stuck cases

Rusty or rough chamber. Grit between the case and chamber which on firing embeds in the case and chamber.
Possibly a poor or broken extractor is not pulling a normal fired case from the chamber.

new chamber,

slick as glass,could it be too polished?? rounds chamber fine, about one of four sticks, extractor(rem) "walks" over the rim and i have to tap it out with a cleaning rod. the extractor "looks" fine, do i need a sako style????

A common cause of tight brass after firing is that the brass was not sized enough during the reloading precess. Even in a benchrest chamber if brass is not a net 0.001" smaller or so on the body extraction is difficult. Not extraction itself but the break-away of camming the action, even to the point of breaking the extractor, or in the extreme, breaking the bolt handle loose from the bolt itself.

Way back we had an outbreak of extraction issues with the Sportco/Ommark target action here in Australia. The action was similar to the Remington in appearance & function, but had a small spring loaded pivoting extractor. As age caught up with the action after a decade or two or three, it lost some of its primary extraction due to wear.

However, the main cause of the extraction difficulty was poor cleaning technique. Shooters would wipe out chambers with cloth wrapped around the PH style jags we favour hereabouts, which would tend to force solvent & grit up into the case body/shoulder junction of the chamber until such time it became a little rough ring that resisted the puny remaining primary extraction just enough to limit extraction.

The solution was to spin (by hand) a .45 bronze brush in the chamber & dislodge the grit.

If you have a bright colored frosty ring at that junction on your cases, then maybe you have the same issue.

slick as glass,could it be too polished?? rounds chamber fine, about one of four sticks, extractor(rem) "walks" over the rim and i have to tap it out with a cleaning rod. the extractor "looks" fine, do i need a sako style????

It sounds like the rear of the chamber is too tight for the brass you have...

You do not need a new extractor, you need to get the chamber/brass fixed...

Take one of the sticky cases and see if it repeatably sticks... if it does smoke the case with a lighter and jam it in the chamber again... then inspect the smoke and see where the problem is...

Last edited by a moderator:
sizing lube

buildup has caused hard extraction when I failed to clean the cases off properley,and letting the case rest in the chamber after firing:eek:

MBP ..........

Measure the width of all your fired cases just above the web (solid part of the case), and I'll bet that you'll find that only the sticking cases have a larger diameter in this area. They're either not getting resized enough or your chamber is too tight at the rear. (This also helps you determine the exact No-Go size of your particular chamber.) I've seen this symptom on a number of custom tight chambers. Your sizing die must be compatable with your particular chamber. (Getting a resizing die "pretty close" isn't good enough.)

To a MUCH lesser degree:
1.) If a chamber is as slick as a mirror, cases won't grip the chamber wall as well as they should during firing. Cases are then pounder harder against the bolt.

2.) Sizing lube not removed from handloads can do the same thing.

3.) If the camming surface on your bolt is bone dry, it can restrict bolt lift enough to make it tough to break fired cases loose from the chamber.

- Innovative

THANKS for all of the help/responses

new and clean brass, new chamber --I've got a lot of tinkering to do---it sounds most the most likely culprit is inadequate resizing---I'm as far in as I can go--if I take a few thsds off of the base of my die It'll create headspace----if I used my chambering reamer to make my die could it work?? or a small base die, if made---Kiff reamer ,most likely it is on tight side--I'll try to measure it at some point ahead of his index mark and check against resized and fired cases---I wish I had all the stuff to try right here at work-- thanks again--any input is greatly appreciated mp

Last edited:
new and clean brass, new chamber --I've got a lot of tinkering to do---it sounds most the most likely culprit is inadequate resizing---I'm as far in as I can go--if I take a few thsds off of the base of my die It'll create headspace----if I used my chambering reamer to make my die could it work?? or a small base die, if made---Kiff reamer ,most likely it is on tight side--I'll try to measure it at some point ahead of his index mark and check against resized and fired cases---I wish I had all the stuff to try right here at work-- thanks again--any input is greatly appreciated mp

A chambering reamer can be made to make a seating die, not a sizing die in most cases.

If new brass fully sized does not fit your chamber, your chamber needs to be made larger.

What cartridge? Purpose of rifle? If it is the "web" of the case that is the problem a couple of thou can be polished out of your chamber... but that is why I asked purpose of rifle..

I have a tight .270 reamer and the maker told me he was uncomfortable making it that tight at the rear of the case, that I might have problems with some brass... I wish I had listened to him... chambers with that reamer are nothing but a pain in the ass.

more info

the resized (loaded) cases chamber up easily---sides right in---I used a felt tip marker and saw similar marks as with my "normal" gun---

Check the diameter of unfired, new brass and fired, unsized brass on the head. I'll bet your chamber is to small. No amount of sizing will help. You can't size the brass down smaller than it was to start with. The brass has a memory and upon firing will go back to where it was before sizing. Two things you can do. Polish the back of the chamber out a couple of thousands or have a new, larger reamer made and go back in and just kiss your current chamber with the new reamer. New reamer would be the way I'd go because your going to have the same problem on the next chamber with your current reamer.

Dave

Why are we excluding pressure?

What cartridge?

needPics.gif

dennis thanks

hunting rifle-short throated for berger 185 vld, 300 rum repeater--I'm thinking chamber is too tight. thank you . sorry no pics---I have to peck these messages one letter at a time(cannot type) or I could respond to your messages in order.... and Im very technologically handicapped, no retarded.

hunting rifle-short throated for berger 185 vld, 300 rum repeater--I'm thinking chamber is too tight. thank you . sorry no pics---I have to peck these messages one letter at a time(cannot type) or I could respond to your messages in order.... and Im very technologically handicapped, no retarded.

mbp,

try T9

:D

al

BTW....... your chamber's too tight.

If the chamber is small why can't he just go a couple more thou with the reamer?
Seems the simplest solution.
For a hunting rifle, why even remove the barrel?

Would be interesting to see the brass.

Scratches on it?
Change in diameter after fired?
Have you tried trimming the case a little?

If the chamber is small why can't he just go a couple more thou with the reamer?
Seems the simplest solution.

If the headspace is correct now, by the time you increased the taper at the rear of the chamber a thou or 2, you would have extremely excessive headspace.

Dennis is right. If you were to use the same reamer, your shoulder would be cut WAY too long by the time your case width increased by even .001"

In fact, the taper on some calibers is so slight that you would cut the shoulder almost .050" forward, just to increase the chamber width by .001"

- Innovative

Back