steenking Kiff Reamers ennyways....

alinwa

oft dis'd member
So I'm in the middle of a huge (for me) test run, prototyping a new LR hunting setup and I've been churning out the chambering jobs. All sizable chambers.....The test is four different chamberings using 5 different reamers, about 12-15 barrels and 8 different platforms........A heavy BAT setup for baselining, 2 LA Rem700's, 1 SA Rem700, A large tenon Savage, A small tenon Savage and a couple of the new Weatherby Accumarks. A mix of SS and CM steels and makers...

-2 proven and "identical" 300wsm reamers ordered 3yrs apart for use as my baseline
-a blown out 338 Lapua
-a modified 338RUM
-and the 338-378 Wby

-and a 378 WBY that's not part of the test-

I've got brandy-new reamers and oldies, all HSS and none with more than 7 chambering jobs on them. All from PTG.

So far I've been able to test 6 chambers against each other using the 300WSM and the heavily mod'd 338Lapua (three of each) and they all interchange brass.....

AND EVERY REAMER CUTS ON EVERY FLUTE!!!!

ALL's Im saying is.......PTG REAMERS ROCK and to alla' you'se who say "course a reamer only cuts on one flute ennyways" need to check your setup.

I'm not saying other people's reamers DON'T rock equally well, I'm a complete newbie/backyard hacker here.....

But these reamers (and my other 8 small reamers) do not have a "1-flute" cutting problem.

The pic of the blown out 338 case is just to show, these AIN'T EASY CHAMBERS....

The other pics are of a typically loaded reamer just after pulling out. 3/4's in....

:)

Rock On Davey Da' Kiff....

0305161727.jpg

0305161725.jpg

0305161725a.jpg

0305161726.jpg

0305161731.jpg

whooooooo, my fingers hurt from reaming, and now typing this all out LOL

hope the pix take, they're from my oldie-moldie flipphone

Well OK...... so's you can't even SEE the stuff on the flutes, but trust me IT'S THERE!!

Those shots are all of the same reamer, just tipping my hand

LOL

al

I've got a bunch of his reamers..old and new. I've never experienced a problem with Kiff reamers but I have with another makers. He makes a ton of reamers for die makers like Redding. You'd think if there was a problem, they'd know about it and it would be fixed. Me thinks his reamers are fine.:D Not that anyone is above having a bad one get out, but I think the recent posts are likely not telling the whole story all the time. I'm happy with him and their work. Keep it up Dave!

Ptg thread

lengthy discussion pertaining to PTG....ongoing on 6br.com/accurate shooter.com
bill

I've been ordering PTG reamers for years so that I have my own when my smiths retire. The last few reamers have been custom spec'd with full sets of pilots and gauges. Even have the drawings with my name on them as the design. Surprised the daylights out of my then smith when I first showed up with everything in hand.

Dave has been a pleasure to deal with and talk to. Last time I ordered two sets and we spent a lot of time speaking about certain aspects of what I wanted. Since I was traveling he even agreed to hold the pieces until I called for them.

About the only thing out of the ordinary was my last smith said the PTG was really sharp and cut like the dickens so he had to be cautious feeding it in.

Back