T/C Contender accuracy

Travelor

My Club has a "Old Farts" match each Thursday morning that we shoot from bench rests with 22 LR. I have recently added a class for pistols to be shoot at the NRA A23-5 target at 50 yards. I have a T/C Contender with a 22LR Match bull barrel and have added a 3" flat forearm for shooting it off the bags.

Now the rub and I rest the problem squarely on me - the gun will shoot no better than 9 Ring accuracy as an average (about 1-1.5" groups) using a number of brands of ammo from Wolf to 10X. At times the rounds will go wildly up,down, or right,left as much as 2" from the POA. I am shooting from a concrete bench with wind flags.

The front rest is a SEB and the rear bag is a 4x6 pillow style bag filled with heavy sand. Scope is a cheaper 6-24 scope but I do not think this is the problem as I have used this scope with success on rifles before.

I have a Anschutz Exemplar and I can shoot X's all day with it at the same range, ammo, and target.

What is going on????????????????? Hold?????????????

I frankly have no idea but I would question possibly the quality of the barrel but more so the fact that the shots are moving vertical could it have something to do with the break open design in general? How does one use the same firing pin for ignition between the rimfire and a centerfire? Consistent ignition is very important in rimfire...can the firing pin hit at exactly the same place each time?

Charlie

If that is a factory barrel, that is mostly where your problem lies. not unusual for the chamber to be off center, Oversized, too deep , Crowns not centered to bore or uneven. Then we get into the mechanics. But lets back up. First and foremost is technique, if you are resting the grip on a bag that's going to toss stuff vertically. If you get the a little tilt off the horizontal plane that's another flyer. Scope can account for some more depending on cross hair thickness. and of course wind and light ( lots of nasty little eddie currents that never show on most flags) lighting also pulls your shot yep even when using a scope.
So here is a suggestion to start to find out what's up take a vise and some clamps to range, clamp vise to bench clamp barrel in vise so that nothing else is supported ( ya need something fairly solid to pad vise jaws ) clamp unit in vise and fire a few shots with what ever flavor you are using ( suggest trying more than one flavor) of course ya want to be on a target so ya can see results doesn't matter where. in this fashion ya can get some idea of what the barrel is about which is why ya want more than one flavor to try out, 25 yards or fifty will work fine for this. What we have done here is taken most of you out of the equation and are getting some idea of what flavor it likes/ condition of barrel.

Sloppy hinge pin is something we used to run into back in the silly-wet days, loose forearm mounting another( used to bed the foreams just like a rifle action), loose scope base. Scope not properly set for parallax at distance required. Scope not properly focused for your eye. That will keep ya busy for a bit. Chris

Also TC not in same league as Annie so that is a unfair comparison. Kinda like a box stock 1022 against a flull blown bench gun. ( I have annies and TC's)

Shoot 150 to 200 rounds without cleaning and see if the groups tighten up. Don't clean the bore after that.

We have a Ransom Rest with T/C grip adapters at our Club. I have set it up for use with a concrete bench.

If the weather EVER clears up I will test the barreled action.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try NOT resting the pistol grip with a bag next trip to the range.

George

I'm going with blades that it's the arrow and not the Indian. I'm also departing with blades in suggesting that you find the problem and fix it. Unless you are just one of those that won't give up on a gun....give up now and save yourself the enjoyment.

One difficulty that arises with tc's and some other break open units is the under lug is welded on after chambering. This can cause a bunch of distortion in various areas of the barrel assembly notably the chamber itself. Back in the day there was a constant rumor going around that the barrels were chambered and crowned using a drill press. ( I do not think that was true,but gee wilikers, some that I have seen over the past 30 years sure tend to give some creedence to it)

Back