Static cling in my drop tube..

E

eww1350

I was setting my Harrells PM to 29 grains using a B/B scale...Before throwing a charge to my scale pan, I use a small glass (medical) vile to throw charges into several times to stabilize the Harrell PM...I did not have any static clinging in my 6 inch drop tube during the 6-10 charges I threw into the glass vile..After getting the B/B scale and Harrell PM to agree on 29.0 grains of V133, I decided to throw a charge into a PPC case..:eek:..static cling in the drop tube..:confused:..everytime I would throw a charge into the PPC case I would have about .3 grain cling to the inside of the drop tube...I could switch to the glass vile, and NO STATIC CLING would occur...I can alternate and repeat the same results time and time again...How weird is this..???

Eddie,

I had the same problem - especially on really dry (low humidity) Texas days. I ran a dryer sheet down the inside of my drop tube a couple of times and then dumped a few dozen charges down the new drop tube and the cling stopped.

I really think that a small amount of the powder coating material finally embedded itself onto the tube and that could be the main fix...

Also, be careful to install the drop tube in the right direction. Harrell stamped an arrow lightly on the side of the drop the drop tubes I have. Just be sure to install them with the arrow pointing down...

FWIW,

I am aware of the dryer sheets to remove static cling from the PM drop tube, but...I don't understand the reason why a piece of PPC brass at the end of the drop tube would create the static in the drop tube whereas the glass vile would eliminate it..:confused:

Just a wild guess but maybe it was you that had the static charge and the brass just conducted it while the glass didn't ??

Did you have different (synthetic) shoes on or be on a new floor rug or some such ??

I got a new car and with a certain par of shoes I always get a zap as I shut the door, never do remeber !!

BJS6, I am standing on concrete floors in my shop...same pair of old New Balance "sneakers" can't afford new shoes...cost of reloading components have gone out the roof...I had to make a decision new shoes or more powder/bullets and brass...you know which one wins out..:D
I am dressed like a tramp these days...:D

I was setting my Harrells PM to 29 grains using a B/B scale...Before throwing a charge to my scale pan, I use a small glass (medical) vile to throw charges into several times to stabilize the Harrell PM...I did not have any static clinging in my 6 inch drop tube during the 6-10 charges I threw into the glass vile..After getting the B/B scale and Harrell PM to agree on 29.0 grains of V133, I decided to throw a charge into a PPC case..:eek:..static cling in the drop tube..:confused:..everytime I would throw a charge into the PPC case I would have about .3 grain cling to the inside of the drop tube...I could switch to the glass vile, and NO STATIC CLING would occur...I can alternate and repeat the same results time and time again...How weird is this..???

Ground it.

Exactly Raney2. The glass vial does not contuct the static electrictiy. The brass case does. A lot of people that work on the internals of computers wear a wrist band that has a metal contact with the skin and has a small wire that is grounded to metal part or sturcture. I generally just use the used dryer sheet as it is less trouble. Wipe the inside of your powder hopper and push a dryer sheet thru the drop tube. In most all cases problem solved.
Donald

Haney's right,

The easiest way I've found is to run a light wire from the screw in an electrical outlet or a chunk of metal anywhere in your room, even laying on the concrete floor. If you're at the range stick a nail in the ground.

A teeny weeny 22 ga wire with an alligator clip is sufficient and permanent. Then you can wear whatever you like :D

al

Static in drop tube

Run a ground wire to the measure and dump several loads of powdered graphite through the measure.
Chino69

Whistle on down to your Local Radio Shack, get a spray can of the Anti-Static spray they use on CD's or if your round my age they used to use it on record albums. When you get home, disassemble the powder measure, spray it all good and wet, including inside the drop tube. Let it lay there and dry. Reassemble and you're in business.

Holy Cow: Keep the ground wire away from any electrical outlet! Use a ground run to a metal water pipe, or a separate ground stake driven into the earth. If that outlet toasts, or something weird happens - there was a plug slightly pulled out of the socket, when a brass plaque from a trophy came loose and slid down the wall - it landed on the prongs of the plug and near scared me to death - POOF! Big smoke and sparks until the breaker tripped. I would hate to have the powder measure go hot from a ground faulted outlet where the surge finds me or the measure the shortest route to ground and sets off the powder. I don't allow any electrical equipment in my loading room now, save one ceiling light.

Back