Stripping Weaver T25 Scope.. Help!

A

Arcane Art

Hi all.. I have decided to strip my Weaver T25 in an effort to polish the lenses which are dirty with age.. I have spoken to a chap who was recommended for the task - but he claims it is not economical and I should just buy a new scope.. I find this somewhat hard to believe, and hard to swallow, given that I do not want to separate the T25 from my 40XBBR..

Is there anyone who can help with information about the takedown of a T25? I will work it out, no doubt, but help would be appreciated..

Please note that because I live in New Zealand (NOT the USA) I am unable to economically send the scope to any mainland USA person/company to complete this work.

EEHHHhhh.....I don't think I would.........

do that. First, you use the word "polish" rather than "clean", and for me, that brings images of horror....

Are the lenses THAT "dirty"?? What I WOULD do, is perhaps go to an opthomologist and find a gentle, perhaps non-sudsing preparation in your area that they professionally recommed to protect the coatings. I'd also use some canned air (camera or electronics shop) to get the "big" stuff off, then a fine brush to lift off the lint and junk. It helps to charge this w/static electricity to help the lint stick to the brush by passing it over the backside of your wrist, I'm told, (haven't tried this yet, maybe when your winter sets in).
Move from the OUTside of the lens toward the center, then lift the dirt up and off. Do the same when you finally use the paper. If you go from the center to the outside, you may grind the debris in at the lens/barrel interface.
When using the paper, I was told not to put the cleaner on the lens, but, with clean hands, crumple the paper slightly, then put a drop on the paper, then go to work.

Then, get some really nice lens caps. ;) HTH

Last edited:
Thanks Brian - But I need to get inside to do the lenses which are visibly dirty on the inside.

I have been told (and not by "the guys") that you can get a fungus on the lenses -- inside the scope, or housing, for camera lenses.

If that is the problem, the coatings on the lens are essentially toast. That was the diagnosis for both my old BalVar 24, and some Hasselblad camera lenses. Painful diagnosis to receive.

So clean it if you want, but keep your expectations low for a bit . . .

Thanks Brian - But I need to get inside to do the lenses which are visibly dirty on the inside.

The steel "T" series Weaver scopes were famous for "O ring" out gassing which coated the inside of the lenses. Akerman would take the scopes apart and return them to like new condition. If yours is the steel T series, there is no doubt this is the problem. It would happen faster if the scope had set in sunlight on a rifle rack at a match. Otherwise it took awhile, even years before this happened.

You might try calling Bill Akerman @ 505 589 3833 (this is an old number) and see if he would walk you through it. The information I have for Bill is old and I don't know his status, but...it's place to start.

Good luck,
Virg

Virg, my thanks for a very helpful answer - you hit the nail on the head. I will try and track Mr Ackerman down.. With thanks..

Below is what I have on file - the data is a year or so old... I put spaces in the email address in the hope that the spam bots won't read it.

:)

Pete Landers

-------------

Optical Services, Co
Attn: Bill Ackerman
PO Box 1174
Santa Teresa, NM 88008
Phone: 915-592-5338
E-mail: oscope @ aol . com

Below is what I have on file - the data is a year or so old... I put spaces in the email address in the hope that the spam bots won't read it.

:)

Pete Landers

-------------

Optical Services, Co
Attn: Bill Ackerman
PO Box 1174
Santa Teresa, NM 88008
Phone: 915-592-5338
E-mail: oscope @ aol . com

Lander's information is correct. Bill Ackerman is the best person anywhere to have work on "T" series Weavers. I would bet he can restore your T-24 to near new condition. Worth the time and expense to send it to him. He has done at least 6 different T-6's for me.

The back end and the lens carrier is easy. If you figure out how to take apart the objective let me know. There are 3 really small screws (I think they're screws) that go from the center out right next to the outer objective lens. Jackie probably knows how to get it apart.

Here some pictures of the rest of it.

Mike

IMG_0288.jpg

After you've taken apart and cleaned the scope, doesn't there need to be some sort of "purging" and refilling with some sort of gas when you have it back together??

It's not often re done and after seeing inside some scopes I highly doubt nitrogen stays sealed in there for very long in the first place.

Can anyone shed some light on getting the objective apart?

Mike

Back