Stock question

Seb, it looks to me that you have taken the rule that the forend must be flat or convex there by disallowing a concave forend and moved it to the rear to the butt stock. I see nothing illegal about this at all. What you have done is very similar to what has been done with front and rear rests. In the rules, you can't have mechanical windage and elevation adjustments in the rear sandbag. So, it's just about common practice now to have mechanical windage and elevation adjustments in the front rest. What you couldn't have legally in the rear rest was moved to the front rest. If your stock was declared illegal because you moved the concave forend to the rear, then with that same logic every front rest with mechanical windage and elevation adjustment would have to be declared illegal as well. Declaring a mechanical windage and elevation front rest illegal is not going to happen.

I agree with Don on the guiding means argument in that I don't believe there is any way that a rifle can be fired off sandbag rests and be returned to firing postion such that the rifle will not have to be optically re-aimed for each shot.

I can understand your logic behind making the ears on the butt detachable so that they can be replaced with a more conventional bottom piece. It would be a shame to travel to a major match and have the stock declared illegal especially when you travel from Indonesia to the US to do it. It makes sense to have a backup plan without having to have the extra expense of having a complete backup rifle.

Your stock looks very innovative and I wish you much success with it. Kudos to you for your thinking outside the box and the success you have already had with your benchrest equipment especially with working with adverse laws on firearms ownership in your country says a lot for you. The resolve and extra expense that shooters outside the US go through to compete makes us in the the US who complain about gas prices to compete seem like wusses. Good luck at the Super Shoot.

Last edited:
Kudos to you for your thinking outside the box and the success you have already had with your benchrest equipment especially with working with adverse laws on firearms ownership in your country says a lot for you. The resolve and extra expense that shooters outside the US go through to compete makes us in the the US who complain about gas prices to compete seem like wusses. Good luck at the Super Shoot.

I apreciate your words Mr. Bryant.
I live in a country with very restrictive gun laws and will make a large investiment in time and money to attend the IBS School in East Tawas, MI in June.
What moves me is a truly passion for shooting sports.

Thanks you for your time and the kind words, Mr. Bryant.
Nothing special with me here. I'm just an average Joe....just love this sport and love to learn.

seb.

Hi Seb,

How much more laterally stable is the new stock compared to a traditional style 3 inch forend stock?

Do you have a picture of the new stock sitting in the new rear sand bag and front rest?

Does the new stock ride evenly in both the front and rear bags? I know some others had concerns about the stock having a "4 leg" potential to not properly settle into the bags.

By-the-way, the rear bag turned out looking very professional, you do good work..............Don

Don,

1. I cannot know/tell without the barreled action installed. But empty (without barreled action), the stock with the catamaran piece is laterally more stable/resists torque better than the standard 1/2" flat piece, on a flat surface, or on the front rest & bag.
Especially when the steel weight is secured under/between the catamaran piece.
I think the logic is the lower the center of gravity, and/or the wider the stock, the more stable it is. This is also why I put the weight system on the very bottom.
(Thanks God I bought Mike Ratigan's book!)

2. I will try to take pic soon.

3. I think yes. The stock is just handmade (didn't use milling machine), anyway I am sure that the flat/bottom surface of the fore end & the catamaran/toe are inline, the side edges/corners also paralel.
I tried to put a barrel + the action wood model + scope on the stock, moved it back & forth on a rest & the rear bag, it seemed okay/no problem.

But I might be wrong...I can only know how the stock work after the rifle is completed and shot some groups.

seb.

Hi Don,

Here some pics as promised in #2 above...
I try to put a barrel, wood model of the action & a scope on it....not good...just to show you how it looks as "complete rifle".

right side elevation
Picture1159.jpg

left elevation
Picture1162.jpg

top elevation
Picture1165.jpg

seb.

Last edited:
Hi Don,

Here some pics as promised in #2 above...
I try to put a barrel, wood model of the action & a scope on it....not good...just to show you how it looks as "complete rifle".

seb.

Seb, looks good to me.

One suggestion, determine how the stock tracks by viewing thru the temporary attached scope, then make angular adjustments to the "heel piece" until the scope crosshairs stay perfectly aligned in the horizontal as the stock/rifle is pulled rearward.

This will allow you to get the proper alignment, and is not dependant upon using the real action or your mock-up......... stock tracking will stay the same regardless, and it will be one less thing to have to deal with when you get to Kelbleys.

Another trick that you can use is to make your rear "heel" attachment using 2bolt/attachment points, allow the rear attach point to have a slight excess lateral slop until bolted up, which will then allow for changes in angular tracking of the stock, which in turn will allow you to adjust and get perfect stock tracking. Ive done this with all my multi-piece metalic stocks and is a tremendous advantage over one piece synthetic stocks............Don

Thanks, Don.
Have sent the stock yesterday. Kelbly's would receive it in several days, then we would know if the stock is okay or not? I trust Kelbly's 100%, on all things....although I believe that my stock is okay, and Jim told me that the stock looks good/seems right, I still asked Jim to get a new stock for my barreled action if he thinks that my stock is not okay.

seb.

Thanks, Don.
Have sent the stock yesterday. Kelbly's would receive it in several days, then we would know if the stock is okay or not? I trust Kelbly's 100%, on all things....although I believe that my stock is okay, and Jim told me that the stock looks good/seems right, I still asked Jim to get a new stock for my barreled action if he thinks that my stock is not okay.

seb.

Seb, I am sure that everything is going to work out just fine, and the Kelbleys will take care of any problems that might arise.

Now, all that is left to do is make it to Ohio and enjoy the shoot.

When you started this gunstock project you said that your main goal was to create something different and unique..........well I think you have reached that goal and some.

Garaunteed you will have alot of conversations about your gunstock and sandbag setup at the SS.

Good luck, let us know how the stock works out and how well the shoot goes for you........................Don

Back