes on ebay. Stopped recently when they forced all sellers to use paypal. Good luck with your Hi Wall. Keep your loads on the mild side. I've had a few and all suffered from difficult extraction when the loads approached max.
Bill B.

thanks for the info bill. do you know when tasco made the 705. was it their only model in that style. any idea on how many they made, and when. the single thing i liked about the 705 was the variable feature. seems like if you wanted to change power on the unertls and lymans you had to change eyepieces. i'm not sure why the concern on my part about getting a scope worked on because i've never had to have one worked on. have you used the 705 and if so what were your likes and dislikes. also have you had any expierence with the 3200? bill i do appreciate the info. thanks md

Tasco made the 705 in the early 1970's, I do not know for how many years or the number made. They also offered the same model scope in a straight power during this time period. Mod.706 in 12X, 707 in 16X, 708 in 20 X and 709 in 24X. I've never used one but have looked through a number of them and never noticed a problem. I can't comment for certain on their clarity at the range or in the field as I have never used one to actually shoot but the clarity appears to be decent. The Redfield 3200 was offered in 1968 through 1982. It also came in 12, 16, 20 and 24X. I had one of each and used them all for target and field. The 12X I currently use on a Rem 700 in 6MM Rem, the 16X is on an FN Mauser in 220 Swift, the 20X I recently sold and I don't remember what rifle I used it on, the 24X I have mounted on a Mauser built by Bob Wallack many years ago in 219 Don Wasp. It was originally on a 243 Win. I've had it since about 1970 and it's still clear as a bell and mechanically perfect. All work quite well at the 100 and 200 yard range and in the field. The best shot I've made with the Swift was a woodchuck at 450 yds. according to the rangefinder. I actually jumped up and shouted when I heard the plop and saw it drop down flat. I have a new, unused 3200 in 24X that I picked up a couple of years ago but I haven't decided where I'm gonna put it yet. Too many toys, not enough time.

thanks for the info bill. i had never seen a 705 tasco or a 3200 redfield until in the last year or so. i live about 180 miles from denver and used to go there pretty regular. a friend of mine had a redfield sope that had some kind of problem and he asked me if i would drop it off at redfield the next time i went to denver. so i did. the factory was in an old part of denver that had become very residental. it was a rather plain building and when i rang the buzzer they just buzzed it and let me in. the guy that met me was a realy neat guy and when i told him why i was there he said well lets take a look. he took the scope over to a window that had a permenat scope mount. he put the scope in it and did some tests on the windage and elevation and said to me the problem is in your mounting system. he said check it out and if you need some help let me know. he was kind of busy then but said if i came back at another time he would show me how the women employes did the crosshairs. i did'nt make it back but i've often wished i had. that was in the early 80's. bill here's a thought why don't you put the 24 where the 12 is and sell me the 12. its shame to let a new scope stay new. thanks md

I have always had good luck with alot of the older redfields. I have one that needed some work, and I was advised to try Ironsight. They are supposedly as good as it is for repairing the older redfields and weavers. They even had some NIB Weaver Steel tube scopes for sale.

Back