T36 minimum focus/maximum elevation

Again, with respect, regarding Weaver's instructions: It doesn't cost Weaver a dime when you mar up your scope or (God help us) kink it by shimming; actually it might help their scope selling business.

I agree with your remark regarding "tightness"; unfortunately, not too many of us have good, reliable, inch-pound torque screwdrivers.

I simply don't see why anyone would mess around with a 2 cent shim on a $400.+ scope. But then, that's just me.

Again, only my opinion. Worth just what you paid for it.

Exactly!

Thanks guys..

Ok, I was asking the question with knowing the answer.. well sort of, and was hoping you guys could shed a little light light on it. You have!

It appears that with a T36 it will be very close. From what I gather some rifles make it, some dont.

It also appears that the rifles that do make it, make it only just and are very close to running out of elevation.

Also consider this if you are running close to full elevation. With a rimfire at 200yds/meters, the condition you are shooting in can dictate amount of elevation needed. Shooting into a head wind will require more elevation, and it can be a fair amount. Now, if you are close to maximum, and then need a little more, you could have issues.

For myself, I really do not want to be using the scope at the maximum elevation, but be maybe a good 5MOA from it.

I think I will need approximately 10MOA added to put me where I want to be. I should be able to shoot from 25yds to 200m with the same setup. This could mean 0.012" shim needed!

As above though, it seems some rifle can get there, and others cant.

I have just bought a Stolle Swindlehurst/Edge/Lilja setup using Kelbly bases and rings.

I will first set the rifle up and shoot it and see how I go. If more MOA needed, I will have my gunsmith do the shimming as it will be done correctly and professionally.

Cheers
AI

This is what I was talking about. Three shims, an orange/grey/orange so they show up.
ShimmedScope.jpg

You can see now why you don't need a lot of pressure to hold the scope tight plus the cant in the rings.

I will send you a PM on RFC.

Jim

Back